By Brian.meehan on Saturday, 17 October 2015
Replies 3
Likes 0
Views 2K
Votes 0
:unsure: :welcome4: does anyone know. About a clunk on start up of the 3lt auto trail Arapaho 2008 just had a new clutch fitted, came back with a clunk on start up. The garage replaced it with another new clutch did 1500 miles and something happened. Then had to pay for new bearings in gear box. Does anyone know who would be responsible for this? Does fiat know about this problem and
Who would I contact? Before all the work was carried out the van was ok apart from a slipping clutch. Is there any other sites that could help"
Is it a 'clunk' or a 'ting' noise.
Quite often its the dual mass flywheel that 'tings', it should have been replaced with the clutch really as for the gearbox bearings, the gearbox oil should be checked/replaced on some services to prevent excess wear/damage to them.
If the parts used are non manufacturer parts ie 'pattern' or 'factor' parts these can cause all sorts of issues.
Personally I will never use anything other than genuine parts on any of my vehicles, yes sometimes they are more expensive but they last much longer and fit and work first time.
It may have lost gearbox oil when the drive shafts were removed to do the clutch, so the garage might have not topped it up or used a sub standard/wrong grade oil, which caused the bearings to wear excessively.

I would guess at they didn't top the oil up and used a motor factor 'cheap' quality parts.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi thanks for your reply this has had 2 genuine LUK clutches and still have the same problem it is a clunk fiat are saying this is normal why when it was running ok
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The only thing I can think of is that the new clutch is different/modified in some way to cause this.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post