New

Portugal

Sunday, 08 January 2017
  8 Replies
  4.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We are looking to make a trip to Portugal for a few weeks in Febuary and March. Are there any hot tips of where we should visit? We intend to visit Lisbon and test the Port to find some nice stuff, but we haven't looked much futher than that at the moment, so any suggestions for places to visit, aires, wildcamps, motorhome stops - even campsites! would be welcome thanks.

I'm also not sure about the toll arrangements for motorways - I've read a bit a time or two, but I'm not really clear on what the rules are; can you point me in the right direction please?
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello

My recommendations would be, Sintra, Parque Nacional Peneda-Gerês, in fact all the National Parks, and the west coast. If you are short of time IMO I would forget the Algarve (south Coast) as it is not the most interesting part and to many English type pubs and clubs.

Plenty of good stopovers listed on this site.

Spinner

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'd give much the same advice that Spinner has. We spent a month travelling through the country from top NE corner zig-zagging down using camper stops almost entirely.

Inland and the west coast are really fabulous right down to the SW point at Sagres. Highlights enroute:
Bragança,
Furadouro,
Bico de Murtosa,
Praia de Sao Jacinto,
Fatima,
Cape Carvoeiro,
Praia do Guincho,
Cabo Espichel,
Praia de Melides,
Porto Covo,
Boca do Rio,
Senhora de Rocha,
and
Alcoutim

You'll find all the details in our Portugal Stopovers and I think all those have some video content so you'll get a good idea of what they're like.

As far as tolls go we didn't use them other than 'accidentally' due to cr@p satnav mapping but I think one type is prepaid and the other requires some sort of transponder, hopefully someone else may have personal experience to pass on :)

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello,
We have used toll roads in Portugal and found them very easy and reasonable in cost. It was easy to sign up to with a credit/debit card and there are signs at each section of the motorway identifying the charge for that section.

Visit http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home for information.

Click on the EASYTOLL button (Extract from the website below)

"The EASYToll system is a new solution for automatic payment of electronic tolls, for tourists and immigrants, with the association of a credit card (Mastercard and Visa) to the license plate of the vehicle. The driver, not having to leave the vehicle, enters the credit card in the payment terminal and the system automatically associates the vehicle's license plate to the bankcard. The tolls rates owed are directly debited to the account associated with the card.

At the time of sign up, valid for 30 days, a ticket is issued as proof and must be kept.

The driver is always able to correct license plates numbers or cancel the membership, through the Call Center:

707 500 501 (if in Portugal) or
00 351 287 95 55 (from abroad) or
EasyToll Services.
The sign up has a cost of 0.60€+VAT and each journey has an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT.

Sign up at the Welcome Points located at the border posts at the following locations:

A28 - Viana do Castelo; A24 - Chaves; A25 – Vilar Formoso; A22 – Vila Real de Santo António"
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for all the replies - really helpful :D
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
My advice would be take your time and to be honest you will only scratch the surface in one trip. If you are going to Porto (well worth it) and fancy a train trip, then take the train up the Douro Valley. If you don't mind town centre car parks, forget the first half of the line and drive to Peso da Regua and take the train to Pocinho from there. There's nothing at the end of the line unless you want a walk so time your journey for a quick turnaround. Oh and make sure you find a clean window, the carriages are covered in graffiti!!
If you get to Lisbon don't miss the lighthouse at Cabo da Rona, stunning coastal views. Further south, you could nip across the Rio Sado using the ferry from Setubal and pick up the little traditional fishing village at Montevil and then Alcacer da Sol. Follow the coast road south of Sines and you will find plenty of wild camping spots although I hear that the cliff top areas north of Porto Covo are off limits?
If you like markets then don't miss Barcelos on Thursday mornings, you can overnight behind the sports centre to get an early start!
Have a great trip, I'm very jealous.
Dave
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry, predictive text, grrrrr. Should say Cabo da Roca..........
Dave
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks very much for the benefits of your experience - any more out there, please keep it coming :)
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the post, I have also found this information handy as we are going to Spain/Portugal mid May and these tips are useful.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection