By Griffsontour on Thursday, 03 December 2015
Replies 3
Likes 0
Views 1.6K
Votes 0
:unsure:
Morning everyone !
We are setting off to the port in Calais tomorrow for an overnight stop while my husband changes our car in the UK so we are only planning on staying near the port for one night .
We stayed there many times in the past and always had a great time but with the recent trouble around the area we hoped that someone here might have some comments regarding is it now an area best avoided or any advice that may be helpful ?
Thank you for any comments, hope you all have a great day x
Hello Griffs and welcome

We were in Calais back in the summer and the centre of Calais was fine. There are so many fences along the road to the port now. I think if you take the usual precautions when parking up, then all should be well. We came back to the UK via Dunkirk. but only to avoid the wildcat strikes, which I think are more of an issue when trying to get home.

Spinner :welcome4:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi, Back in the nauties when there was the other camp near Calais (the name of which escapes me now) we started going to St Omer for our shopping trips. Only about half an hour from the port, It is a lovely little town and in those days was far enough away from Calais not to be bothered by the imigrant troubles at the time.
There is an Aire there:
Aire de Camping-Car du Haut Pont
Rue de la Gaiete
62500 St. Omer
http://www.campercontact.com/en/france/nord-pas-de-calais-59-62/st-omer/25011/motorhome-parking-aire-de-camping-car-du-haut-pont.aspx

Hope this helps
J
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Griffs
We have been using Eurotunnel for some years and have had no problems at Calais so far. However, on our outward journey we overnight at Canterbury Park & Ride, get an early train and pass through Calais and out into Central France withour stopping. On our return to Uk we stay in Aires within an hour or so of Calais eg Le Touquet, Wissant or Montreuil sur Mer. The latter is a favourite with a short walk into the village and excellent restaurants-58 mins on SatNav

regards
Barry
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post