Tuesday, 19 July 2016
  12 Replies
  5.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi all, for those of you who don't know, I am doing a 4 week tour of the South West.
We are starting this Sunday in Severnake forest, Wiltshire where some of my kids school friends are camping for a few days.
Then the loose plan is to head along the north Devon and Cornwall coast down to lands end, then up the south coast possibly as far as Poole in Dorset before heading home.
I will also be stopping in Falmouth for a few days to use my mates boat which is moored there.

After Severnake forest we are not planning to use any campsites at all (cant afford to!) I will be using the multiple carparks that allow overnighting in the area and every 4 nights or so a club motorhome pub stop, which I have already arranged loo cassette emptying and fresh water filling from the landlords (they were all so welcoming to the idea)

Anybody who is in the area and wanted to meet up or even tag along with us, the more the merrier!

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids but none of us are grown up! :p

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi my name is Dawn and I would love to tag along as im a single traveller im allso heading to cornwall im struggling with Internet at the moment here's my no can you message me 07746136772
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Tom and family. You don't say when you intend to start your journey but I wish you all luck. It will be VERY busy down that way during July / August, much to do and see. If it all gets a bit hecktic then we live in Somerset, just outside England's smallest city of Wells, with much to do in the area.....Cheddar gorge and caves, Weston Super Mare with miles of sand, Street shopping outlet, Somerset Levels for flat cycling, Glastonbury with it's Tor and different was of life, Wells City with the Bishops Palace and wonderful Cathedral. Plenty of campsites at various prices, don't know of any free overnight parking but you could chat up Micheal Evis, he has a few fields and is only just down the road in Pilton!! ( bring yer wellies!!) Enjoy yourselves, wherever you go. :)
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ok Dawn, will do.

Hi Old Soldier, yes it will be a little busy but when you have kids at school like I do, everywhere is busy when we can go away!
I know Wells, my dad has a friend who lives there and my wifes cousin is the manager at the travis perkins in Wells.
I also know Devon and especially Cornwall well, we go to Cornwall at least 3 times a year for at least a week as I have good friends down there.

We might visit Glasto tour en route because we are also going to Tintagel, so that will tie in well for the kids later on. (even if we did go to an island in France that they claim is the true isle of Avalon!)

As for the free parking, that doesn't really worry us, we are just as happy in a layby for the night as we are on a site etc. I might stay in a club motorhome pub stop near Bridgewater one night anyway but I also know a few spots that I have used before.

We starting this Sunday (24th July) and I have at least until the 22nd of August free but the way a new work contract is panning out, I might have until the 29th! :D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Tom. Sounds like you know where you are going. Our kids flew the nest many moons ago and we tend to do our travelling in school term times, partly because it's cheaper but also because I worked at Wells Cathedral School for many years as Facilities Manager. My really busy times were in School holidays, which was fortunate for us.
Have a good trip, stay safe and enjoy yourselves. :)
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We are in Flaxpool. If you are stuck for a night's parking let me know and we can direct you to a nice spot. I am sure the Blue Ball at Triscombe would let you park up there if you asked.
Have a good trip!
Max
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Max, I will bare it in mind, not exactly sure of where and when we will be yet as we are playing it by ear!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm back! :o

Sorry I have not been on here but Club Motorhome just simply doesn't want to work on my android phone, so much so I gave up with it!
So I couldn't come on to get your number Dawn or come on to update the thread.

We had a great time but came back a few days early because the kids wanted to.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Me again with a short overview of our trip.

It ended up being 3 weeks away, not the original 4 weeks, with 700 miles covered in total.

The costs were

£160 Diesel.
Site fees £24 (we had 1 night only on a site)
Overnight Parking fees £57
Daytime parking fees £55.60
Food out and entrance fees £200

Total spent £496.60 for the 4 of us for 3 weeks away. (cheaper than the Portsmouth to Caen ferry we originally had booked!)

I have not included food bought from supermarkets because obviously we would be buying it anyway, even at home!

I will be writing a blog on the trip soon, in which you will all be able to read the details on how we did things and what we did.
So please keep an eye out for it!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Tom
sorry not been in touch my plans changed due to familly Illness.
hope you had a great trip
Maybe i can tag allong next time :)
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

ADVERT - Full Members don't see these - click our link below to hide them

Click here to join or upgrade to Full Member

We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection