By NEILMAC on Friday, 25 November 2011
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 2.2K
Votes 0
While researching and reviewing Aires for the Club Motorhome website this year we have noticed that many payment machines are now being installed at Aires that used to be free or used the old fashioned way of the local police or official collecting the payment required.

The systems that use barriers to exclude entry obviously get round the problem of those folk who try to evade payment - sadly we have seen people scarpering before having to cough up many times.

Barriered entry and exit at Mimizan

I'm not sure the pay and display type will stop the problem unless some official is still employed to enforce the display of valid tickets though :whistle: .

Pay and Display at Gravelines

There are less free Aires these days although there still are many to be found amongst the 1000s that exist thank goodness!
It's a shame there are less free ones. we usually spend the money we have saved in Village shop or restaraunt.

We only travel for a fortnight a year in France (and Spain) half in Aires and half on sites.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi AandM (and :welcome2: by the way).

It is a shame but there are still loads of free ones about so its not all bad news. We too feel more inclined to spend a few €s locally in return when the facility is provided free of charge.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Cant say I mind paying too much when I have too. Many of these locations are just brilliant and compared to UK prices very cheap. Of course I also like the free ones and when we are in France for two or three months at a time the free ones do balance out the cost of the ACSI sites we use for laundry ect. On the whole we think the aires system is great, Paid or free!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We don't mind paying on aires as they are good value. Last summer I calculated that aires cost us £5.14 per night mixing pay sites with free. Also it's convenient to be able to use a credit card and regarding checking, if tickets have been purchased, municipal police often walk sites eg Le Touquet, Honfleur & Le Crotoy. However they tend to come at the same time and have noticed quite a few MHs leaving early! :whistle:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Yes we have also noticed more Aires are payable and have barriers.

It is good that payment machines seem to take our cards as it used to be a problem in France.

Must say we can hardly complain at paying 3€ at Gravelines Pity the machine couldn't let you choose 2 nights rather than having to pay twice. The machine at Gravelines was also a bit temperamental.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I like the barriers it keeps the majority of riff raff out and adds a little security
BTW St valery sur somme has an additional service point this year instead of just the one by the exit that often has a queue. I like to see the money is being reinvested for the users
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The sea level aire at Le Treport is good with barriers and electric but the improved aire up cliff top is nicer and cheaper without hook up and free transport is laid on with the funicular lift. See my gallery for the relevant pictures
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Have no problem in paying 5/6 euro's normally nice places to park,still far cheaper than any sites Cl or normal campsites
in uk .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post