Tuesday, 28 February 2017
  62 Replies
  10.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
In the process of having a midlife crisis after being made redundant/constructive dismissal/going bust (it's complicated) last year

We want to buy a motorhome and drive up the East coast (with lots of stops) across Scotland & down the West coast between May & September.

But we need a motor home which:
Is automatic
Has a fixed bed
Has a third seat belt for when our daughter can get off college to come & visit/stay with us (not necessarily a berth as she can camp)
The bed needs to be accessible without climbing over each other (but not singles as we like to cuddle)
& is less than about £35k
Oh & in an ideal world we'd like to put a 50cc moped somewhere on/in it (I'm not an engineer this all looks very complicated)

& finally we are also taking out cat!

We intend to buy, have our holiday then sell as tbh we can't really afford it (midlife crisis as I mentioned)

I hope upon reading this you will understand that I really don't have a clue, last time I was in a caper van I was 4 (1972) & I had whooping cough (my parents were not tremendously pleased) & DH has never been in one ever!!

Nice to meet you all & any help gratefully received!
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello KatyMac

35k should get you a good van that meets your needs, although automatics are not readily available. I would suggest you visit one of the outdoor shows where a good range of (pre loved & not so loved) motorhomes are on sale and look at online adverts as well. I would say unless you are both slightly built then a 50cc scoot is not going to get you far fast, and to be honest, is more dangerous than a faster bike that can keep up with the traffic.

Spinner

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We can do the short course but I doubt we could manage/insure/buy anything bigger as bikes were more our thing than anything with an engine :)

It's only to go & get forgotten shopping or a trip to the station to get into 'town' iyswim to save moving the van if we don't need to
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry what outdoor shows?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Apologies

Not sure where you live but if you google outdoor motorhome shows you will find a list of shows. In the south we have one at the Bath & West showground and the Newbury Showground.

Hope this helps

Spinner

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yep, agree outdoor show(s) would be good as you can usually see quite a few dealers' stock in one place. Other than that go to a couple of the larger dealers and have a good long look around their stock. Spend a bit of time in any motorhome that looks half likely and really get a feel for it.

Oh and I don't see the cat as being too much of a problem, we've seen quite a few in motorhomes over the years :)

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I went to the NEC last week & they were all amazing & out of our price range!!

We think a French bed will minimise climbing (for the loo at night)

We are in rural Norfolk (near Yarmouth) so I'll Google outdoor shows

The cat is siamese so as long as he has his 'pets' (that would DH & me) he is happy ;)
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I went to the NEC last week & they were all amazing & out of our price range!!

That's where big dealers' forecourts come in - lots of secondhand ones to look at :)

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We are in rural Norfolk (near Yarmouth) so I'll Google outdoor shows

The cat is siamese so as long as he has his 'pets' (that would DH & me) he is happy ;)

You have Simpsons Motorhomes in Suffolk Road Yarmouth and Becks in Rollesby ... If you Google Motorhome sellers Norfolk you will find quite a few ...
I have visited Both Becks and Simpsons ... they had some nice vans but they were all to big for me
I also visited and kept a look out on the wesites of AJ Caravans and Motorhomes in Felmingham
There are some in Suffolk and Essex ... you will probably have to travel quite a bit until you find your ideal ... I know I did ... there are others in Norfolk but they mainly do campers and smaller cheaper motorhomes like I was after
Hope this helps you a bit ... good luck with your search

I have seen lots of cats with their pets on sites and even ferrets, rats and snakes ... :D

Kathy and Max dog

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment to animals.”

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've just seen one - it's really nice but it doesn't have an oven

Could I use an ordinary combined microwave/oven/grill? Or would it have to be special somehow?

I'd need to change the 'loads' which they say is a paperwork exercise to put a thing on the back for the moped (260 for paperwork & about 1200 for the thing)

It also doesn't have a seatbelt for DD but we could collect her from the station using the moped or leave someone (DH as I navigate better) behind while I collect her

She won't be coming too often I guess
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
What one is it?

I am thinking of looking at microwaves as I tend to live on Baked spuds when away (Cooking is a skill I never mastered) or eat out in pubs which gets a bit expensive on a long trip

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We use our oven most days but our van has a 240 v mircrowave that we have never used in over 4 years!
How much you wanna pay for it Kathy? :o

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Could I use an ordinary combined microwave/oven/grill? Or would it have to be special somehow?

I think realistically you'll only be able to use a microwave if you are on hookup, so depends on the type of motorhoming that you intend to do...

A popular item for non oven users is a double skillet, we don't have one but know several people who do and they seem to be a great alternative to an oven.

I just had a quick look for some info and found this video https://youtu.be/CKHiabsDQKU

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm quite a cook & DH will be unhappy if there are no homemade cake or bread for 4 months!!

But thinking throught my repatoire an awful lot can be done with 'just' a microwave or a combination oven (if the electrics will cope)

I'd have to add a few bits to make it suitable for us (not including the microwave!)

The gentleman discussed changing the papwerwork (somehow) to allow it to have the moped on the back (but I am wondering about electric bikes instead) & offered some extras
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
& can we only charge phones/laptops when we are hooked up?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I would recommend planning for everything to work off 12 volt, so it will work wherever you are.
Then if you are on hook up or not you know you are fine.

A good case in point was a guy I met on the seafront in Exmouth and he was sat outside a 2015 motorhome with a small camping stove cooking, when I questioned him he told me the cooker in the camper was electric and he couldn't use it unless on EHU!
To me that is totally daft, my wife has cooked bread, cakes and often does a roast with our gas oven whilst we are just parked in car parks.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
My old van did not cost anything like what you have to spend and it has an oven, all be it a small one ... but then there is only me to cook for ... any motorhome up to the price you are thinking of spending should have an oven ... think you just need to keep looking
You have not said what model make the one you have seen is?

NEILMAC thanks for the skillet link ... that might be a better idea :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
But without a cooker I might be stumped

My brother is wittering on about generators; don't have a clue what he is on about - I thought solar panels & batteries would be fine
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Umm it's a 2004 (04) Rapido 986M
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Just to say thanks for all your help......even if I don't always understand the questions never mind the answers;)
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
But without a cooker I might be stumped

My brother is wittering on about generators; don't have a clue what he is on about - I thought solar panels & batteries would be fine

I have looked up the one you are looking at ... it has a cooker just not an oven ... did you look at the link NEILMAC put up for the skillet ... just means you can do it all on the stove top and not need loads of pans .......
Your brothers idea of a generator is OK but you would need to get one that was very quiet when running and some sites do not allow them ... but if you want to go the Microwave route then you may have to ... they are not cheap though

Keep looking at the different Motorhomes ... you may find one you like just as much but that has an oven :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
He lives on a boat - so his ideas can be quirky!

If I'm plugged in I can use microwave/combination oven & everything else

Are pitches with electric a lot more expensive than other pitches & how common are they - I'm guessing I can plan meals around only having an oven 2/3 times a week

I remember my mum producing amazing meals on 2 rings & a barbeque on a campsite in north Wales:D
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Most sites (in the UK) have 16amp supplies ... you need to keep an eye on the wattage ratings and don't use up to the limit to stop tripping out ... so for instance if you have a 800w oven you do a simple calculation of ... amps = watts divided by volts ... it would be 800w /240v = 3.3amps ... a kettle uses 1800w on average so that would be 1800w/240v = 7.50amps ... so if you had the oven and the kettle on at the same time you would be drawing 10.80amps so this would not be a good thing to do as you will probably already have your fridge and water heater running and drawing about 4amps

I know this all sounds a bit much but all I am saying in learn what power you are using so it becomes second nature to you :)

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Would some of them be gas (water heater/oven?)

Or do they use electric too?

Sorry if I am asking obvious questions - it's a massive learning curve
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The fridges can be gas, Elec or 12v (for use when engine running i.e travelling) ... Water heaters can be Gas and Elec ... Stoves sometimes have one electric plate (on the newer vans)
You asked about Microwave/combi ovens ... so thats why I was mentioning them and the fact if on Electric Hookup you cannot just use everything at once ... but I am not good at explaining ... So hope someone else can explain it better for you

Good luck with your searching :)

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
No your explanations are lovely - just it leads me to new/further questions

Thank you
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
OK Insurance seems to be very varied in price!!

Any sensible questions I need to ask at the dealers on Saturday when we have a test drive?

They say they can put an oven in easily
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
& how safe is it to carry a passenger without a seatbelt? It goes against all my instincts
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
As a rough guide, from my memory, the law is as follows
Pre 2002 motorhomes passengers can sit anywhere
2002 to 2006 motorhomes, all forward facing seats must have seat belts but passengers can sit anywhere
2006 motorhomes onwards, passengers can only sit in forward facing seats and all must have seatbelts.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Tom, that means it's legal; but is it safe - I am a worrier! It's a flaw!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Tom, that means it's legal; but is it safe - I am a worrier! It's a flaw!

Not a flaw when you are dealing with others lives.............
I don't even let my dog travel without he is in his travel harness and that is attached to a seatbelt stalk ...
Here are a couple of explanations of the laws etc ... but personally I would not carry any passengers that in seats that don't have a seatbelt ... you may also be advised to ask if the insurance has anything to say on the subject
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/17-motorhome-seatbelts

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Kathy - that's what i feel

OK I have cancelled the test drive

My husband's cousin needs a lift to Hunstanton for a show & my daughter wants to go too; in an ideal world we'd pick them up take them watch the show - sleep over in the van & then come home but with only 2 seatbelst that isn't safe (imo - I am an ex childminder & risk assessment is my thing......& I over compensate!!)

So we are back on the hunt for a 4 seatbelted, french bedded, automatic for about £30k!!

This could take a while but I guess I have an idea what I want & I have to stick to it & not be tempted away but lovely things that aren't quite right :(
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm sure you will find what you are looking for ... don't get disheartened ... everyone here has been through the "is it right for us" stage ... keep us informed of your progress :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Today's wasn't right either

Off to the theatre now....
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
With the seat belts, how safe something is it up to each of us to decide.
As for searching, when the right one comes up, you will know it. It took us 3 years to find ours but as soon as we went inside we both knew it was the one! :D
4 years on, I have been thinking of changing the motorhome again but even at 3 times the price I have not yet found one to compare, the build quality on later ones is shocking in some cases.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I hope it doesn't take us three years we are hoping to leave on 1st May!!

Yesterdays just weren't right; I feel a road trip coming on!!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
How much haggling is likely at the dealers?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
How much haggling is likely at the dealers?

I found it varied ... some are open to haggle, especially if you are cash buyers, and some just will not budge from their price ... I was in a different position from yourselves and bought privately in the end ... but if I was paying your sort of money I would be going to a dealer and probably concentrating on a long warranty in any deal
You are in a good position as you don't have a trade in and remember if you don't ask you will never know :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I know a guy who is a salesman for a dealer.
He says the bottom line is £5000 profit on the motorhome and the salesman gets £2000 for each one he sells. So they price them up between £8000 and £10000 above the cost price but will accept £7000 above cost price.
So they may be £3000 haggle room, if your lucky!
But other dealers will be different.

Mind you, you could save much more buying privately.

Its easy to go and buy any motorhome but for me buying the right one that I will fall in love with and would last us many years took time because so many people don't look after them and then want the earth for them.
Also our camper was nothing like we were looking for, different layout etc.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We can go out hunting on wednesday but we need to find 2 or 3 close together to make it worth while

I just thought it would be easier - I wish I could drive manuals!!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Have you tried rummaging through autotrader ... I went through looking at all the different makes and models ... the pictures show you the interiors and how the layouts work ... you can also filter for Auto's only

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I know this doesn't help, but when looking for ours, we went to Cornwall, North and South Wales, Kent, Sussex and loads of places in between, before finding ours about 2 miles from home! :o

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
i seem to live on autotrader - it would be nice if they were more honest on the filters (the number of manual/2 seatbelts/lhd still left in the results is pathetic)

The automatic is non-negociable, the ease with which I can get in & out of bed also

I think I have line up 9 to ring up about tomorrow all towards Somerset!!

Buying privately might be cheaper but with no technical or mechanical knowledge I could end up with a pig in a poke

Buying from so far away is also scary as if anything goes wrong it's 4 hrs drive away
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
On the subject of private purchase ... if you see one you like and go look ... perhaps you could then get a Vehicle Inspection done by either your own garage or the RAC etc ... it would cost a bit but for peace of mind and extra saving ... might be worth looking into

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I would always get an independent opinion anyway. No matter where I bought from :p

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
You see I can't get my head round the logistics of it all

If I bought it locally I could ask my garage.... but they won't be driving 5 (10?) hrs for me to check it out

& if I buy one from moles away what happens if something goes wrong - halfway to cotland & I have to come back to get it fixed under warrantee?

I need to relax about this stuff but it stresses me
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Many warrantees are not worth bothering with any way.
However I know what you mean, however if your miles from home any way, would it matter where the motorhome came from because every where is miles away! :D

What about this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-PLATE-MERCEDES-SPRINTER-2-7AUTOMATIC-RIMOR-SAILER-645TC-4-BERTH-REAR-GARAGE-/252799712198?hash=item

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
You see I can't get my head round the logistics of it all

If I bought it locally I could ask my garage.... but they won't be driving 5 (10?) hrs for me to check it out

& if I buy one from moles away what happens if something goes wrong - halfway to cotland & I have to come back to get it fixed under warrantee?

I need to relax about this stuff but it stresses me

If you bought from miles away use someone like the RAC, AA or green flag and if locally use your garage ...
If you are halfway to Scotland and have to come back you will use your breakdown cover (this is something you need to get a good on of) so it only costs a bit of time ... try and chill nothing cannot be overcome :)

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ok time/RAC(et al)/chill - I can do this!!

Not really brave enough to buy from eBay......bit of a control thing going on & it's scary;)

I can do this
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well you don't really buy from ebay, you go and meet the seller and buy from them! :o

It will be ok in the end.....................

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
OK -I think we have found it after seeing more vans than I can possibly imagine!!

It needs new upholstery (speaking to a local firm)

Should I get it checked even thou' it's from a dealer? Or do we trust them on thier reputation?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I would get it checked ... then you will feel better ... what warranty are they offering ... repholstery is not cheap ... factor that in in any deal ...
so that's the business end sorted ... so what is it and what year ... any pictures :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
So the caravan & motorhome club do a check on the house but but won't look at the engine who do I get to look at that RAC or similar?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
get it checked independently no matter what!
As for re-upholstery, regal furnishings are good and they let you overnight in there yard whilst they do it but ours cost about £1000!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
So the caravan & motorhome club do a check on the house but but won't look at the engine who do I get to look at that RAC or similar?

The running gear and engine are the main concern and if the vehicle has been in any accidents and repaired free of finance etc.
The dealer should have a habitation check done ... make sure this includes a damp check
I googled it and came up with http://www.macic.co.uk/ but suggest you google it yourself and find one you feel happy with

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I bought one!!

http://www.webbsmotorcaravans.co.uk/benimar-top-7000-cc-l/

So excited

Well done ... it looks very nice ... now don't forget to to take a notebook ... for all those adventure blogs you are going to post in CM :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
A notebook? I was considering videoing &playing it on a loop for the first 3 or 4 weeks.....
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kathy and Max dog

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well done :D

Was it from the Warminster branch?

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yes - it's miles away from us!!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
So much for not travelling far :D
I live 10 minutes from the reading branch, that's why I was asking.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We drove past reading (I think)

Sorry for the late reply there was a hiccup with the page numbering

Thanks Neilmac!
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection