By Traveller_HA5_3DOM on Monday, 25 June 2012
Posted in Tutorials
Replies 16
Likes 0
Views 5.4K
Votes 0
If you use Autoroute 2010 or 11 for your route planning or for GPS guidance whilst on the move I thought you may want to add any tips or tricks that help in that process.

I will add some of mine but feel free to add yours. I have also started to add a few of the files that I use as starting points into the downloads section.

So Tip 1.
Make a template file from ones you may use often.

Q. Why do you need a template?
A. You can have a safe file which will remain unchanged even if pushpins get deleted or moved in your planning process.
If you use the snail trail to leave a record of your travels you may find it difficult to remove for using the same file for different journeys.
How to create it?
1. Open the file you want to make into a template.
2. Use the shortcut key F12. This will take you straight to the Save As Dialog box
3. Look at the bottom of this Dialog box for the drop down arrow on the one called 'Save As Type'
4. Use this arrow to open up the options and select Map Templates(*axt) Alter the file name box above that if you want to.
5. Select Save button.

When you want to use this template It will only open a new file from this template by following this path.

1. Use the 'File' Drop down menu from the top of the screen when Autoroute is Open
2. Select 'New' and the 'New' templates dialog box will open up.
3. Now just select the template you want and it will open a new file based on that template.
Thanks Keith - this has downloaded without any problems.

Will make a template as per your tip no. 1.

Cheers

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Many Thanks Keith
Faced with buying a new sat-nav (cant seem to update mine for free)have been using Autoroute 2010 on my 10"netbook mounted on the dash coupled to a GPS dongle works fine but still getting used to it so your tips are a great asset regards mike :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Time for another tip
Tip 5

Finding places.

Why

If you find Carrefour hypermarket are doing a good deal on fuel either for the camper or for your liquid refreshment. Find where they are on your route.

How

1. Use the combination of keys ctrl and F to open the Find dialogue box,

2. Select the 'place/data' tab

3. Type Carefour, Lyon into the box. It is spelt wrong deliberately to put the program to the test.

4. Your results should indicate the Lyon Carrefore and the spelling Autoroute uses.

5. Click on it and it will take you to where it is on the open map and insert a pushpin.

6. If you decide to visit it it will be ready to add to your route in the Route Planner pane (the little car icon)

7. Now click the button 'Add to Route' and move it with the move up or down arrows on the right of the pane.

8. Try some others Intermarche Limoges should find you the 'gas station' remember it is an American program.

9. As with all searching the more information you enter the less results you get back, so finally try 'museum, Limoges' for when you are fueled up and you should find three spelt musee the top one looks like a distillery so how could you not take a look?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Tip 6
Route Planning
There are many ways in Autoroute to plan your route but this is the one I try to use.

1 Use one of your template files you created in Tip one. The Aires and Stelplaz one. This will create your working copy of that file for this trip and you will be asked to give it a name and where you wish to save it the first time you save (Ctrl + S)is the shortcut to save.
2 I then look at the Stelplaz/aires/ACSI pushpins and see where there seems to be a group in the region I am heading. Let it make the route and then pull the route with the mouse onto either the stopovers or way points, then check out the mileage to make sure it is within the range I want to drive. If it should be that the aire is full or just don't like it you know that others are close by. I tend to set the route preferences before pressing the get directions button, otherwise you default to the quickest route and also make sure the Arterial slider is right near the left hand side. Certainly with the Stelplaz we find that they tend to cluster in areas worth visiting and conversely if none in an area change route to suit.
3. You can set the preferences after you have viewed the shortest route and once they are set for that file you only need to alter the segment of the route to 'preferred' All the sliders you set initially will remain as you set them. You just need to remember to check the segments to make sure any additions to the route get set as your preferred route
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Just to bump the thread back into view again.
These tips and tricks also work on the latest 2013 version. I have a few more files for personal use only, not for general release on the web, PM me if you need anything I may well have something lurking somewhere on the hard drive.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Tip 2

Cut the Clutter

Q. Why bother
A. Handy if you find having thousands of pushpins on a file makes you computer run slow.
Lets you focus on the area you intend to travel that day.
If you are adding Shops an WiFi from other files you can be specific and control the size of the file. (covered in next tip)

How to do it

1. Use your RIGHT mouse button to draw a box round a section of the map you intend to use.
2. RIGHT mouse click inside the box.
3. The bottom option on the drop down menu will let you remove all the pushpins outside the box.
4 Try the others if you want other options.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Wow, thanks Keith :cheer: I'm sure that help a few members (me certainly :whistle: ).

And thanks for your input with the Downloads - Subscribers can get them from our Members Downloads section. To date Keith has put some really useful files in there including JD Weatherspoon pubs that offer free WiFi, McDonalds locations in Europe, Aires and ACSI sites etc etc

Please keep the AutoRoute hints and tips coming :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks Keith - I use autoroute 2010 with a gps dongle so anything that makes life easier is a good thing for me.

Great tips - cheers

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Tip 3

Alter a route

Why?
You have set up your driving preferences but you decide to alter the route to take in a place along the way.

How

This one is real easy.

1. Left Mouse click on the blue highlighted section of the route you wish to alter. It should change colour slightly.
2. Click and drag it to the section of road you now want to travel on and release on that road.

Autoroute will do the rest.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Tip 4

Copy some of your POIs from one Autoroute file to another.

Why

You may acquire a later collection of pushpins that you would like to add into an existing file and retain the other pushpins in the file.

1 You will need to open Autoroute twice as you need two open versions to work with. Resize the windows so that both fit on your screen. Think of these as a source file and a destination file.

2. Now in your source file open up the legend and overview pane, thats the icon that looks like a sheet of paper with writing on it.

3. Do the same for your destination file.

4. Now RIGHT mouse click on the pushpin set in that legend and overview pane on your source file. That should open up a drop down menu and select 'copy' from it using your LEFT mouse button.

5. Next move across to your destination file and RIGHT mouse click somewhere on the map that is not ontop of anything else. I usually use the sea. From the drop down menu select paste.

6. It may take a few seconds to paste the data but it should appear on both the map and your overview pane.

7. Dont forget to make it into a new template as in Tip one if it has all worked OK.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Keith

Thanks for all the tips - they will be extremely useful for me (the navigator).

I have downloaded the Wetherspoons and McDonalds free wifi sites without any problem - they are in the .axe format but I can't get the ACSI and Aires to download as this ends in .rar and I am getting the message:

"This application cannot open this file. Consult Help info about compatible formats"

Any help would be much appreciated. :dry:

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
WinRar is a zipped version of this I think Neil must have zipped it as I do not use it.

I will send the .Axe file to him and he will no doubt do the swap.

Keith
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Keith,

Not sure how the file became a .rar :blush: although I do use WinRar a lot for other situations. So please do upload the .axe file and then I'll remove the other one.

And thanks again for your input with the files and tutorials :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil
File is too large for system to accept do I need to split it into the individual pushpin sets? Current size is 3516KB
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Keith,

I've increased the filesize allowance if you have the chance to try uploading again?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Chris

Neil has lodged the ACSI/Boardatlasfile now in the members download. It is a big file and tip 4 post explains how to edit it into a more manageable file according to your trip need. Remember to make a template (tip 1) of the full file first and you will always be able to create a working file to play with
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post