By caromac on Friday, 23 May 2014
Posted in Leisure Interests
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 4.7K
Votes 0
Hi all, I have been racking my brain trying to think of a hobby / pastime for those times in the 'van' when we have walked, read and played enough cards. Can anyone inspire me with their ways of passing time. I see one of the members is interested in naturism but I just wouldn't dare to bare........so ideas of most sorts would be of interest.
Thanks
Well my winter hobby is researching the lives of Scottish female convicts transported to Van Diemens Land (now Tasmania) in the first half of the 1800's. Why female and not male? I wasn't asked to do males :unsure: My research goes here
http://www.femaleconvicts.org.au/
The starting point is to photo the original trial papers in Edinburgh. I store the images on an iPad and on a miserable day in the van I transcribe the documents and e mail them to Hobart. Keeps my brain active. :thumbs:
Arthur
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sounds very interesting - is it a hobby or study? I have toyed with the idea of restarting a degree with the OU but am just unsure how being without internet access at times would impact on that.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Do you knit, crochet or cross-stitch? Perhaps you could draw or paint (don't spill it!) Writing about your tours and sending the articles to magazines is always good, and is of interest to others. It's how I started, three years ago, with what is now quite a good but very flexible career
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sounds very interesting - is it a hobby or study? I have toyed with the idea of restarting a degree with the OU but am just unsure how being without internet access at times would impact on that.

I suppose its best described as a serious hobby. Started out as something just to keep my brain going in dull winter days but it hooked me and I now spend serious time doing it.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Someone suggested I get a new Hobby so I did, it's a 65GE and it is gorgeous.
We are at a very nice stop on the Mosel tonight and I have just come into the van from having a bit more practice on my button accordion or melodeon. Still trying to master the same old tunes but it has given me so much pleasure trying to play a musical instrument.
My other hobby of course is customising the camper which is now my Hobby. The Renault front end with the Auto box is a dream, it is hard to spot just when it changes gear and with only 600 miles on the clock it is already getting 35 MPG. That is with 1.19 euro diesel from Luxembourg and that works out a less than £1.00 a litre.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I,ve had a number of hobbies,collecting old comics,hotspur,eagle,battle and commando.Take a load on my travels to pass the time,also CB radio(ssb ) love to talk back to the UK from abroad.
The newest and most unlikely one is collecting and repairing old pocket watches.I,ve got quite a few in my collection already from early 19th century to early 20th.I always used to admire my dad who had this as his hobby and sideline and never thought i,d be doing it one day.So far i,ve had success with repairing mainsprings to stripping and cleaning and re-assembly,its very satisfying when they start ticking away after many hours of patience.Havent touched one for a while as there are too many other jobs to do but,they arent going anywhere.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Reminds me of when Neimac bought one(pocket watch) on eBay to' tidy up' which never arrived and we subsequently found out had been stolen....................
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks HA5 3DOM. Hoipe you are enjoying the new hobby - we are still making friends with ours - not enough space for diggers tail wagging!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post