By NEILMAC on Thursday, 13 February 2014
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 2.3K
Votes 0
Prompted by a recent conversation with a Belgian motorhomer at an official Aire in Spain I'm prompted to ask the question - are you prepared to share your favourite motorhome stopover locations?

Personally we are of course, and our doing so was part of creating this website, but I was quite taken aback with the attitude of the Belgian motorhomers who had travelled regularly for some 30 years in their motorhome and were adamant that they kept their findings a secret. They had actually just been moved on from a wildcamping area to the Aire where we met them and they were a little disappointed that they had to share the parking area with others this time. They had just told their motorhoming 'friends' (that had been moved on as well at the same time) that they were moving on to a fictitious location so their destination was not revealed....

They also disapproved of publications and websites that published stopover locations saying that those who did so were 'stupid people'!

Maybe they don't think of it that the Aire is provided (free of charge to users) by the local community and its likely to not be just a kind hearted favour to all, more likely a small source of income to local businesses from motorhomers who might shop/eat/drink etc in the town - especially in these cash strapped times. So maybe keeping the treasure of such a place a secret might not help the provider very much?

This wasn't the first time that I have come across this attitude. Perhaps it is more understandable with some quiet little wildcamping spot in the middle of nowhere that's been personally discovered but official areas?

What's your feeling on this?
That attitude is helping no-one. As there are more motorhomers, so there is an increasing need for stopovers/aires, more communities gain some benefit from our trade, and it spreads the use out to reduce overcrowding, so I totally disagree.

If I found a place for one or two vans in the middle of nowhere I would perhaps keep its location between myself and a few chosen friends.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We are very happy to share our findings. Indeed I look for views of others, as on here, to see if there are new ones to try.
We don't like huge, very popular aires/stellplatz eg Honfleur .... sorry we know we may be out on a limb with this one .... but we also don't like to be alone. There's something comforting we find if there are others nearby ..... and we like the blether even if language is a bit problematic.
And we like good ones to survive..
So share we say..
Arthur
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
What a selfish and very shortsighted attitude, if hardly anyone knows about an Aire location and the visitor numbers are miniscule where is the incentive for the local authority to keep it open.

The fact that they told the other folks a fictitious location speaks volumes about this "person" (I nearly said something stronger), obviously not someone you could turn to if you needed help. Thankfully his type :woohoo: are "hopefully" a tiny minority
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Surely your Belgian acquaintance was a rare bird indeed. I can understand not publishing the location of the wild camping site on the web lest it be over-run and shut down, but official aires are established and publicised. Perhaps he was trying to get away from a boring neighbour? or vice versa!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Not such a rare bird but thankfully in the minority, we've come across similar views before on our travels - more than once I've had a finger wagged at me with semi tongue in cheek instructions not to publish a location and not necessarily wild spots either

As I said in the first post personal wild camping gems are the finders own treasure but this was an official Aire.

Just to expand on the story a little we returned to this Aire 2 weeks after we met the motorhomers and they were still there.... Next morning they departed but asked if we knew where there was an LPG station they could use somewhere nearby, i gave them vague directions as I didn't have any co-ords to which the reply was along the lines of 'so you're ok then as YOU know where to go' :roll:

Anyway our friend travelling with us found them and felt that she should pass the info on. Catching them on the service point she gave them the numbers and asked where they were off to. They wouldn't say and said they could have found the LPG station anyway but their own destinations were their business.

The whole scenario just prompted me to ask for views on sharing or not and I'm glad those folks are in the minority as that attitude helps no one but themselves..... Until the Aires get neglected and close that is
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi I think it's good to share Aires and offical stopping places provided for motor homes as the local authorities service these areas.
But other stopovers that come up just when needed are best left unpublished. We live in Cornwall not a very motor home friendly place at best.We very often go out for a couple of days at a time and use 2 different stops over the last couple of years we've noticed several of these places now closed off after becoming popular after they where advertised on another site
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
It sounds like the people Neil is talkiing about are not very nice people; fortunately most people are much nicer than them
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Well Neil,

I'm just glad that I didn't meet up with them, as that sort of attitude would have peed me right off. :angry:
What a deceitful pair.

Cheers,

Jock.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·