By delboy580 on Wednesday, 28 September 2011
Replies 3
Likes 0
Views 2.5K
Votes 0
Hi - we are off to France shortly (first time on the continent) and was wondering if we should be worried about reversed polarity on the electical connections - any advice would be welcome
Many thanks
Del
Hi Del,

You'll get different views from different people you ask on this.....

We carry a polarity checker plug which is cheap and tells you whether the polarity is ok with a series of lights. If it appears wrong then I have a mains lead made up with its plug wires reversed which corrects the problem.

I now don't bother as when staying on a Spanish Aire earlier this year the polarity changed itself every 12 hours on so! :ohmy: sooty10 will confirm this as he was parked next to me at the time

When this was first discovered we just turned the 2 pin adapter plugs the other way around and all was well.... for a while until the supply did it again. As there was absolutely no difference within the vans we gave up and just lived with it.

You will need to make your own mind up as to what you do as some say that reverse polarity can be dangerous.

Have a great trip and keep us up to date on your progress
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil - have just returned from nearly 3 weeks in France and it was brilliant!! I made up a reversed polarity cable before we went and had to use it a few times. We had a great trip through Paris - Dijon - Annecy - Aix-Les-Baines (free parking by lovely lake) - down to the south for a few days sunshine and swimming then back up to Calais via Mende and Chatres. We tried to keeep to keep off motorways as much as possible to get the local 'feel'. Scenery on the mountain roads was stunning but sometimes a bit hairy!!
Once again many thanks for your advice.
Best regards
Del
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Glad you had a great trip Del, sounds like you did an impressive number of kilometres!!

Still not certain about the real problems associated with 'reverse polarity' but nothing wrong with correcting it where you find it.

Please feel free to submit any stopovers that you stayed at so that I can add them to the Club Motorhome database The link to the submission form is here - Motorhome Stopovers in France
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post