By NEILMAC on Tuesday, 01 May 2012
Posted in Meets and Rallies
Replies 233
Likes 0
Views 27K
Votes 0
Having spoken to C7KEN about plans for next year following his recent successful meet in Spain we understand that he is unlikely to repeat the event. We feel that we would be unable to top the format of Ken and Jenny's fantastic event management. So, we are going to hold our own smaller informal meet in April 2013 with a view to showing members something of what Spain is best for. Be it Paella, Tapas, Mountains, Beaches, Sun, Sangria or Siesta to name just a few things this meet will include it.

The exact dates are yet to be confirmed but will avoid Easter. The meet will be for 4/5 days at a campsite we know in a rural location south of Valencia and then about 10 days at the superb Aire at Calpe on the Mediterranean coast.

The campsite for the first stop is just outside the village of Rugat and will give our attendees a true taste of 'Real' Spain. Walkers will be able to enjoy some spectacular walks straight from the site, caromac and I will be able to guide you through some of the delights of this area which has an abundance of olive and orange groves, numerous orchards, mountain tracks and even an historic ruined castle to visit. For those less energetic there is a great onsite bar restaurant to unwind from your travels .

At this location we will be arranging a superb menu-del-dia at one of the finest restaurants in the area.... and we'll be on hand to help with translation and your orders. This is really a true taste of Spain - as a contrast to the following week!

Attendees of the 2012 meet will confirm the excellent location of the Calpe Aire for the 2nd part of this trip and we have some plans to eat at a restaurant that, in our opinion, serves the best paella you could hope for! Together with many tapas bars, superb beaches and restaurants this is a great place to relax and soak up the atmosphere of an pretty unspoilt Spanish resort.

The Aire at Calpe has agreed that we can have enough space, subject to giving exact dates, and we're waiting on confirmation from the campsite.

We're only in the early stages of planning so will advise of more detail as time goes on (it is a whole year away) but numbers will be limited. There will be a maximum of 12 vans accepted for the meet and it is for Club Motorhome subscribers only. So please let us know, by email or by posting on this thread, if you would like to attend.

Attendees List

Just to keep track of attendees and so that all can see who will be at the meet I will keep this list updated as and when there are changes .

Definites:

GeraldandAnnie
BillGA
Neilmac
TravelsRus
Traveller_HA5_3DOM
zoro
Dreammobil
Brandywine
alandsue
ktesis
C7KEN
CUTFINGER

Reserves:

Contact me ASAP if you are considering attending this meet and haven't added your name yet.

If I've left you out or you want to move from 'Possibles' to 'Definites' please let me know and if we oversubscribe this far ahead of the meet I will start a reserve list in case anyone drops out for any reason :thumbs:
We did the Survivors meet with Ken and the Facts bunch. It was a revisit of Denia and Clape for us and a little too large to be as inclusive as this one. Ken did his best to include everyone but some of the first timers seemed to feel left out by the natural grouping that took place between old friends. We will certainly revisit Denia and 'Lewis' who is such a treasure at ensuring everyone is kept happy, not sure about Calpe next year!
Been along to the Valencia ACSI site and cycled and took the bus round the city. Also did the Spa Natual site at Peniscola, a 6 euro stop and go site, a little far out but the warm indoor pool was most welcome. We are back in Asco today having spent the last two days down at the beach freebe on the Elba Delta. Pleasant cycle rides and a wealth of wild birds, hundreds of flamingos, etc.
Making our way north over the next week of so to the Brass Band weekend at Amboise. Fingers crossed for good weather. Must get out now on the Sun lounger to top up the tan. :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

As you know, we did the Facts Denia meet last year (2011) which, to be honest, wasn't really our cup of tea - although that wasn't the fault of Ken who did his utmost to provide an enjoyable meet for all.

This year, we did something different - we did the Fun meet at the new Marjal. Great site, shame about the pitches turning to quicksand and the overbearing noise from a visiting caravan club's tannoy announcements.

Having done those, we had decided that Spain during the winter months wasn't really our sort of thing, and had rationalised our decision and begun making our 2013 plans for France and Germany in the spring & summer.

And then you posted this ...

The first site sounds lovely. And the reports from Calpe were positive, too.

Sooooo tempting ...
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Gerald, good to hear from you

I'm delighted to give you something to think about . In my opinion you, Annie and Tess would indeed enjoy the first location - the walking is lovely.

Calpe, on the other hand is in complete contrast but is a great resort. Probably heaving in mid Summer, but in April its Fab!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Okay - we're in. We can't leave the UK until after March 23rd (Annie's choir concert), but anytime in April would be great for us

Gerald
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sooooo tempting ...

You are not wrong there Gerald.

and we have some plans to eat at a restaurant that, in our opinion, serves the best paella you could hope for!

Ooh, I wonder what little "back of beyond" street that is in? :laugh:

It's too early for Rita and I to commit ourselves yet Neil, but if we do come.................it's on the condition that someone else peels those bl##dy prawns for me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers for now,

Jock.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

It's too early for Rita and I to commit ourselves yet Neil, but if we do come.................it's on the condition that someone else peels those bl##dy prawns for me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Consider it done Jock :laugh: . Let me know if you want a place reserved when you can.

Hope Rita is still feeling better .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Okay - we're in. We can't leave the UK until after March 23rd (Annie's choir concert), but anytime in April would be great for us

Gerald

Great Gerald! I'll come back on some dates as soon as possible
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi - we would be interested if the dates are ok -Jock I'll peel your prawns ( as well as Graham's!)

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Excellent Chris!

I'll confirm dates as soon as I can get answers from the locations but I'm trying for a start date of the 8th of April (Monday) or 15th April (Monday also). This avoids busy-with-Spanish-campers at the weekends at the first venue .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Jock & Rita , Pat will peel the prawns for you & for an added bonus I will even eat them for you ,hows that? cya Bill
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The list of attendees is now in the first post of this topic.

And, just as a reminder that although the meet is almost a year away the numbers will be limited to 12 vans so please don't delay in coming forward if you want to be there.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We can definitely make it so please change us from possibles to 'Definites' - thanks
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sounds good particularly when we are sitting looking out to sea on the new aire at Altea.
Prefer end of April but will fit in with whatever
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
TravelsRus and Traveller_HA5_3DOM - amendments made! :woohoo:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Five attendees already. Brilliant. Really looking forward to this (I know, I know, it's almost a year away :blink: )

Gerald
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Ah yes, plenty of time to brush up on your Spanish :whistle:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Ah yes, plenty of time to brush up on your Spanish :whistle:

Good point. We did do some lessons when were at Marjal. It's amazing how much difference it makes when you hear a native Spanish speaker, and you know what they're saying and the context. Just being able to understand the numbers for prices in shops makes a big difference. And when 'dias' becomes 'tardes'. And stuff like that.

Must make sure we don't throw our notes away during the next tidy up.

Gerald
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
OK dates are sorted :

5 nights at the campsite at Rugat starting Monday 15th April 2013

10 nights at the Calpe Aire starting Saturday 20th April 2013

Costs:

The campsite - (typically Spanish) has a fairly complicated way of working things out but stays over 2 days qualify for a 50% discount on the other days except for EHU.

So in summary, for 2 people in one motorhome with electricity for 5 nights = 99.90€
(I can give you a breakdown of figures if required)

The Aire - Also gives a discount depending on duration of stay so for 10 nights it is 90€

Both pricings are based on 2012 tariffs so could change slightly when annual reviews take place in September - I'll update the information if that happens.

Caro and I did a bit of a recce to the campsite yesterday and took a couple of photos to give you some idea what it's like. We're not officionados on campsites but would describe it as basic with 'aires' size pitches mostly under trees. There are 2 separate toilet/shower blocks, a bar/restaurant, free wifi, free hot water and a reasonable sized swimming pool.

Entrance

Reception area and bar/restaurant

Pool area

Pool

For more information they have a website which is in Spanish.

For those of you who are still thinking that they might be interested in coming but it is still nearly a year away, please let me know so that you can go on the 'Possibles' list - you can firm up nearer the day but please remember that the limit will be 12 motorhomes.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi - dates are ok for us. Have you chosen the campsite at Rugat for any particular reason ie location/walking etc - just wondered.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Chris,

Glad the dates are OK

We chose the campsite mostly because it is in contrast to a lot of peoples expectations of Spain, it is 'real' rather than 'tourist' and we do know from our own experience that the area has a lot to offer, especially for walking. Campsites are also pretty few and far between unless we go to the coast and that would be less of a contrast to the following stay at Calpe.

The location is rural/agricultural and at the edge of a wide valley, Vall d'Albaida, and beside a range the foothills of the Penyes Albes mountains which have lots of tracks to follow so its pretty scenic too.

Anyone with a dog will be able to let them walk/run off the lead in the 'campo' (countryside) without fear of traffic etc.

We've got a few walks lined up for those that want to be shown around, even to the top of the highest local mountain :woohoo: which has some breathtaking views in all directions.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil-

Site sounds very good 'just our cup of tea'

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
Can you put us down for this rally it sounds good.
Steve & Jo
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
Can you put us down for this rally it sounds good.
Steve & Jo

Hi you two,

Certainly can.... and have done! B)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Steve and Jo

Looking forward to seeing you over there (and in France in September).

Gerald
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

On our way back home, we were directed by a Spanish couple in a motorhome to this place 'Poblenov Deltebre' is is free and at 40.62905°N 0.74146°E It is quite a narrow road to it but when we arrived there were about ten campers there some had been there for some time and were getting serviced nearby. A definite for the ones who like to get away from it all, but take your own water with you. Regular Police patrol who were going right to the end of the peninsular.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Keith, thanks for that - it looks lovely

I've added it as a wildcamping location to our stopovers here :thumbs:

We'll probably have a look on our next trip past there in a month or so.

Hope you had a good trip back.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi

We would love to come to Spain next year with you if there is still space. We met some of you at Denia this year and have been inspired to subscribe to this forum.

As we work in the summer months we become armchair enthusiasts for a while before being unleashed in the winter months. During our enforced break it is lovely to be able to plan our next trip away and this meet sounds perfect for the Spring.

Looking forward to interacting with you in the forum.

Elspeth and Ian
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

We would love to come to Spain next year with you if there is still space. We met some of you at Denia this year and have been inspired to subscribe to this forum.

Hi Elspeth and Ian, It's a pleasure to add you to our list of attendees

And, welcome to Club Motorhome!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Having just joined and have already booked next winters trip to Spain and also seeing that there are several members we have already met, we would love to be added to your meet if there is still space.

Regards, June & Brian
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi June and Brian, firstly a warm welcome to Club Motorhome

And, I'm delighted you'd like to join us in Spain next April - I've added you to our list of attendees :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil,

Would love to come on the meet if there is still room. Sounds as though it may be a bit different (although we fall into the less energetic camp).

Regards

Alan & Sue
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Alan & Sue,

Yes there is just still room so have added you to the list of attendees :thumbs:

No need to be any more energetic than you want, although we are planning some walking for those that would like its definitely not compulsory and there's plenty of opportunity to relax after the journey down .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi AlanandSue

Will be lovely to see you on the meet in Spain :thumbs: - it does sound very different and Spanish - so it will be adventure for us all. I especially like the sound of the relaxing bit after the journey down.

Hope you both well.

Chris (and Graham and Archie)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Off to the M/H show on Friday so will book some trips with the show ferry offer from DFDS. They have been fully flexible in previous years so fingers crossed they are at this show. If no one else gets the show booking code before Friday evening I will post it and if you book before show ends on Sunday night the code gives the show discount.

Are we getting to the stage of those attending sending off a deposit to Neil by way of a commitment to attend?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

Are we getting to the stage of those attending sending off a deposit to Neil by way of a commitment to attend?

Hi, I have set off travelling for the winter to Morocco and will only be able to log on now and then. If a deposit is required then I am happy to put some Euros in an envelope and post it as soon as I have the details.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
will need to know exact dates, to see if off work but would like to reserve a possibly
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

I'm going to try and avoid taking deposits but will be contacting those that wish to attend individually just to confirm that all is still well.

With 6 months gone already and only 6 to go the meet will soon come round :cheer: . I'll be speaking with the campsite and Aire owners in the next week or so to confirm all is still OK with them too.

I've spoken with the lovely restaurant in the village near the campsite and they are fine about the group menu-del-dia, just need to confirm the actual day nearer the time.

Regarding attendees though it is vitally important that if anyone finds they are not going to be able to make it that they let me know as soon as possible.

Blue skies, sunny and warm (mid/high 20s) there at the moment :woohoo: .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
will need to know exact dates, to see if off work but would like to reserve a possibly

Hi Scotty - the dates were set a bit earlier in the thread:

>> here <<

5 nights at the campsite at Rugat starting Monday 15th April 2013
10 nights at the Calpe Aire starting Saturday 20th April 2013
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We were considering a few days after Calpe at the Denia Aire, Nothing to do with the street furniture :woohoo: Just like the closeness to the beach and always enjoy that morning walk through the street market where they have items for sale that are the biggest load of rubbish you could find on the local tip.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sounds like a good idea. I think there may be a Bank Holiday around then so may be worth emailing Ruben at the Aire beforehand.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We are off to the NEC tomorrow so will book direct with the DFDS stand there but just noticed on another forum that the show code is ENEC some claim to have got the £48 flexible return, (same price as this year) but seeing as we have got the NEC tickets I will do it on the stand. Will confirm detains Friday evening
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for the info Keith - we've just booked our trip departing 20th March - Returning 29th May. £58 was the cheapest we could get using the ENEC code (£24 out £34 return) still saved £100 as we usually go on Euro tunnel and the cheapest was £150 for same dates/times.

Dates were being sold out very quickly though.

Chris and Graham
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Great show got our trips for next year booked. We were told to log onto www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/nec before show ends on 21/10/12 if we want to book any more trips with no code needed, the link and full conditions are on that page, so if the earlier code that Chris used does not work for you try to log onto the site using /nec The 29th March to 14th April and the 24th July to 1st Sept are high season fares at £34 each way, the rest of the year is low season at £24 each way. It is for up to 4.35m high and up to 8m in length. Any time sailings and fully amendable for free up to 30th June. Debit card booking fee is £1.
That is for either the Calais or the Dunkirk sailings but the Calais sailings are filling up pretty quick but remember you can go out one way and back the other.
If you are unfortunate enough to have to tow a caravan or a toad it is restricted to 14m combined length with low and high fares of £29 and £39.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi
We met at last year in denia and Calpe, we were parked next to TravelsRus. We are interested your rally for 2013 are there any spaces left?
Derek & Lesley (and barney the dog)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Derek & Lesley (and Barney ), good to hear from you and :welcome2:

Yes, there's room at the moment so if you get yourselves subscribed I can add you to the meet attendees :thumbs: .

Hope all's well with you guys .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Derek & Lesley - hope you are both well. Would be good to see you again. Hope you've been practicing your Boules - just in case of another competition!

Archie sends his love to Barney.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Paid up tonight! Please put uson the list
Derek
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Well done - see you in April

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Paid up tonight! Please put uson the list
Derek

Be good to see you guys again in April :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi
We met at last year in denia and Calpe, we were parked next to TravelsRus. We are interested your rally for 2013 are there any spaces left?
Derek & Lesley (and barney the dog)

Is that the couple from Grantham, parked next to us at Calpe, with the wee dug that frightened the life out of us, every time we tried to get into, or out of, our MH?

Welcome to Club Motorhome Derek & Lesley. Unfortunately we can't attend Neil & Caroline's meet, but Rita and I wish you all the best, and hope that you both have a great time.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

P.S. As soon as the final list is compiled, we'll give you both a shout, as to whom we'd like your wee dug to frighten the life out of, in our absence. :laugh:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Jock - we love you - made us laugh - Barney was v good at Denia but found his voice at Calpe.

Although Archie never lost his voice for the duration.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

Although Archie never lost his voice for the duration

Maybe Chris, but your Archie (the wee old man ), never frightened the life out of us. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers,

Jock.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks Jock - sorry you can't make it as would be good to catch up.

All the best to you and Rita.

Chris & graham & Archie x
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
What are the exact dates and costs of ferries, motorway charges and diesel roughly.
Peter
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Good morning Peter,

Dates: 15th to 30th April 2013

Ferry costs: Not sure but hopefully others may post what they have paid. I think our last Eurotunnel crossing was about £90 including our dog. Other than that quotes can be obtained from the various ferry companies websites.

Motorway charges: A good link here. I'd recommend that if you have time to avoid tolls and enjoy some of France as part of the trip .

Diesel?: Roughly speaking the trip is about 1200 miles each way from Calais. We've recently been paying in the 1.30s € per litre. It doesn't make a huge difference whether you come down the West coast, the middle or the East. Maybe your choice of stopovers would help you choose that route.

Stopovers on Club Motorhome:

Hope this helps.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
Many thanks will work on it.
Peter
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil & caroline
Please move myself and Jenny from the possibles lst to the confirmed list for the full 15days. We look forward to seeing you all on the 15th april
C7Ken
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Excellent news Ken :thumbs:

Look forward to seeing you both in April if not before.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Great news Ken - look forward to catching up with you & Jenny.

Chris & Graham
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
Have you a preferred route - if so could you email it or write it here - hope its not too arduous.regards
Peter
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Good news ken looking forward to seeing both you and Jen in April.

Steve & Jo
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You will both be a welcome additions to the meetup. Not too long to it once Christmas is past.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
Have you a preferred route - if so could you email it or write it here - hope its not too arduous.regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm on appalling Spanish wifi (not unusual :roll: ) at the moment so let me just direct you to my blog of the journey we did in March this year http://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk/members-area/blog/entry/the-trip-south-so-far.html That link takes you to the first entry for that trip and at the bottom of the description there's a link to take you to the next stage.

Its not a bad route, just over 1200 miles and NO tolls, your own stopovers would depend on how long you want to travel for - we were 'Aires-hunting' so actually visited many more.

The stopovers that we actually overnighted at were Équihen-Plage, Criel-sur-Mer, Richelieu, Magnac-Bourg, Vers, Fanjeaux, Leucate Plage, Sant Feliu de Guíxols, Peñíscola, and Platja de Tavernes de la Valldigna - ALL details including GPS etc can be found in our stopover listings.

Obviously there are many variations of this route and when I get some better wifi I'll try and post some more .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

Read your reply regarding the route with interest as we are heading to Spain in late January. I had planned to follow a route through France to the west down from Calais to Bordeaux and into Spain on the west coast. This is influenced by following through known aires but also heard that there has been some reported problems with inteference from criminals on the motorways around Barcelona. Have you had or heard of any problems on that route? :unsure:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi MR2,

If I was travelling in late January I would also take the coastal route and then across Spain :thumbs: .

As regards Barcelona and the 'bandits', there has been a lot of talk on forums about this in the past - some of it informed and from experience but much of it is third hand information and possibly embellished as these things tend to be.

As with any city environment it is necessary to be streetwise ie. keeping a watchful eye in case anyone tries to flag you down, keep all valuables hidden etc. But basically my advice is to NOT stop for anyone unless the other vehicle is a marked police car.

We travel that route fairly often and have our camera at hand should the situation arise to use it - haven't had to use it yet!

The trouble is the chances of being robbed are VERY VERY slim but discussing the situation causes alarm to newer motorhomers. In my opinion you are no more likely to be robbed in that area than you are in say, Rome, Paris or even London for that matter.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Obviously there are many variations of this route and when I get some better wifi I'll try and post some more .

Another route which works out at very slightly less mileage is to travel via the West side of France:

The Aires (again, all listed in our stopovers directory) are Le Crotoy, Le Sap or Gace, Le Mans, Chaunay or Niort, Nersac, Mimizan Plage or Capbreton, Huesca, Morella, Tavernes. Most of these are free and a couple also include free electricity .

You may not want to, or have time to, follow these suggestions but you can see what sort of mileages are involved and there are many more Aires to choose from :thumbs: .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
HI MR2 just to confirm what Neil has said about robbers.We were new to Motorhoming last year & got to admit some people scared my wife with all the stories about robberies& the like.
We have now travelled Spain , France & the uk over the last 8 months & found , thankfully ,if you use your common sense you can have trouble free holidays.Good advice given by Neil only stop for Police .We follow more or less the same roote to & from Calais no tolls wonderful.
see you all in Spain next year .
good luck Bill & Pat
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

Information update regarding costings

I have been in negotiations with the campsite at Rugat and have at last been able to obtain a little discount from their previously quoted figures :thumbs: .

5 nights per motorhome with 2 occupants and including EHU will be 75€ (approx 25% off) equals: 5 nights at 15€ per night.

I have also been speaking with the Aire at Calpe and although their costs have risen slightly they have agreed to 10€ per night per unit including free wifi so 10 nights totals 100€ per van.

They (the Aire) are asking for 50% up front from each individual at the moment which I am still working on..... :roll:

Will post another update as soon as possible.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Well done Neil with regards to negotiating the discounts - being Yorkshire folk we appreciate any savings (more to spend on wine!).

We don't mind sending an advance deposit to you.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
50 euros and should show some real commitment from those signed up and will make it seem that much cheaper when we come to settle up. Will Ruben be in a better situation to do some sort of bank transfer of the deposit to, Or do you prefer to collect it and pass it on?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil good man love discounts as we too are Yorkshire B&B.No problem with a deposit I can pop up & pay Runem if & when nearer the time.
cya Bill
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Bill & Pat
Thanks for your reassurances. We have been motorhoming throughout the UK and Europe for 4 + years troublefree but had yet to travel in Spain. Will take the west route and report on the website .
regards
Barry
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
50 euros and should show some real commitment from those signed up and will make it seem that much cheaper when we come to settle up. Will Ruben be in a better situation to do some sort of bank transfer of the deposit to, Or do you prefer to collect it and pass it on?

Well, the Aire at Calpe is sticking to their policy of a 50% booking fee so it looks like that has to be, they say they have been let down in recent times with numbers reserved being different to the number that turn up (and it could be a busy time).

As everyone will be responsible for their own bills at this meet I would like all the attendees to pay the Aire the deposits direct. No money comes in or out of Club Motorhome on this as it is not a 'rally' - hope that makes sense.

I've asked Jose at the Aire to confirm how people should pay and this is his reply:

"Hi Neil,

the best option is they go to our web site www.odisseacamperarea.com and write their details in the formular. Please, they must say they are in your rally. Then we will answer them with the pre-booking and our bank details.

Best regards

Jose
Odissea Camper Area Calpe
"

The 'formular' that is refered to is their contact form which is here

Please ensure that you mention that you are contacting re 'Club Motorhome meet 20th - 30th April 2013' to keep it all nice and clear.

Jose has stated in previous correspondence that ayone paying this deposit will be entitled to a refund should they withdraw at a later date -

"For me is a pleasure to reserve 12 places for your rally, but I need the 50% of the total amount in advance. Without this money I can’t guarantee these places for your rally.

For the people that accept pay money in advance, between now and the 15th of April, if somebody wants to cancel the booking, I will return the money.

In relation with the list, I need know from each motorhome, name and motorhome number.
"

So I will leave this with the attendees to deal with but please let me know if there are any problems.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Bill & Pat
I am very interested in the route you have taken?
regards
Peter
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
many thanks Neil will study over the next few days - still interested in the trip - I have a golf wekend OPEN HOUSE I need to change if possible - then I thinks its ok Peter
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
OK Peter, I have added you to the 'possibles' list

To anyone still considering attending this meet.

Now, there are 11 'Definites' at the time of writing this so only 1 confirmed space left!

Once we reach 12 the 'Possibles' will be asked if they want to go on a 'Reserves' list to be notified (in order of listing) if anyone drops out.

The aire at Calpe has been notified of the list so that they know who should be sending deposits.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi
We will be coming, am I correct in thinking that we are on the definites list?
Derek & Lesley.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Derek and Lesley,

Yes you are correct - you are on the 'Definites' as per the list on page 1 of this thread.

I've also just confirmed your full names along with the other attendees (names as in used to register with Club Motorhome) to Jose at Calpe for their required records :thumbs: .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I'm sat here feeling a bit despondent and somewhat green with envy, at you all planning your Spanish CMH meet for 2013. Bl##dy work routines. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I hope it rains all the time.

Only joking. :laugh:

Jock.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil,
Looks like we may be able to make this,I have to make further enquiries as to getting time off on those dates to accomodate travelling there & back,put us down for a possible,Please
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I hope it rains all the time.

Only joking. :laugh:

Jock.

I have it on good authority (NOT Michael Fish) that the weather should be very nice, unlike the last couple of days when it has rained stair-rods :pinch:

put us down for a possible,Please

Done :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We've just filled in the form. It seemed to want me to enter stuff both into the "Contact" section as well as the "Reservation" section. Anyway, did that, and off it went.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I filled in both sections and sent the form yesterday evening. I have just received a reply from Jose at Odissea with the online banking details included.

I've set it up and, hopefully, sent the 50€ deposit but I noticed that my bank (Halifax) have charged me £9.50 for doing so.

Flipping Banks ! :evil:

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Chris,

Was there no way to pay by credit/debit card?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Never thought to ask - just assumed it would be a free transfer. I bet you can pay by cc or debit but there wasn't anything on the confirmation invoice saying you could pay other than by online transfer.

Just hope it's gone to the right place! Have asked Jose to confirm receipt.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hmm, please let us know what Jose says. I tried calling him after your post but no reply at that time of day.

I know that international bank transfers are always expensive (if that's what that was) and its quite likely, with Spanish banks, that he will be charged to receive the funds too
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I filled in both sections and sent the form yesterday evening. I have just received a reply from Jose at Odissea with the online banking details included.

I've set it up and, hopefully, sent the 50€ deposit but I noticed that my bank (Halifax) have charged me £9.50 for doing so.

Flipping Banks ! :evil:

Chris

Hi
That seems excessive. I paid Camping Javea 60 euro deposit in September using a credit card through Clickand Buy who process the payment on their behalf- exchange rate 1GDP= 1,173 euro.

Barry
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Tried to speak with Jose but he is not there until Monday. I wanted to know if we send a stirling cheque suitably converted to the euro rate for 50 euro, his bank would honour it and what charges they would make. The man who is there today said they would contact the bank on Monday to confirm so I'll ring back then.
Nationwide said they would be OK with honouring the check but recommended a Swift transfer but the charges for that are £25.
It does sound a little like Odesia would not be tendering the cheque anyway unless we let them down and did not turn up.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
[sup]Deposit Payments to Calpe[/sup]

I have spoken to José at Calpe today and told him that their requested method for deposits causes problems for our people with bank charges.

He has said that he will speak to his bank to see if he can setup a card payment arrangement with them for this and he will let me know tomorrow (mañana :roll: ) what can be done.

So bear with it and I'll post another update when I've heard from him.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Life would be so much more easy if they had a Paypal account. B)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Wouldn't it just :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
[sup]Suggested Method to Pay Deposit to Calpe[/sup]

OK, I have heard back from Jose and direct payment online by credit/debit card is not possible.

However, he has given an alternative which is to pay online using Transferwise

I've had a look at this and it does seem very straight-forward

You need to sign up for an 'account' which only entails entering your email address followed by a password.

You then set up the details of the person you are paying ie. Swift bank code and IBAN numbers (which you will receive from the Aire at Calpe once you have contacted them via their contact form as mentioned earlier in this thread).

You can then setup making a payment to this recipient and the form seems self explanatory.

Enter 50.00 on the Euro side of the form (you will then see what it will cost you in ££ and the small charges, and how that compares to making a payment via a bank :roll:

I think the actual process is easier than me trying to explain it.

Hope this helps but as always let me know if you have any problems :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Just to let you all know a little of what we have been planning for your visit. But to stress that these are not meant to be organised activities - they are more along the lines of 'this is what's available/we are doing, you are very welcome to join us'

By way of the title 'A Taste of Spain' we have a few little 'treats' for the attendees while in the 'real Spain' environment of the Rugat campsite. I won't disclose all the details as I'd like to keep some as surprises.

I will say however, that we have spoken to the restaurant that I originally mentioned in this thread regarding a group menu-del-dia and they are fine with the numbers. The restaurant is very highly regarded around these parts, is within 10 minutes walk of the campsite, and serves great traditional Spanish food - the cost of this lunch will be about 12 Euros per head.

On a different day there is a traditional bar/restaurant in the next village that will also provide a traditional menu-del-dia for us. We know this place well and can highly recommend it as a 'proper' Spanish bar rather than 'posh' restaurant. Cost for 3 courses with beer/wine is unlikely to be more than 10 Euros per head. The bar is a pleasant half-hour walk from the campsite.

As regards, activities during these few days we have some walks planned for those who would like to. There's a local village circuit, various mountain tracks and a ruined Moorish castle that is the perfect place to picnic, allowing time to take in the stunning views across the valley. I found a bunch of photos here which will give you a good idea of the walking terrain these parts - a lot (but not all) of the views are ones that you will see for yourselves .

A picnic at the ruined castle

We also have our 4x4 available and we will be delighted take those who would like to recce the local hills and mountains (4/5 persons at a time - room for 1 or 2 dogs as well if needed), the views are quite spectacular. We can do this several times during the 5 days so everyone gets a ride - obviously mornings will be best for this, before any lunches take place!

The mountain and hills that hide the campsite in the distance

The 4x4 recce will be a great way to get your bearings should you wish to go off walking or cycling on your own. Cycling is big in this area both for mountain bikes and road bikes, there's an enormous amount of information on the internet regarding local routes ie. This route here

In between times there will be plenty of time to relax, there's the pool area and the on-site bar/restaurant and if you bring your boules sets I'm sure some tournaments can be arranged.

Back to the 'taste' bit - I plan to be cooking a large paella for everyone in the group and this will be at the beginning of the meet so that those that haven't met each other before get a pleasant opportunity to do so.

Obviously everyone will be responsible for their own bills at the bars,restaurants,campsite,aire etc but anything we personally supply - paella, treats, 4x4 recce etc etc are free

So that's the first part of the meet!

For the second part and when we have settled in to the Aire at Calpe, the location is very different and as a 'resort' is well catered for regarding activities walks, bars, beach, restaurants, shops etc.

We do plan to take you to a restaurant for a superb paella on one of the days (we will make arrangements for this a little nearer the time) and from our experience in 2012 we'd recommend a menu-del-dia at a beachside restaurant which is the other end of a pleasant cliff-top walk - we only used this for refreshments last time but were in envy of those who had chosen to eat there and it was very reasonably priced too.

The beachside bar at Calpe where we would recommend a menu-del-dia

Anything else, we're happy to go with the flow and are open to suggestions
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sounds brilliant Neil - something to look forward to as the weather here is treacherous.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We were hoping that we might be able to attend the meet. Due to commitments, sadly, we can't leave the UK until 21st April. Might be able to reach Calpe before the meet breaks up but will have to take our chances on whether Jose has space when we arrive. In any event, we hope it all goes well.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Might be able to reach Calpe before the meet breaks up but will have to take our chances on whether Jose has space when we arrive. In any event, we hope it all goes well.

Thank you SilverF1, hope to see you whenever you can arrive at Calpe . In any case we'll be able to catch up at C7KEN's meet which is being held shortly after ours finishes so, if not before, we'll see you then B) .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

The beachside bar at Calpe where we would recommend a menu-del-dia

The only character missing from that photo, is our mate Digger.

Being sat there in the sun with only a polo shirt, shorts, and shades on, seems like years ago, and not just ten months ago.

It all sounds great Neil. We wish you every success with your meet.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

P.S. Chris was not wrong when she described our UK weather as "treacherous". All calm for now though. :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for that information, Neil. It sounds right up our alley B)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
[sup]Suggested Method to Pay Deposit to Calpe[/sup]

However, he has given an alternative which is to pay online using Travelwise

I've had a look at this and it does seem very straight-forward

Ha! I think I've done it. The TransferWise website is quite difficult to understand, but after a couple of failures, it finally seemed happy with all the information.

Then you have to make a direct transfer INTO TransferWise from your own bank. I suppose it's more secure that way, but it's such a pain, because we've got those little calculator things we need when setting up a direct payment, and the numbers on the screen are SO SMALL :silly:

Anyhow, it seems to have started the long and winding journey out of our bank, and hopefully it will appear in Spain very soon.

Things like this make you appreciate how easy it is to buy things with PayPal, or through Amazon.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for the feedback Gerald. I guess it's one of those things that much easier the 2nd time you do it.

I don't know how your transaction worked out but looking into it I was pleasantly surprised by a good exchange rate and low commission to use the service.

Streets ahead of UK bank charges :pinch:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post