Thursday, 12 January 2017
  25 Replies
  4.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi All
Now my new licence has arrived, we can finally plan our 3 or 4 month trip to Portugal, Spain and back up through France.
Last year we carried our scooter on a rack but have now bought a Burgman 400 which is too heavy for the rack so we have bought a trailer. We would like to use a mixture of aires and sites on our travels.

The question is, what are the guidelines regarding using aires with a trailer.
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
i am planning a trip not as long as you just 3 weeks to the Somme in June July with my motorbike trailer .will start at Calais drive down to Boulogne-Sur-Mer then to Le Crotoy from there east to Arras one or two stops on the way . I would like as you any advice on towing a bike trailer in France and using the French Aires .....thanks Mike and Hazel
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
sorry forgot ,,,,,the one thing is that where to park.....with a trailer you need an extra long bay or a side bay ..or do you unhitch the trailer to park up .........any advice on that ............. thanks again Mike and Hazel
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well, at different times we've travelled with a Harley on a trailer or a car on an a-frame and have only used Aires.

I tend to research them a bit in advance and shortlist the ones that I think are most suitable enroute. CM stopover listings are great for that as you can judge by the photos, Google maps/streetview and videos whether they'll accommodate.

Otherwise as all Aires vary in style and layout it can be hit or miss. But basically there's often a way to park that won't get in everyone's way and there's always the last resort of unhitching.

Le Crotoy has been mentioned and is absolutely no problem for parking with a trailer.

Hope this helps.

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Neilmac. I thought if anyone knew the answer it would be you. Your reviews of the aires are very good. I have tried the google maps idea & you're correct it does give a good way of judging. I think you have answered my question, because what I was wondering, is whether there's a rule that trailers are not allowed. From your answer I take it that it's a question of considering fellow campers.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yep, I don't recall ever seeing a 'rule' :)

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I agree, trailers are a common site on aires, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Provided you don't use a space that someone could put their motorhome in when there are no others available you should be fine. But particularly on small aires if your trailer occupies a space meaning someone has to move on you won't be popular and probably will be asked to move the trailer, rightly so. Its rather like putting out an awning on a crowded air thus stopping someone using the space next to you, no problem when there is plenty of space, big problem when there isn'. Just a little consideration is all that's needed and you will have no problems.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
hi well this is a sticky question we have on many occasion pulled up tired only to find no room with bays taken up with trailers which in my view is very unconsidered to other motor homers the one thing we have found using Aires back as far as 2002 a lot of people are using the free Aires like feral kids ALL NATIONALITIES THAT IS sorry but a lot of people feel the same way . will
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
hi well this is a sticky question we have on many occasion pulled up tired only to find no room with bays taken up with trailers which in my view is very unconsidered to other motor homers the one thing we have found using Aires back as far as 2002 a lot of people are using the free Aires like feral kids ALL NATIONALITIES THAT IS sorry but a lot of people feel the same way . will

Personally it doesn't worry me much, if an aire is full it is full, makes no difference what its full up with to me.
Every one has a right to use it as much as I do, and even if they dont use it how I would, so be it, that's how the dice rolls!

The most 'entertainment' I have had was at an aire in the Vendee, when a guy with a huge box trailer, I assume he couldn't open the trailer tailgate because somebody had parked too close, it started with shouting and ended up with a proper fight, including spilt blood and ended up with the guy who parked too close storming off in a huff wheel spinning away.
Next day he came back and it started again, we left as they were squaring up to each other again.
I have never seen two French people have a fight before and it was an experience to say the least, mind you the aire wasn't full at all, so maybe there is more history to it.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Will
We think that we are very considerate people, hence why we raised the question. We tend not too use aires, but there are occasions when we do. Last year we had 3 months in France & used aires on no more than 6 occasions 4 of which were because it was early march and sites were not open. At that time we had a scooter on a rack, so no problem. As we have now bought a bigger heavier scooter we have had to put it on a trailer.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm sure it will be ok rowenm.
As you say consideration goes along way.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I thank Rowenm for posting this question as I said it's been on my mind to ....After every ones comments, you just have to respect the other users and if possible look for the Aires that have the most space ...... Mike and Hazel.......
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
these Aires where ever they may be are for motor homes only unless otherwise stated NOT TRAILERS OR CARAVANS & are put there to bring in tourist to spend money for the sake of the village not to be taken advantage of . will
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Not sure what your assumptions are Will. Are you suggesting that everyone who tows a motor bike or car are not going to patronise they local establishments !!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I don't feel anybody with a trailer is taking advantage of an aire providing it is with a motorhome, mind you I have also seen full awnings up, caravans and people sleeping in cars too.
None of them were a problem at all, it was nice to see something different!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have never seen a sign on an aire which precludes trailers although most have signs that preclude caravans and some ha e signes that preclude cars. I think it's true that Aires are primarily intended for use by Motorhomes and I don't think taking up space with an awning or a trailer or a car is right when it stops a Motorhome using the space. However as I said on an earlier post consideration is the key and never forgetting that we are in guest in someone else's country.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
these Aires where ever they may be are for motor homes only unless otherwise stated NOT TRAILERS OR CARAVANS & are put there to bring in tourist to spend money for the sake of the village not to be taken advantage of . will

I can see what you're saying Will but its not an issue unless someone with a trailer is depriving someone else of a space and the local economy the chance of another motorhomer spending locally.

As said before no problems with trailers if consideration given to others.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
the point is people do deprive people of a parking bay that is my argument a lot of people have no consideration on Aires our m/h is 8.5 long on some Aires we are to big to fit in BUT if we park side ways on taking say 2or 3 bay ( which we wouldn't ) & you arrive with no room would you be happy WHAT is the difference . we have noticed that over the years a lot of free Aires you have to pay now like GRAVELINES near Dunkirk all because people was mistreating it . will
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I take your point Will, but however somebody else parks is their business to me, if an aire is full, its full.
It certainly wouldn't make me unhappy at all, I would just move onto the next.
Using any facility especially in another country is a privilege not a right.

Mind you, you say about taking up 2 or 3 'bays'. I am struggling to think of an aire that I have used with any 'bays' marked out on it, they are usually just open areas with no markings from my memory. With no markings people can park how they want in my book.

As you say your motorhome is 2.5 meters longer than mine, so with rowenm's scooter on a trailer, I would still be shorter than you, but with consideration, maybe unhooking the trailer and turning it sideways for example, I would take up much less room than you! :p

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We were parked on the Area de Servicio in Aranda de Duero a few days ago, this is located on a mixed parking site. The motorhome spaces are very clearly marked with huge blue and white motorhome symbols on the tarmac and the spaces are very generous. As you enter the parking the motorhomes spaces are on the far side and as you turn left the first bay is over 10metres long, suitable for an American RV the rest of the spaces in that row there are 6, are about 8.5/9 metres with the exception of the 4th one which has a lampost guard rail that intrudes into the bay by about a foot, but as it is about half way along that bay looks capable of accomodating 2 VWs if they were friends, the remainder to the left are normal drive in spaces are at least 8.5/9 metres too.

It is one of the best laid out areas I have seen so far and the services are free except for fresh water which requires a coin.Parking with a trailer attached would not be a problem there, your only problem would be trying to reverse into one of the inline spaces if there were vans fore and aft of the vacant spot.
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
think i will put this thread to bed .will
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
think i will put this thread to bed .will

We all have different views and opinions, that's what's great about CM. All the best Will.
Tom

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection