Thursday, 30 March 2017
  4 Replies
  3.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi. We are thinking of taking our 20 year old Newworld Cruiser across to Spain. This will be our first time abroad. When we are out and about in the UK I tow my Smart car on an A-Frame, are we able to take it on the continent? and is it allowed on the ferry or do you have to book 2 vehicles? Please
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Many thanks for your replies. This was just at the thinking stage so we haven't started to plan anything yet. Just sold the house so it will probably go on the back burner for this year.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I don't know how long or where in Spain you intend on going but I would ask yourself is it really worth all the hassle of towing a car. We used to carry a scooter in the trunk of our motor home but never used it. Most Aires/campsites are within walking distance. In fact I am about to put our scooter on sale.
Votes
Undo
Hi Tissy D,

You would book it as a car being towed as a trailer.

If you want to travel stress free the a trailer is the most likely option. We a-frame abroad because I'm confident that its actually all fine and legal (you'll find lots of opposing opinion if you search on the internet).

A similar question was asked recently and to save re-typing it, this was my reply then:

"It all comes down to how confident you are of your own position. At the end of the day its you who might have to talk with the Guardia, who I might say, are very helpful and friendly in our experience - not at all the gun wielding ogres that are often described when Brit forums get on the subject!

The reason a UK resident can drive a UK registered vehicle towing a car on a proper a-frame (not some other device or contraption) is because the UK authorities consider the car being towed to be a trailer. It is a legal combination in the UK and can therefore circulate throughout Europe as such. An example of this circulation rule in practice is that, say, a Spanish resident towing a caravan or large trailer would need separate registration documents for the caravan/trailer but an identical UK setup does not, because that's how it is in its country of registration.

Using an a-frame itself is not covered by law as its never been through the courts to establish its legality - but in the UK the law works that something that is not established as being illegal is legal until that time, which is the opposite way around to the way European law works.

The UK rules state that a car being towed on an a-frame has to comply with UK trailer lighting and braking regulations. In order to do this the car has to have 2 red reflective triangles displayed at the rear - this in itself would be ILLEGAL if the car was not a trailer. The car also takes on the registration number of the towing vehicle in place, not as well as, its own.

A Spanish registered vehicle (or German come to that) would not be able to tow with an a-frame because its against the law, as in specifically illegal, in their own countries. Not so in the UK.

The Spanish police would not really be interested in these details because the basis of law in their country is different to the UKs, they consider that a car is a car and you're not allowed to tow a car with another vehicle. The website N332.es is often quoted as the authority on Spanish law and to a degree it is, being run by officers of the Guardia Civil in the Torrevieja area of Spain and they say point blank that towing a car on an a-frame is illegal. Their information is how 'they' interpret and apply their laws.... Knowing their view I would not a-frame in their area.

I have never been stopped a-framing in Spain. I have been past and have been passed by many Guardia patrols and have even shared a petrol filling forecourt with them - they just weren't interested.

The whole a-frame subject is awash with misinformation as you will have already seen with your research. Strangely most anti a-framers appear to have never even used one but they are reliable authorities on the subject.

In short we have a-framed in Europe without a single issue and would still should we want the car with us. You have to accept that the Guardia officer who 'might' stop you 'might' not understand why you think its OK so you 'might' have to uncouple and you 'might' get a fine. You wont get arrested, vehicle impounded (as I have suggested on Facebook groups) or shot! :)

Obviously I'm not an authority on this but I have done a hell of a lot of research and have made a point of reading between the lines of some of the absolute rubbish that I have seen written - so don't say 'NEILMAC says....' should you get pulled over....."

If you'd like to read the whole thread you'll find it here - https://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk/discussions/9507-towing-with-an-a-frame-in-europe

Hope this helps :)

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
On the ferry you can book it as a trailer.
However it is a grey area, even though an A frame should be legal in Spain under European law because it is legal here.
They are illegal in Spain, I know people who have taken them to Spain and had no problem but there are loads of stories of people being stopped by the police and having trouble.
If it was me I would buy a small trailer to put the car on instead of the A frame :D

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection