By daveT686 on Saturday, 26 March 2016
Replies 5
Likes 0
Views 2.9K
Votes 0
Hi All

I'm sure for many of you this is a easy question but - Going to Spain for the first time?? We have decided to take ferry to Santander 17 April and head South to Murcia for a week or so before following coast north towards Barcelona, planning to return home mid-June. Although I have a rough route my dilemma is the route Santander to Murcia.

My route planning sends me via Madrid but I keep reading "Madrid area" should be avoided and also there does seem to be a lack of stopovers after Madrid - any suggestions please ??
Good morning

There are more and more stopovers springing up and becoming known about and quite a few around the Madrid area generally.

Have a look at these if you haven't already seen them http://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk/motorhome-stopovers/motorhome-stopovers-spain.html

How many days do you want to take to get to Murcia?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Dave,
Forget what you have heard about Madrid, getting past there is no problem just use the Autovias, the traffic density is much lower than you get in the UK and the time of year you are going it will be quiet anyway. Each time I have been down that neck of the woods I have never had a problem, we live in the North and our traffic density is so light as to be insignificant, so for us Madrid is busy but as I said by keeping to the Autovias you won't have much to worry about. You cannot compare it to the M25 by any means,

Spain is making a concerted effort to provide more Areas de Servicio because it has been recognised that not doing so will be a deterrent for visitors and Motorhome numbers have risen considerably in the last 10 years.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Dave and welcome :welcome1:

I concur with Xeamus, Madrid no problem. On the way there spend some time in the Parque regional de la Cuenca Alta del Manzanares and Segovia is well worth a visit. It is a few years since we have been there and your post made me think that it is time for revisit. :ohmy:

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

Thanks for reply, it appears my concern about Madrid is unfounded so I was thinking :

Off ferry Monday midday - overnight near Burgos - overnight somewhere just south of Madrid - arrive Murcia day 3

Cheers
Dave
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Off ferry Monday midday - overnight near Burgos - overnight somewhere just south of Madrid - arrive Murcia day 3

I haven't personally stayed at Burgos but for your south of Madrid stop I'd certainly recommend Puerto Lapice :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post