Monday, 15 January 2018
  12 Replies
  5.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hello
We are new to the forum.

We live in the Western Algarve, Portugal.

We have a Hymer 644, 1992. I love the vehicle, my husband has many offers to sell for excellent money but I love the quality of the Hymer so won’t let him!

Rate this post:
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello!
I don't blame you in my opinion after the year 2000 or maybe 2002, the build quality of most motorhomes go down hill, some quite sharply.

If your happy with it. Keep it! :D

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello and welcome

Do you live in the Hymer or bricks and mortar?

:D

:D

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Bricks and mortar. We use the Hymer for out and about.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am interested in your comment Tom 1.

The Hymer interior is draylon and goodness me they really knew how to sew and the finish is exceptional. The draylon quality I have been told would be over £50 per metre.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am interested in your comment Tom 1.

The Hymer interior is draylon and goodness me they really knew how to sew and the finish is exceptional. The draylon quality I have been told would be over £50 per metre.

I have been looking to update my year 2000 CI camper and as yet, cant find anything, the best ones seem to be from the mid to late 1990's. So if I do change it may be for an older one.

However whatever motorhome any of us have, as long as we love it, that's all that matters ;)

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello and welcome to the club, I am not surprised that you have had very good offers for your Hymer, we live in the north of Spain and the prices for second-hand motorhomes is ludicrous, if Portugal is anything like Spain you are better off keeping yours because it will cost a lot to replace it. We have a 1991 Fendt 560HK which we love, it looks nothing special from the outside but the cabinetry inside is real quality, we have been tempted by a Hymer B584 but the prices are silly, plus to buy a LHD in the UK and import it involves paying import tax based on its original new price in Spain :o so unless we get lucky with El Gordo we will be keeping ours for a while yet.
Phil
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi
Ours is on UK plates and even with these the Portuguese can change over and pay the import tax at about 1000 euro because of the age. The Portuguese are willing to pay and of course it is LHD. We would therefore make money on this van. I am not happy to change just because of the quality of the interior compared to modern versions.

Our Portuguese friend insisted we buy a Hymer (he lived in Germany for 40 years). He said you can get a more modern van but not the quality, he has been right. Only our opinion.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi from East Yorkshire, Fat cat
Votes
Undo
Hi fatcat thanks for the welcome to the club we too have a Hymer 1991 camp 65
owned ten years now looked for a replacement couple of years ago when the gearbox
broke , gave up bought a new one from Gloucester road Gearbox Bristol our home town
We also have a place in western Algarve near Bensafrim Howdy neighbours!!Thanks for the
Welcome also go to Chris Co and katmax[
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Nigel
Just out of interest, did you have a problem obtaining a replacement gearbox? We believe the synchromesh on ours needs replacing. Is there a special gearbox Centre in the Bristol Road? Funny enough I co e from Cheltenham originally and still have family there.

Bensafrim? Very nice. Do you eat at O Koala?
Votes
Undo
Hi fatcat if you have a fiat ducato the gearbox is the weak point I thought sincerely when things got crunchy
around 1990ish ford & Merc started using five speed boxes so had to follow but rather than design a new box
they stuck a extra gear on a four speed cutting a long story short disaster followed . Gloucester road Gearbox
Midland road Old market Bristol will renew all parts except the outer casing 1200 plus Vat absolute best in the
business no hesitation in recommending them best wishes Nigel
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
This isn't relevant with your 'older' boxes but I had the common issue with my year 2000 ducato.
The parts for mine are no longer made.
I rebuilt the box in the end using brand new parts from another vehicle gearbox.
I took a few years to work it all out but all the parts I now have are still in production.
The only difference is 5th gear is a fraction higher but I don't notice it now and its better than throwing the camper away!

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection