By geordieboy58 on Saturday, 28 March 2015
Replies 5
Likes 0
Views 3.1K
Votes 0
We anticipate crossing the Channel to South of England from France/Belgium on around July 9 and crossing back on around August 28. Do I need to book ahead, and if so, how far ahead? Is it easier to cross on the Chunnel or Sea Ferry.?We will be crossing back to head off for Normandy.

Any helpful advice will be most welcome.

Thanks,
John
Early you book better price you will get ,Channel tunnel lot more expensive than ferries ,You have Dunkirk to Dover DFDS,or PO and DFDS Calais to Dover .What you must bear in mind you are coming over in busy season.
If you turn up at port and book it is a lot more expensive.

At Dunkirk if you get early morning ferry you can sleep over night in car park ,you wouldn't want to do this at Calais ,due to illegal immigrants problems .

Also going back to one other post watch out for illegals at Patras nightmare there .

Were do you live in Australia are you importing van or on world wide trip .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello
We always use the Dunkirk - Dover route (DFDS Seaways). As Frank says you can park at the Port overnight without any problems. We were there a couple of nights ago.
I've had a quick look for your dates of travel and some of the crossings for the 9th July are booked up. There are crossings still available if you are flexible. The cost looks to be about £90.00 each way for a large motorhome (>10m length >4m high) and two adults.
It is much cheaper to book on-line before you travel. We rarely book well in advance but we travel out of season.
If you are travelling from Belgium there is also an Aire at Hoondscoote on the Belgian/French border. Easy drive into Dunkirk if you don't fancy stopping at the Port.
I will post details of this to the motorhome stopovers section in the next few days.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Frank,
Thanks yet again for some good advice. I believe we will be leaving Bruges to head for our ferry. I'll endeavour to book soon.

We live at Tweed Heads, New South Wales. We are at the southern end of the Gold Coast, just adjacent to Coolangatta.

Our house is at the mouth of the Tweed River, so with fishing boats going past, the beach and dolphins, it's rather idyllic.

We are hiring a new Chausson 594 van in Munich and heading for warmer weather, before travelling up through Italy and Germany towards the UK in July. We have 28 weeks to get around.

Any suggestions on spots to visit are most welcome. We will visit the former Yugoslavia, Greece, Italy, Germany, UK Spain and France.

Cheers,
John
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Julie,

Thanks again for your advice and recommendations. It looks like I had better narrow down my dates and book the ferry.

Cheers,
John
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Ok 28 weeks great ,think you need to get the following as these books will save you having to use campsites all the time ,ACSI Book campsites ,with set prices for early and late season for many Europe countries ,BordAtlas for Germany Stell platza lot cheaper than Campsites ,and All the aires France book .Dont forget as well there is a lot of good info on this site European Stopovers and England and Pub stopovers.

Not been to Yugoslavia ,Croatia is very nice ,sites in ASCI book not been there in van ,heard sites expensive in peak season .Greece depends were you want to go we did 4 weeks on Peloponnese so have loads of info if you are heading there .Italy only know Venice is wonderful and Lake Garda ,Germany were do you start Mosel area loads of Stellplatz.
Romantic Straz, Fussen with the two castles near by,one was used in making Chitty Chitty bang bang .Garnish is wonderfull.Black Forrest is great .Berlin ,endless places .France must do Rocamadour fantastic place loads of places to visit around Normandy area .Think you will be best to read the blogs that are also on this site .Brugges is wonderful
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post