Sunday, 08 October 2017
  2 Replies
  4.4K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi everyone
We have recently taken early retirement and going to explore southern Spain for 6/7 weeks before Christmas. Looking for recommendations on using ferry to northern Spain or travelling through France, and Solar panels as hoping to use aires rather than sites.
Going to the NEC show in a couple of weeks and hoping to bag a bargain solar panel but dont know what we want or need.
This is my first attempt to ask a question so hopefully I've done it right.!!
Rate this post:
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello

Congratulations on early retirement::D

I would suggest that you get the highest output solar panel that will fit your MH. Personally we prefer to drive through France, the Bay of Biscay can get pretty rough and we enjoy the driving. Spain can be cold especially through the North and over the central plains, so take some thick jumpers and warm bedding!

Spinner

:D

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I haven't done the trip myself, however when I thought about it before, I think I estimated that taking the ferry to Spain cost double what it would to drive through France. France is lovely and I would drive it myself.

As for the solar panel, I wont bang on with my opinion again, however if you don't plan to stay in one place for more than, say, 4 days, you wont need one.
However if you plan to stay put for a week or two in one place, I agree with Spinner get the highest output one you can and make sure it is a full kit with the controller etc. You can buy them as portable suitcase types or have a fixed one fitted to the roof.
As for a bargain at the show, you will be very lucky.

I met a guy this weekend who has 400w on his motorhome roof and claimed it wasn't enough as he works off his laptop daily so he was adding 2 more panels to make it 800w! A bit excessive maybe but all depends on your power usage.

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection