By xpimps on Sunday, 15 September 2013
Posted in Beginners
Replies 5
Likes 0
Views 3.8K
Votes 0
Hi - When looking at motorhomes on various selling sites, one thing that pops up now and then is "Recently resealed".

Does this mean that the seals around the door, windows, sunroofs etc have been resealed or does it have something to do with the roof or the underneath?

Thanks
Stephen
Sorry, don't know. It may mean different things to different people, so maybe best to ask if you're really interested in a particular model
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
On some vans the sealant between joint does become brittle over time, so if it cracks could let in water, they can also can get very grubby and look dirty...
My Autotrail always took a lot of sun on the front overhead cab where there was a seal.. I used to re-do it every few years to be on the safe side..
If people say re-sealed then they are either looking after their van and doing good maintainance or they have had an issue and have HAD to re-seal... You just need to ask a few more questions..
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
To the best of my knowledge, it will refer to a roof to side panel seal, or as Tonka said, somewhere on the overcab. You do have to be wary when buying a second hand vehicle which has been resealed... ask yourself, how long was it leaking before being resealed, therefore how much water got into the roof space or wherever? We learnt this the hard way, by trusting the salesman :dry:
We had the roof to side sealant redone and it failed within a few months, when we were down in Denia, Spain. We had to come back to the UK to have it re-done under warranty, but in the meantime, we'd had a lot of water ingress, which over time, could cause us problems. In the end, we had a polyurea coating hotsprayed over the entire roof and four inches down the sides - nothing's gonna get past that! It's the same product which is now often used to reseal cracked shower floors
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Wow, that hasn't put me off lol

Thanks for the advice, my budget will not stretch to a "newish" one so I will need to be really careful when looking over the motorhomes.

Thanks
Stephen
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Wow, that hasn't put me off lol

Thanks for the advice, my budget will not stretch to a "newish" one so I will need to be really careful when looking over the motorhomes.

Thanks
Stephen

Yes, it shouldn't put you off, there are thousands of brilliant old vans out there, our Monty is 14 years old. We have thought that the top resealing might be something we would automatically do if we ever bought another van, before the worst happened... it's quite a common issue with older vans :huh:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post