By NEILMAC on Tuesday, 23 December 2014
Posted in Top Motorhome Tips
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 4.4K
Votes 0
If you are short of storage space or don't want to lug a full watering can around then nip into your nearest DIY centre and buy a downpipe elbow. Available in different degrees of bend, ours is a 45.

IMG_2307.jpg

We were shown this tip by a motorhomer in Portugal several years ago and have used it ever since. The elbow was a snug fit in our last van but a bit sloppy in this one, but soon fixed with a wrap around with insulation tape :thumbs:
STILL FINDING MY WAY AROUND THE SITE AND JUST FOUND THIS, SIMPLE THINGS ARE ALWAYS THE BEST,
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Just used the same filler to add "milton" to the fresh water tank to kill off any bugs. Do it every few months to sterilise the tank.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
we carry one of these but mainly use a large watering can with extension hose to top up. we also use a filter jug for drinking r/tea making/cokking water.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Great idea!
I carry the usual hose with 5 different tap fittings and a 10 litre water container, however my van has a 12v electric point right buy the water filler cap, the chap who owned the van before me used a roller filler (like a caravan) and a 12v water pump to fill the tank. I have never used the 12v power point though.
However, If I am in 1 place for more than 4 days I make sure my hose can reach the nearest tap, not always possible though I know.
I have only used the 10 litre container twice in French aire's where the tap doesn't like my hose attachments! (kept falling off!)
But my water tank is inside the van under a seat with an 8" access hole, so easy to fill up from a can or bottle.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Like you I have a few different tap fittings for use in France and Spain and only once found a very large threaded tap which prevented use . Have often used a 25litre container with a 12v submersable pump when I don't want to move off pitch.. Our tank is 120 litres so it's convenient to have fittings and hose reaching the tap.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I also use aqua tabs to make sure the pipes etc are clean 2 tabs in a tank full every now and then does the job too. Never tried Miton.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Our main filler is for hoses and is an old locking cap which has the lock replaced with a hoselock fitting and a short hose into the tank. We also carry a wide range of tap fittings including a double hoselock male fitting which is needed in some French water points. As a back up we have the standard watering can. we would not park up somewhere where there was not space to use the watering can
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello

Yes, I also carry a range of different tap fittings and a submersible pump when I need to use the 25l container. I also have a luggage strap to hold on those push button taps, especially when the hose is connected. I can then walk away and wait for the tank to fill.

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post