By JP52DAD on Sunday, 24 April 2016
Posted in Beginners
Replies 7
Likes 1
Views 3.9K
Votes 0
We are about to take delivery of our new Motorhome, what are the essential pieces of kit we need to buy.....don't want to be tempted by the "must have" gadgets only to find we never use them. Would be very interested to hear people's suggestions on what we really need. TIA from two total novices.
Hello

Essential kit

1 Your own hose and fittings
2 Sat nav and maps
3 levelling blocks?
4 First Aid Kit
5 A basic tool kit

I would suggest that it is best to use your MH and then you will discover what you need as you go, rather than buy loads of stuff that you will never use. A lot will depend on how you intend to use you MH.

Have a couple of weekends away first

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I agree with Spinner, except maybe the sat nav being an essential.

However the most important thing to take with you is a relaxed, chilled out attitude, if anything is forgotten or goes wrong, it doesn't matter at all, you will make sure it doesn't go wrong or get forgotten again!

Best to just buy things as and when you decide you need them, get out and use it and see what you feel you need!
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
GAS - we spent a very chilly (freezing) night at Thetford one February night. The nice man who sold us our van kindly equipped it with two bottles. Failed to tell us they were practically empty.......Brrrr!
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi
I'd go along with Tom & Spinner but agree the satnav is essetial for us. Our trips through France and Spain from aire to aire rely on the satnav getting us there easily without arguing over a map. For us the 2 x leisure batteries with 215Ah supported by a solar panel takes all the worries of losing power away.

It depends on how you intend using your motorhome and if campsites are your choice then needs are different as elec and facilities are available (at a price!)

Barry
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I personally enjoy just 'finding' places unexpected but I do use the sat nav on our once yearly abroad trip. But not all the time.

My single habitation battery is 70ah and I have never had a power problem ever. Even with 3 or 4 weeks away.
But as Barry says all depends on your usage etc and I would recommend using what you have before changing batteries and adding solar or even a generator etc until you are sure you need to.

I have also never had a specific 'lesuire' battery that is any good, they have always failed in the past with other motorhomes, so now I just use a 'large' car battery which work as well for me with no hassle.
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
1, corkscrew and bottle opener
2, comfortable adjustable chairs
3,sunglasses
don't forget the remote controls.
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Well here is another to add to the list

Parked on a terrace and when walking by, noticed the exhaust was hanging low. After tossing a coin with Mrs Spinner, (I lost) I crawled under to discover three exhaust hangers were gone. So after shuffling around in the 'shed' I found some new ones and fitted them. For those of you who have not done this before it is easier if you use the jack to lift the exhaust.

Job done and back on the road

Hope this helps

Spinner

PS they were all new 11 months ago!!
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments