By mothy54 on Tuesday, 28 July 2015
Replies 10
Likes 0
Views 4.4K
Votes 0
Hi everyone, for my first van do I go for a pristine 2007 Autotrail tracker EKS SE that is £5000 less than a 2011 Bailey Approach SE? I dont have loads of money but can just afford the latter. The 2007 has only done 35000 miles
Hi mothy54,

Not really a clearcut answer to that one :dry:

It might depend on how long you intend to keep the van. Do you think the newer, more expensive van will keep its extra 'value' in say, 5 years? It could also be that the older van is of a better build quality although I am not familiar with either in detail. Are both layouts equally to your requirements? Does the older van look that much more dated than the newer one?

I think the mileage for 2007 is not exceptionally low so not sure that should be a big factor.

There are just so many variables its not just comparing one year with another.

Just my 2p worth
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
My advice would be whichever vehicle you are drawn to make sure you have a damp check and report from a reliable source. Most other things can be sorted without major work but damp ingress tends to get bodged because it is so expensive to cure properly. On the cab side, regular service and corrective recall work if needed should also be checked out. You also need to be sure of the sort of use you anticipate. If it is only weekending then making a bed up from pieces of foam cushions may be OK, but would you want to carry on doing it for a month? If economy is important then overcabs will loose out by 6 or 8 mpg on lowline coach builds. Storage of those essentials like barbeque table and chairs need to have a home somewhere on board. Make a list of requirements and remember most owners sell their campers for a reason, try to unravel what that is. Lastly don't rush, private sellers will deal so don't be afraid to start with a silly offer.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Very sensible articulate advice which I have taken on board. Thank you so much
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello and Welcome

If the MH is over 3.5 tonne then it might also be worth checking if the engines are to the same Euro emission standards, especially if you plan going into London and some major cities in Europe in the future. Also low mileage is not necessarily good thing. Commercial vehicles are good for at least 200 / 300k miles if they are regularly maintained. vehicles that sit around just get seized up brakes, seals and rust etc.

Our MH as done 100k so is just about run in :lol:

Hope this helps

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Further observation....

I just had a scout around to see how these models compare and the first important issue that struck me was the advertised payload difference.

Whilst the Bailey has 500+ kgs the Autotrail only has 285kgs, so you'd have to be very sure of your weights to keep legal. Don't forget that any accessories added to the original vehicle will have eaten into this as well - awning, any extra battery etc etc.

The figures above are only taken from search results so you would need to check them yourself.

Just another 2p worth

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
That is such a valid point. Thank you so much.PHEW! that was close. Looking at the Autotrail tomorrow!
Thanks again
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil, I also found those figures after your warning but then found these figures from a review. Not sure now. Will have to look at plate details on the vehicle. Also found loads of complaints about reversing judder on inclines with the Fiat 2.3. Maybe need a bit more time on this one. Thanks
Martin
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30209-auto-trail-tracker-eks
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Mothy
Juddering when reversing uphill is quite common with some of the Fiat models. Our 2002, 2.8 TJD on a tag axle, is typical of this phenomenon. That said, it hasn't really affected our travels, although on one occasion I can remember there was a lot of revving clutch slipping and plenty of smoke when we had to to do a short reverse uphill as there was no alternative.

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thank you Spinner, I never bought either of those MH's I viewed as it happens. I am being quite picky though as it is loads of money and my first time. Helpful advice like yours is so important especially for us 'techys'. Trying to find out when and where all the shows are. Have done various searches but only the NEC biggy comes up but I suppose that is for new vans only.
Cheers Mate.
Martin
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Am having similar choice dilemma as look to change current motorhome for one with different bed arrangement. Think we need island bed as although we are mainly weekenders we do like to be out hiking and after long walk often return tired so the thought of always having to make up bed is putting us off rear lounge arrangement as is lack of storage potential. Mind you that might cure other half’s “ you never know” collection which I have named the “ never will “ boxes.
·
4 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post