Tuesday, 07 November 2017
  12 Replies
  5.4K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
I have the above installed in my Rapido V55 cqmpervan which is 9 months old and with 16,000 Kms on the clock. we have had no problems until our last trip. the cassette was 2/3rds full and we travelled over uneven roads in the montains in Italy for the morning. when we got to a service point and i took the cassette out to empty; it had leaked into the bakc channel in the cassette compartment.

there was no evidence of leks, damage or any other thing that could explain this leak. we cleaned, disinfected (repeatedly) and the odour has now gone away. lthough we qere very careful for the rest of the trip and checked frequently under various conditions, it did not reoccur.

has anyone else xperienced htis and is there an explanation?
Rate this post:
Votes
Undo
Unless it becomes a regular occurence I wouldn't worry too much.

The relatively sealed cassette goes through some quite big atmospheric pressure changes when you drive up and down mountains.

I found this out when opening the flap at high altitude... The pressure burst out of the cassette taking liquids with it!

You got off quite lightly :o

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
If the problem persists you could try changing the lip seal.

Spinner
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
My Thetford C200 cassette has leaked the same twice, but both times it was very full and I parked on very sloping ground for a bit. So I put it down to just being too full.

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

Votes
Undo
I did come across someone a couple of years ago who was struggling with this and when I found out he was trying to fit the seal upside down it sorted it.

Has freedom to travel

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
All

thanks for htis.

First, while it was not full, we did go thorugh various hilly roads and they were not the best surfaces. theefore, deduce that, while hte cassette is good, it is not completely sealed so combinaiton of full(ish) and rocky drive, could cause leaks!

just glad it did not build up the pressure resulting in blow back!!!!

will keep you all posted if it happens again.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I put a new seal on mine about 2 years ago.

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
All

thanks for advice regarding replacement seal. However, it is relartively new and the seal is in perfect condition. I usually check at end of each trip and put silicone grease on it to keep it supple (in the toilet manual as recommended).

It seems to be a useful lesson; do not travel on mountaion/uneven roads when the toilet cassette is full (or try and open at very high altitudes!)!

the dealer is going to check it out in December as well so, if any further information, will share it with you all.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
All

as promised, an update!

the dealer looked at the problem and replaced the toilet fittings that connect the toilet to the cassette. it had been fitted badly and was not connecting correctly thus allowing leakage when on the move.

that said, as the winter has arrived, we have not yet tested it fully but seems to be OK.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Fingers crossed it has solved the problem

Kathy and Max dog

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment to animals.”

Votes
Undo
katmax
Fingers crossed it has solved the problem

Or legs crossed if it hasn't!

(sorry couldn't resist :) )

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I resisted commenting that it must be a relief to have it fixed ... :D

Kathy and Max dog

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment to animals.”

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hopefully fixed and i look forward to being relieved!!!!!!!
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection