Monday, 22 January 2018
  44 Replies
  6.9K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Could do with a tad bit of Help Please for my travels to Norway (late April 2018)
More or less know where I'm heading for over night stops in Holland, Germany and Denmark,
Now into Sweden could do with some idea where I would be able to spend overnights ?
I'm hoping to limit my daily driving to three to three fifty hours at a time,
Hoping to give myself some time for a bit of site seeing/photography etc at each stopover
(Or possibly two night stay) I believe its something you can't plan in advance because you never know how much you might like a place with plenty of interest and stay longer
Anyone Please know of Campsites/Stopovers on this route mainly Sweden ? (at the moment)
Would be a great help and be very much appreaciated,
Rate this post:
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
;)
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Bri

I don't have anything specific but here is a useful link about camping in Scandinavia that may help with your research.

Spinner
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thank you very much Spinner, That will be a big help :D
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Had a read on that on the website Spinner, Made me feel a lot better now, I wasn't sure about the wild camping for Mo Ho's but here it tells you that you can park up for the night anywhere as long as it's off the road and away from habitation, Will I be brave enough when the time comes, I ask myself
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Begining to think I'm biting off more than I can chew with my idea to go to Norway by myself Help !
Back to struggling to chose the route from Copenhagen to Bodo in Norway, where I intend to get the ferry across to the Lofoten Isles,
Toss up to go through Sweden or go via Oslo and Trondhiem
I am favoring the Norweigen way at the Mo and returning back through Sweden along the Baltic coast,
Anyone with any suggestions would be much appreaciated
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Bri
This is something that I will be planning over the next couple of years so I'm watching this post with great interest. I haven't started planning it yet so I'm no help. However, I will be looking at it this weekend and will pass on anything I find.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thank you ChrisCo
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Bri

You could get the ferry from Hirtshals in Denmark (stop at Skagen to see the meeting of the seas) to Kristiansand, Norway. Take the E39 west and then ferry hop north all the way to Trondheim and then pick up the E6. There are so many great places to visit on the way up. You can overnight at the ferry terminals, no need to book as they run like buses. :D

PS don't hold back - go for it
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yes Spinner, That was my initial plan, I've looked all the possibilities with this route,
Because you can go from Hertshals to Bergen (a place I know) or I was looking at going across to Stavanger Allways wanted to go to Pulpit Rock,
But then setting my heart on and making my aim the Lofoten isles this time,
I plan to go via Hamburg / Copenhagen / Oslo

At the mo I'm looking up Olden, To visit on my way up
Back to retracing my steps from a visit with my Late Wife to the Brikstal Glacier
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Bri,I'm heading up that way about the same time,towards the end of april when the weather picks up.
More or less i'll be going Puttgarden-Rødby up through sweden ,possibly the Lofoten islands and down through norway.
Sweden allows wildcamping and norway is as good so I'm informed.I found a handy set of youtube videos to give an idea of whats on offer here if nothing else it makes good viewing with coordinates of their stops along the way.
campervan culture
I'm doing a similar route and hoping to do some fishing along the way.
If I can fit my 5 man avon dinghy and electric motor aboard then that'll be going along with me.It packs up to a small kitbag :)
I won't be needing big deckchairs this trip :)

Pete and jan

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Pete, thank you for the link, My planning is still ongoing at this minute,
My plans so far are Sunday 29th April Harwich depart 23:00 - Hook of Holland arrive 08:00 Puttgerden - Rodby ferry then Copenhagen - Gothenburg - Oslo
Up through Norway with a Deffo destination for a few nights at Olden,
Would like to visit again after visiting before with my late Wife, (Brikstal Glacier)
Then onwards to Bodo for the Ferry across to the Lofoten isle - Vesteralen isle
Don't know till I arrive on the isles how long I'll stay (would like to forever)
I'll travel off the isles to Narvik, Then the next big question I'll be asking myself !
Turn left and go to Tromso or to head Back home via the Swedish Baltic coast
Which ever way I'll be traveling back Sweden - Denmark - Germany - Holland
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Bri,I can see the reason to get to the best bits first and thats given me something to think about :)
I,m thinking of going anti clockwise taking in the wilderness road first, but the distance is the same whichever way you go so I'll do a bit more studying.I,ve made up a garmin csv file from all the co-ordinates of informed stopovers and other interesting sights to see.Also got them converted to mappoint which would work for autoroute as well but they are a bit dated now.
I,ve got the Brikstal glacier in my sights as well and after looking up the ferry prices to Lofoten 350 nok about £32.50 for over 6metres then one never knows.As you say its a popular place but going early in the year may be better.
Sounds like you're more informed than me so I'll be keeping an eye on things.All the best pete

Pete and jan

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Pete,
Don't know about more informed than you,
Only possible if you have not been to these places before,
I started off by looking at the route through Sweden and travelling anticlockwise,
But then noticed Olden with Trondheim and Kristiansund along the coast,
Places I've visited along that coast, So I could end up spending a lot of my time in these places
When I should be getting a move on to my Final destination of the Lofotens,
I might even think about heading back by the same route won't really know untill I'm there

Just another query I have, How to pay for The Ferries-Campsites-Brdges etc ?
Can you pay all by card or do I carry cash Euros-Nok-krone etc ?
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
It was Spinner who sugested take the E39 west and ferry hop to Trondheim
that took my fancy
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Bri

Here are a couple of useful links. If you drill down there are some FAQ's. You can pay the conductor or at a booth, (cash or card) at the ferry terminal. As I said, if you can time it by overnighting on the quay you will be at the front of the queue.

You probably know, there is quite a bit of road pricing as well.

Getting around by Boat

Toll charges

:D

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thank you very much Spinner, the two links are Brillient and will be a great help,

I'm also think about getting the ACSI cards, because I plan to use camp sites,
Every couple or three days for over nighters with a view to stay more nights,
If I like the areas, Which I'm sure I will especially places I've been to before,
And never had the time to have a good Liesurely look Arround and photo shoot,
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi all,Although I,ve got an acsi card I don't intend using it this trip.There are so many spots to overnight that ,all being well,we'll be wildcamping as much as possible.I,ve found a site that lists all the rest area poi's in norway but not sure about putting a link here.I've converted them for autoroute and mappoint and checked them out in google maps .If you have autoroute 2011 then I can put a file on this site.I'll do it anyway.
Having spent all day yesterday searching and plotting on the 'puter I,m pretty sure it'll be up through sweden on the E45 to the Arctic circle centre.Carry on up to possibly ferry at Bognes do a left and down to ferry at Moskenes over to Bodo.
In my case as I'll be 72 in april,It'll probably be my one and only trip that way so we'll make the most of it .
The OH has been advised she needs plenty of vitamen D (sunshine) after being diagnosed with oesteopenia so it'll sunnier climes after this :)

Pete and jan

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here's the link to the gpx file for the rest areas in norway.
odins side
Click on odins rasteplassar or odins shelter in norway if using google translate to download the file.
It can be used in google earth etc.
I imported it to autoroute 2011 and made a garmin csv file also using poi converter here:
free poi converter download
I,ve uploaded the autoroute 2011 axe file which includes lpg poi's and other wildcamping poi's to the members download page,also in the zip file is the garmin csv if needed.
cheers pete

Pete and jan

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Pete , But Download fails on my I-pad
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I would recommend spending the time,and money to use the bridge from Nyborg on the way up,it's a bit pricy(70euros+) but it's a worthwhile experience if you like big bridges and tunnels,then possibly use the Ebsberg or Putingarten ferry on the way back
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Morning bri,your i-pad wont support a microsoft file.Also you'd need a copy of autoroute 2011 on a pc for it to work.
It would be worthwhile to become a full member,you'll get a lot of benefits even just access to stopover information and videos .
Hi eurosprinter ,for me it looks like Puttgarden both ways :)

Pete and jan

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Don't forget the Leardal Tunnel. Sooo much to see:o

Laerdal Tunnel

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi spinner,i had a look at that,about as long as the somport tunnel by the look of it,with a handy stop and lookout point up the road :)
Leardal tunnel to lookout point

Pete and jan

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Has I'm stopping a couple of nights in Copenhagen,
I intend to travel on the Puttgarden/Rodbyhavn ferry on the way up into Norway,
Then looking at the Great Belt Bridge to Nyborg on my route back
There are just so many different routes I don't know which what to turn lol

I would recommend spending the time,and money to use the bridge from Nyborg on the way up,it's a bit pricy(70euros+) but it's a worthwhile experience if you like big bridges and tunnels,then possibly use the Ebsberg or Putingarten ferry on the way back
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Don't forget the Leardal Tunnel. Sooo much to see:o

Laerdal Tunnel
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
:o
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi spinner,i had a look at that,about as long as the somport tunnel by the look of it,with a handy stop and lookout point up the road :)
Leardal tunnel to lookout point
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
What estimated costs do you think I'll incur with the ferries and Bridge Tolls ?
traveling Germany/Denmark/Sweden/Norway
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Have you used Via Michelin route finder app,Bri,?simular to google maps but if you input vechicle detatails as car and caravan it will give you pretty good estimate of toll/fuel charges for motorhome
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks eurosprinter , I have used Via Michelin in the past, Never gave it a thought
I'll be on it tonight when I'm back Home.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
One of my trips (2016) as a newby to motor-homing was to go from the Hook of Holland via Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Finland to Kirkeness Norway and then back around the coast of Norway via Nordkapp & Bodo and had a brilliant time. The trip to Kirkeness took us four days in total to complete the 1900+ miles, found plenty of free stops and saw Moose and more.
My advice is to ignore Sweden and Finland as you will go tree crazy as generally that is all you will see - Tree's...!! Save the cost of the bridges from Denmark to Sweden as they are very expensive especially if like me the van is 8m long. The motorway from Oslo to Malmo is sooooooooo boring...!!
Take the ferry from Denmark to Norway and head to the west coast and then North. The E6 is the main route north but try and stay to the west of this if possible it can get very tedious.
You will have a wonderful time by just going straight to Norway there is so much to see and so many wild camping spots which is what I love the most. Have a wonderful time which you will.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Why do we think (or know) why ! Micheline route won't show me to go along the E6 via Mo I Rana to Bodo ? Wants to take me into Sweden and right round ( Mystery !)

I haven't got avoid Tolls/Sea Crossings set, I have shortest route set lol
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Bri.I find that all of these routing programs seem to have a peverse mind of their own! I find using the step option on via micheline gives you a bit more control as to which way you want to go.It can be a it of a battle but it is fairly accurate estimate of costs for tolls etc,Best of luck! Paul
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Cheers Paul,
Did use the step option to Mo i Rana it took me there then retraced route bact to the road to Sweden lol ,
It had panned out quite nicely for the first step from Rotterdam to Olden
I'll be trying it another night !
See how that goes,
Who knows perhaps it's using upto date routes and that road could be still blocked with Snow lol
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
if all else fails,Bri,use my preferred option of swearing loudly at the computer and chucking a cup pf coffee over the keyboard,then pop to argos to buy a new one in the morning
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Bri

Blame it on the algorithms!! I couldn't make it work either. While surfing the net I came across this Getting to Lofoten You may well be familiar with this website but thought I would paste the link anyway.

Wish I was going that way myself:) :)

Spinner

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
What does one do about return ferry bookings, When not knowing a firm date for return ?
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We just book a single out and then 4 or 5 days before the planned return date we book then. So much more easier these days with the internet

:)

Votes
Undo
We did a similar trip back in 2008 when we had the folding camper. You may like to have a look at our blog. We went up through Denmark and took the ferry from Hirtshals. Laerdal tunnel is a must do, if possible.
https://travelmoores.blogspot.co.uk/

Here are the photos we took along the way
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FogwMsI5dyDhT0Uj2

Hope this helps. We would love to do the trip again now that we have a motorhome as it gives so much more flexibility.

Sue & Brian

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
On the North Sea Ferries booking page there is a long stay option (return within twelve months) But you have to state the return date,
So that looks like I will have to book nearer the time of return (when I think I know it)
I would have liked to have had it all sorted before and paid for, Spinner
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We did a similar trip back in 2008 when we had the folding camper. You may like to have a look at our blog. We went up through Denmark and took the ferry from Hirtshals. Laerdal tunnel is a must do, if possible.
https://travelmoores.blogspot.co.uk/

Here are the photos we took along the way
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FogwMsI5dyDhT0Uj2

Hope this helps. We would love to do the trip again now that we have a motorhome as it gives so much more flexibility.

Thanks for this the Travelmoores,
I shall be travelling into Denmark from Germany (Puttgarden/Robyhavn) staying a couple of days Copenhagen, then into Sweden to Norway,
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Follow me on my travels to The Lofoten and Vesterhalen Isles , https://www.polarsteps.com/BriSpence
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Please Follow me on my travels from Hull King George dock P&O ferries
To Holland/Germany/Denmark/SwedenNorway to the Lofoten and Vesterhalen Isles
from the 1st May 2018 till whenever I return

https://www.polarsteps.com/BriSpence
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Progressed to having the ferry booked, P&O Hull - Rotterdam, depart 20:30 on Tuesday the 1st of May,

Follow me and my travels on Polarsteps
https://www.polarsteps.com/BriSpence
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection