Thursday, 13 October 2016
  7 Replies
  3.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Having travelled in Europe for a few years we have a few stopover/aires/sites that we use on our travels for convenience or because they are good sites on which to stay. Our regulars are Montreuil sur mer as its free, has good restaurants and shops plus its less hour from calais and free from migrant problems; Honfleur usually as we head down west coast to visit Eleclerc for loading up the fridge, wine and diesel; Sommieres because its a beautiful city and others. How about you?
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
Hi Barry

We sometimes stop at Honfleur, as well. The others are the one at Bayonne/Bairitz, Pont-de-l'Arche and Braire. All listed on Club Motorhome.

That said we do try to use different ones each trip.

Spinner

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I like to acclimatise myself to switch over of driving code, so arrive Dunkirk around 6 am,( never come across migrant probs there !! ) once away from the ferry I go across A16 on D300 to St Omer ( nice quiet road ) I then use an Aire picnic area ( free ) on D300 to have a drink etc and couple hrs kip, then to St omer and Auchan hypermarket for food and diesel, then head west D928 quiet rd to spend night at coast - Quend plage Aire ( excellent place 7 euro ), I reverse this on way back to ferry as well, Gosh I wish I was setting off !! ....
7 years ago
·
Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
Hi Barry

We sometimes stop at Honfleur, as well. The others are the one at Bayonne/Bairitz, Pont-de-l'Arche and Braire. All listed on Club Motorhome.

That said we do try to use different ones each trip.

Spinner

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
On the way down the west coast towards Spain we stay in the Loire valley, Azay le Rideau sometimes and then on the Gironde finally maybe Biarritz, Capbreton or just over the border. We like to try different aires also
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The only aire we have ever been back to, and we've been there four times, is at La Ferte Beauharnais somewhere (ish) between Orleans and Tours. I may have spelt it incorrectly, but it will be near enough to find it
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The only aire we have ever been back to, and we've been there four times, is at La Ferte Beauharnais somewhere (ish) between Orleans and Tours. I may have spelt it incorrectly, but it will be near enough to find it

Found it and looks good. Any reason for returning or is it convenient ? See it has a lake and looks like grass parking.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I use Vivonne both north and southbound,always seem to get a place has toilets and a nice patisserie also cash points and cheap diesel in the area. I used Cavignac north and southbound this last time close to the N10 and as its next to a cemetary dead quiet.I like the Limousin area so have stopped at Bourdeilles 4 euros but in a lovely location also like saint laurent sur gorre.

Pete and jan

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Found it and looks good. Any reason for returning or is it convenient ? See it has a lake and looks like grass parking.

It's not that it's especially convenient generally. We found it one day when we had given up on the aire in Orleans which is in the middle of a busy roundabout (albeit a very big roundabout) as we were going that way. It was so nice we hhave chosen routes which take us by it and we have stopped for a coupe of nights each time. It is a good are for walking and cycling, so you could stay longer if that's what you wanted to do.

It's normally very quiet (except, no doubt, in August) with a few motorhomes and some fishermen. But one time when we went there were 50 French motorhomes having a rally. We were welcomed with drinks and samples from the huge buffet they were having; despite our meagre French and their similar English we had a good time.

There's not much in the village, just a small shop and a restaurant, but it's a lovely spot
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection