By Emz on Thursday, 02 June 2016
Replies 6
Likes 0
Views 4.2K
Votes 0
I am just buying a small motorhome. I want to use this in the Uk and in Western Europe and in the UK for longish holidays - say a month. Is it best to get breakdown cover with the insurance or using the AA/RAC? There seems a huge difference between insurance quotes so what are the most important things I should look for? I don't want to be left stranded anywhere ever! I'd also appreciate a friendly insurer. Thank you for any help!
Mine is with comfort insurance and includes the breakdown.
Not the cheapest but seemed a very comprehensive policy for both to me.

The AA and RAC have size and age limits to the motorhome too.
I once phoned up and got told they wouldnt recover me because the vehicle was too big. Despite them selling me the policy for 3 years!

At least through insurance they 'should' know how big it is!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
we insure the motorhome very reasonably with Saga
we were members of the German Club ADAC for a few years and found them very courteously helpful

we had a breakdown last year in this country. ADACs Uk partner is the AA
I wouldnt touch the AA again with a barge pole- 3 wrong break down trucks sent rude people and 24 hours before the got an independent out to us

so for less money than I paid AdAC I pay Flexplus Nationwide current account fee of £10 a month and get breakdown with Britannia plus other benefits such as travel insurance
altogtehr about £300 I suppose

hope that helps
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Emz and welcome :welcome1:

We are with Safeguard and breakdown is included. Never used it yet, so can't comment on how good they are. All very good on the phone when renewing.

One thing to check is how many consecutive days European breakdown cover is offered.

Hope this helps

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
As Francine said ,with Nationwide Flex plus ,normally pay about £8.00 a month because they pay interest on your balance ,We have travel insurance ,product warranty cover ,mobile phones cover Originally it was restricted to car breakdown ,than they advise that Motorhomes were also included ,was very sceptical and checked it out carefully .It includes European cover think it was vans up to 8 meters ,but that needs to be checked .Saved £80.00 as I was with Comfort insurance plus breakdown.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
This is looking fab!
Emz
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
My wife used to work for Nationwide and they were not good at all especially with money and organisation.
But that's just my opinion formed from our experience.

With my insurance the breakdown is £80 for a year extra.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post