Wednesday, 18 January 2017
  9 Replies
  4.3K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Thought it time to say hello, we are Colin and Sara and we have been motorhoming for the last 20 years. we have a Carthago which we bought new last year.
Looking forward to helping out with technical issues, having worked in the automotive industry all my life.
Will be uploading some photos of the work I have done on our Carthago over the next few weeks.

Colin
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Colin,
Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to with a new Carthago!
Dave
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Colin and Sara

I am sure sharing your twenty years experience with those just starting out (and oldies) will be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Spinner:)

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Sara and Colin

Have added you to my list of brains to pick ... My old camper needs all the help it can get :D

Kathy & Max the dog

Kathy and Max dog

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment to animals.”

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Colin,
Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to with a new Carthago!
Dave

Hi Dave,

I will be posting some photos when I have resized them. I have not been impressed with some of the dealers handywork in the past, so I prefer to fit many of the extras myself. Although the Carthago is a great MH, and by far the best one we have owned, there are still a few things that can be improved, as with all MH's.
First job was to fit some 12v and USB sockets in the hab area, and upgrading to 2 leisure batteries. Two 100w solar panels were next, along with a sat dish while up on the roof. A twin reversing camera was put on with a mirror type monitor and a DAB radio put in.. A NASA battery monitor was fitted along with a 1800w inverter and a few more mains sockets.
I put chequer plate on the garage floor then fitted a sliding bike rack and a rack for 3 storage boxes and the spare wheel.
Meanwhile Sara was lining the cab curtains and making up cushions with the extra material we ordered with the MH. She also made some fitted sheets and duvet covers for the island bed.
Next job is to fit the Gaslow system which we purchased at the Lincoln show, just waiting for the current gas cylinder to run out. W also have the External BBQ point to fit.
This work had to be fitted in around our trips away and the weather, and I had lots of problems with a faulty Sat dish unit as supplied from Teleco, but we now have a MH which is as near to perfect for us.

Colin
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Colin,
Wow, you have been busy.
We picked up our Carthago Compact Line from Elite in Banbury in April 2016. Luckily for us they had upped the spec on the original order plus as part of the deal they swapped our solar panel and gaslow system to the new van. We thought about an external BBQ point but the pipework is very tight in the locker and the point would be on the wrong side, so for the moment we have given up on that and just carry a spare lpg bottle in better weather!! I also looked at the spare wheel situation and because the AlKo chassis won't take an underslung rack we just carry a spare camper tyre as opposed to a complete spare wheel. It fits snugly to the inner garage wall recess with a net. I have also fitted a bike rack in the garage, but we use the "Really Useful" stacking boxes for all the bits and pieces. I have added some extra sockets including the type that incorporate a USB charging socket, however two have failed, so the jury is out on that design. Look forward to the pics, particularly if you fit the external BBQ point on the hab door side. One question, have you increased the door lock security, I'm still pondering that one!
Dave
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Not sure of your layout Dave, ours is a T150. We have the TEC tower to the left of the hab door with a drawer underneath. Behind the drawer is the gas feed pipe to the fridge so I am planning to tee into that and put the BBQ point under the lower fridge vent. Saw one fitted there on another Carthago with a similar layout.
We ordered the premium door with 2 catches and central locking, have you got this? We have been happy with this (so far!)
We got our MH from Go European in Staffordshire. Dave and Sue the owners are a lovely couple but probably not the best dealers. Just had the first hab/damp service , no problems found but £300???? Glad we got that as part of the deal, will have to pay next year though.

Colin
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Colin,
Yes, I think you are right about the gas point location, our fridge position is similar to yours so a bit more investigation behind the drawers is required! You are right about the habitation fee!! Elite did warn us about it, apparently Carthago charge Elite around £90 per check just to allow Elite to attach the Carthago warranty sticker; and of course without the sticker the 10 year warranty is worthless, talk about rock and a hard place. We have got the double/central locking on the hab and passenger doors, it was more the locks on the garage locker that I wondered about.
Dave
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Colin welcome, We to ride an a class Cathago full time for the last three years. We shall follow your tech missives with enthusiastic arduour. ;)
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Colin and Sara!
Nice to meet you.
Having a possibility to ask for a piece of advice an experienced driver is also a good idea.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection