Replies 13
Likes 0
Views 4.6K
Votes 0
Hello

Booked a ferry this morning and compared prices

Dover to Calais - P&O through website £58.80
P&O through Caravan Club £69.00.

Just thought I would re-check again tonight (because I am like that)!!

PO through website £90.00
P&O through Caravan Club £104.00

Same vehicle, same boat, same day, same time :silly:

Spinner
Crazy isn't it.

You might think that their technology knows it's you coming back and that you might be more keen to buy than the first time you checked.......

:huh:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

It would be interesting to see what price others with a different IP address could come up with.

Dover to Calais
P&O Ferries

4th April
11.10 crossing (Pride of Kent)
One way
8 metres long
3.2 metres high
2 Adults

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Must be getting popular, think I probably got the same as you....
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You got a good deal at the right time :thumbs:
heres DFDS on that day
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The problem is there are too many people buying motorhomes and booking ferry crossings :laugh:

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Mine is £600 overnight boat and cabins each way for us!
Portsmouth to Caen though.

Newhaven to Dieppe was £147 with cabins overnight boats last year.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Mine is £600 overnight boat and cabins each way for us!
Portsmouth to Caen though.

'ow much ! £1200 return,are you testing to see whose awake ?:unsure:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
No sorry.
£600 IN TOTAL.
But we have cabins and its an overnight boat each way.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We haven't used ferries for some years as we can manage to acquire sufficient tesco vouchers to travel 3 times a year by the Shuttle. Travel is not free, as some allege, as the vochers have a value but with x3 it makes train travel cheaper than ferries. However, prices are increasing and getting nearer to discounted ferry costs. As with ferries the nearer the date of travel to booking date, the higher the price. Whereas we don't organise our trips in detail and go where the feeling takes us, I do book as early as I can by going onto the Eurotunnel website and look at prices on days near to my projected date of leaving. In this way i can find the cheapest price on a day and time suitable. How does everyone else do their booking?.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi MR2

Usually about 4 days before we are thinking of going we look online and book, only a one way though. This means we can return when we want /have too. Usually Dover Calais or Dunkirk as I prefer to drive.

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I always have to pay a bit of a premium because of the kids, so we can only go in the holidays.
However I just look a few months in advance and book, I look at direct ferries comparison site but usually book direct with the ferry company, depending on the price difference, sometimes either is cheaper!

However as for cheaper in advance, yes I am sure this still applies but when I booked with Brittany ferries for easter, which I have now transferred to the summer, the price was almost the same, whether it was sailing next week or in 4 months time!
Also it made no difference in price going for a weekend or 4 weeks, but years ago it was more expensive the longer you went for.

I have never been on the tunnel myself, it is almost a 3rd of the price of the Portsmouth to Caen ferry, but travelling to and from the tunnel both sides would add about 6 hours driving for me as my in laws live in Western France, so we have to go and see them for a couple of days if we are there!

I have to stop regularly at least every 2 hours because the kids are poking each others eye balls out by then!

However if I was going east I would use the tunnel.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Tom1
Thanks for info. In today's travel section in the Telegraph there is a question to their expert on ferry prices. He has spoken to Brittany Ferries who say that "fares for each sailing depends on demand, higher in summer,at weekends and overnight crossings"." Prices also tend to rise, so booking early secures the lowest price" (he would say it wouldn't he?)
Barry
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Tom1
Thanks for info. In today's travel section in the Telegraph there is a question to their expert on ferry prices. He has spoken to Brittany Ferries who say that "fares for each sailing depends on demand, higher in summer,at weekends and overnight crossings"." Prices also tend to rise, so booking early secures the lowest price" (he would say it wouldn't he?)
Barry

Hi Barry,
Yes it is more expensive on a Friday or a Saturday and we like the night boat, because the kids sleep for the trip, which is just easier, but it is the most expensive boat to book!

I had 2 weeks booked for Easter, going on a Thursday and returning on a Thursday, booked 4 months in advance, however when I moved it to July and extended it to 4 weeks, both night boats still on a Thursday, the price didn't change at all.

Also a week before the original easter booking, I did a quote for the same dates just out of interest and it was £15 more expensive than it was despite booking 4 months ealier.

but obviously this may just be coincidence
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post