By victor56 on Tuesday, 29 March 2016
Posted in Suggestion Box
Replies 6
Likes 0
Views 3.3K
Votes 0
Hi everyone I am new to motor home I was thinking of buying a chieftain or lunar road star 900 but I am concerned it be to big for site around Europe has anyone had any problems in the past want to go Portugal to Spain France Hungary looking for touring for about 8 months hence the bigger motor home would really appreciate your feed back many thanks
Hello Victor56 and welcome. :welcome1:

If I am correct an Autotrail Chieftain is 8 metres long, which is the same length as our van.

I don't think you will have a problem. In the many years of travelling Europe I think I can only recall that on two occasions we couldn't get on a site, nor would a 6 metre van! The main thing will be rear overhang that catches you out when going up or down a steep slope when turning.

Choosing a motorhome will always be a compromise.

Go for it!

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thank you its about 8780 in length but I think ill go for it its a fiat 3000 engine I am told they are very reliable 11000 thousand miles on clock 2009
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We have a Burstner just under 9m. We regularly go down to Portugal through France and over the Pyrenees into Spain. Been to Italy and Greece as well. Most sites/Aires are fine.
As Spinner says be aware of long overhang.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I'd agree with previous comments.

Our last van was 6.5 mtrs and the current one is 7.8 mtrs - the extra is noticeable when it comes to tight maneuvers and parking spaces but hasn't been too much of a problem although for me I wouldn't want to go bigger.

I assume you have the relevant licence category for the weight of vehicle ie over 3.5 tons :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thank you yes I passed my test in 1977 so I am ok for 7.5 ton
·
7 years ago