By hblewett on Tuesday, 27 November 2012
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 1.8K
Votes 0
We are planning a trip for next summer through Norway then back through Finland, the Baltics Poland & Germany.

the only countries we have visited before will be Belgium and The Netherlands (if we go that way rather than ferry to Esbjerg - still to be decided) and Germany - though we have never been right over to the East side of Germany.

Any tips,about anything relevant, are most welcome.

PS we have Gaslow with one 11kg bottle and space for another - either Gaslow or local. We expect to be gone about 10-12 weeks and will wildcamp mostly where possible, as we are not keen on being 'organised'

Edit PPS we are plated at 3.7 tonnes, which we know will cost us in Norway on the tolls and ferries and probably elsewhere (but at least we stay legal with the extra bit of payload).
Hi guys, We did a north run 3 years ago. Went throu north Germany into Denmark, across the bridges into Sweden, up to Finland (dropped in on Santa) he lives just on the Artic Circle.
Carried on into Finmark, Norway to North Cape.

Came back via coast of Norway cross to the islands and went south crossing back into Norway at Bodo. Home via Flam Oslo and back into Sweden taking the ferry to Germany again, Just in time for the beer fest. I can try and answer you may have.

Cheers John and Pam.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Yes yes yes do this trip! We did exactly that and it was amazing. Can't fault any of the places. We loved scandanavia, but also the baltics were awesome too, if a little more challenging. Check out our blog http://WWW.wanderingeurope.co.UK for info on our trip. Feel free to ask a y questions. We mostly wild camped the entire time.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks James. We are looking forward to it - the ferry is now booked to Esbjerg for the end of May, the travel insurance is sorted (more of a problem this year with my 'history' now I'm a 'proper OAP :ohmy: ). And the motorhome insurance and breakdown is sorted after a bit (no, a lot!) of grief - see new thread!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We had an unbelievable amount of trouble finding insurance and breakdown as our can isn't a recognised conversion, regardless of the dvla classification.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We are also planning the trip but not this summer as my daughter is getting married. Please keep us updated on your trip. Do you know if you need a full Russian visa to visit the little piece of Russia situated between Lithuania and Poland? We were going to pop across to St Petersburg from Helsinki as we understand that you don't need a visa if you arrive by boat and don't stay longer than 3 days. From what I've read the campsite in Helsinki will store the motorhome whilst we are away. However, if we need a full visa to pop across the little piece of Russia then we might as well take the van to St Petersburg.

Elspeth
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Yes you will need a Visa to visit Kalingrad. We didn't bother going there. Most of the Baltics were still very Russian in places, especially if you visit the more Eastern regions. In particular Narva in Estonia has a border crossing to Russia where you can see the two forts facing each other over the river that now seperates Estonia from Russia. Well worth a visit. 95% of its Population are Russian. Latvia still feels very Soviet too, and there are lots of Soviet museums, monuments etc.

Take a look at the Baltic section on our blog for some more info. I thought the Baltics were the most interesting of our trip, although we are very glad we don't live there!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I believe that you can go by the Allegro train from Helsinki to St Petersburg without a visa, bu I cant find any reference to it.

Allegro train

However, there is a report in this blog, which you may have seen?

Europe by camper
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:thumbs:
Hi. you must go over to what was East Germany. Dresden, Colditz around Berlin are amazing areas to visit. Brandenburg and Magderburg to name just two. My nav and I have been through the area twice in the last two years and will be going back. The stelle platz's are brilll.
Follow the Havel and enjoy the views and the people.
Kontiki
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post