By sukieduke on Tuesday, 05 June 2012
Replies 14
Likes 0
Views 2.1K
Votes 0
Hello fellow motorhomers. We will be taking our MH to France at the end of the month (thanks for useful tips about staying at City de Europe!) We have heard that some French campsites have reverse polarity. Does anyone know where we can buy an adaptor lead should tis be the case. We have bought a tester kit.
Thanks folks
:unsure:
Have a look on Ebay - there's a few to choose from:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=reverse+polarity&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Have you also got an adapter for the 'old style' French outlets? (Round, 2 pin)

I used to check the supply for reverse polarity each time I plugged in, but I can't remember the last time I did this. Your equipment will work fine in positive or reverse polarity - the only problem would appear is if you tried to work on a piece of electrical equipment with it plugged in, but turned off. The switch might have switched off the return connection, and not the live connection.

If you feel safer, for a few quid, it's worth buying the changeover lead.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Yep agree polarity is irrelevant in practice.
The French are not bothered because all their equipment has double pole switches.
Unless you're planning on taking stuff to bits while it's live? then there is no issue.
Always check your onboard RCD operates where ever you plug in.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi - we've had reversed polarity in Spain, France and Portugal. We always use the tester plug and change our adapter plug accordingly. We have one for reversed and one for normal polarity. It just makes us feel safer - not sure it makes any difference.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
That is so helpful. Thanks everyone! I think we will get one to be on the safe side. Us newbies are not up to risk taking yet.
Thanks again. Feel much happier now :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We also have a 'reversed' continental adaptor having read many posts on the reversed polarity subject.

I'm not sure whether you can actually buy such an adaptor, I had to make ours by buying a second one and physically reversing the wires in one of the plugs. I also marked the lead with coloured insulation tape so that it was obvious which lead it was...

Our reversed lead in use

We also have a plugin tester to establish the polarity in the first place.

Reversed Polarity

Corrected by the lead

I since read that a better conversion lead is made up from a short length of main (orange) cable with a reversed connection at one end. This is used at the van end of the cable run. It means that you don't need any other specially converted adaptors, continental or not.

More recently I don't bother with changing the polarity at all, this is since we stayed on an Aire in Spain which had EHU but showed as reversed. The adaptor was used and all seemed OK, except the polarity changed again on its own after a few hours and then back again a few hours later!

So I gave up and I'm still here to tell the tale
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Buy yourself the plugs and make one. Just put the live wire in the neutral place and neutral in the live. That's it Buddy. Then just connect your adaptor to your lead and plug in.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The main reason for getting reversed live/neutral is using continental 2 pin plugs which are the only way of connecting on many sites. When reversed live/neutral is found rotate the 2 pin plug through 180 degrees and re-insert problem solved. Once when sailing I did find a real reversed live/neutral on a 3 pin blue plug which required a short length of cable with a blue plug and socket but with live/neutral reversed correcting the error. Having a European van it doesn't bother me that much as I have double pole breakers, and in every day use it is not a great problem
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello
The European plug on an EHU cable should have two pins and a hole for the earth. This plug cannot be turned through 180 degrees. If you have a plug with 2 pins only then you have the wrong plug on the cable as there is no earth to your MH

Having no earth is a problem reverse polarity is not.

The correct configuration for a European EHU Plug

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
That's an awesome quote Spinner. Sums it all up perfectly.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Mothy

Was that:-

Or

Motorhoming is about the journey not the destination. The quest for fulfilment before the sun goes down!

Spinner:unsure:

PS Nice to see you back!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello
The European plug on an EHU cable should have two pins and a hole for the earth. This plug cannot be turned through 180 degrees. If you have a plug with 2 pins only then you have the wrong plug on the cable as there is no earth to your MH

The correct configuration for a European EHU Plug

Spinner

Most European sockets including those on many campsites do not use the pin and socket for earth, rather they use the metal springs on either side of the plug to make the earth contact. (some 2 pin plugs fitted to double insulated equipment do not have the earth springs but all the rewireable ones I have used do) So in those cases reversing the plug does solve the problem if it is a problem, as I said it is not for me I have dual pole breakers. I spend my time mainly in Portugal and Spain and have never seen a schuko socket with an earth pin, nor have I seen one in France. I have used the plugs for adapters in case I came up against one but no luck so far.

I agree and you would have seen that in my post that reversed live/neutral in in most cases not a real problem until some one starts working on the circuits or appliances where particular care may be required.

ps To be pedantic it is not reverse polarity, the polarity reverses on AC many times a minute it is reversed live/neutral
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
About motorhoming mate. It really sums up my feelings exactly. It's always the journeys for us. Destinations are just a bonus.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The Spanish Schuco plug has the earth connections on each side these are gripped by the earth claws when inserted in the socket. In France however their version of the Schuco plug has a hole for the earth pin on the socket to make the earth connection, so in this case reversing the plug is not possible.

Making an adaptor to rectify the reversed Live/Neutral, as has been said is very easy, its not rocket science, but for those that are unsure of their wiring skills,they are available in the UK from M/H dealers and camping shops for not a lot of dosh.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Spinner

Yes you are so,correct earth wire is the most important wire reverse polarity is no problem under normal use
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post