Tuesday, 20 March 2018
  17 Replies
  5.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi,

I'm new to this web site. I do not have a motor home yet but looking to purchase one early next year. I like to learn as much as possible and what better way to learn than a web site like this.

I have spent all my years driving artics, busses and coaches, 39 years in all. I was medically retired in 2015 after an accident at work. I fill my time now as a photographer and kept busy. I do teach a bit of photography too.
Rate this post:
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
. I do teach a bit of photography too.

You will get on with our eastridingbri70 and Spinner ... they are very good at photographing their travels and Bri does wildlife as well ... I try but the pictures never come out as I can see them in my minds eye ...

Have you any style or make of motorhome you like? there are a wide range on here ... from Tom1 who takes his children to people like me who take their dog or solo motorhomers that do it on their own :D

Kathy and Max dog

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment to animals.”

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi patgale.

I would leave my kids at home if I could! :p

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi,

I am looking at either the Swift Kontiki 679 black edition with the tag axle or a German tag axle motorhome. I will need a large garage that can accommodate my mobility scooter which is fairly heavy which makes a 3.5T motorhome too small weight wise.

My wife and I have travelled far and wide, we even lived in New Zealand for 5 years but the crap I get at airports, I cannot cope with anymore. My last long haul holiday was in 2014 We travelled to Sri Lanka, on our return at one of the Middle Eastern airports I was bundled into a security room, they didn't like the full leg brace I was wearing, they cut it from my leg, took it away for an x-ray, came back and threw it at me. I could no longer use it as it was damaged. At the UK airports, I always set off the alarms because of the metal work inside my knee, again, I always get treated with suspicion. Since then, we tried the Rhine River Cruise and loved it. Later this year we are doing a Baltic cruise for two weeks.

The reason for looking to purchase a motorhome is the freedom to go where you want, when you want. My wife has not seen this country, Scotland and Ireland so I want to show her how beautiful the British Isles are. We are lucky as we live in a village outside Dover to getting to Europe is easy. What I have found since looking at motorhome forums is the people are very friendly.

Pat
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Pat

Visit as many motorhome shows as you can. Sit in the vans and think about how you might use it. Summer / winter long stays away. If you go for a larger van will you be able to easily park in town with close access to shops or would you use the bus or tow a car? Plenty to think about and keep asking questions.

Scotland and Ireland are special

Spinner:D

:D

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I second that, look around at lots of motorhomes and don't necessarily rush to but one for the sake of it.

Maybe even consider buying a motorhome with the idea of only keeping it short term, to make sure you like it 100%, often you don't realise certain things until you are actually doing them.
Then maybe after a year buy the 'forever motorhome'
That year will give you a much clearer idea of what works for you.

When I bought mine 5 years ago, it was nothing like we wanted, wrong layout etc, but it the best purchase I ever made!

As you say the best thing about a motorhome is the freedom it gives and when you get used to doing what is often called 'wild' parking or camping, using laybys for example to overnight in, the whole country opens up with no planning, booking or hassle.
You just go and do it!

Tom

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Spinner. I'm going to spend this year picking up as much info as possible. I don't want to rush it as it's a lot of money to fork out. I guess the more I look, the more I will find out. Do you know where the motorhome shows are and when?

Pat
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Tom. I will take my time. The first thing I am looking at when I see a motorhome is how big the garage is and how low the garage floor is, in my head I'm thinking, can I get my mobility scooter in, I will also look to see if there is a plug socket so I can charge my mobility scooter in the garage. My Son in Law is a welder and he will make two ramps for me. My scooter does break down into 5 pieces. When we lived in New Zealand, we were surprised at how many vehicles were converted into motorhomes, we often said it would be good to travel like that, we never did get into motorhomes there but bought a boat and often slept over night on it and had so much fun. Like I wrote above, I always had a nightmare with security at airports, owning a motorhome will give us the freedom. Another thing we would use the motorhome for is my wife's craft fares, many craft fares are in a fields, we have seen other vendors there with their motorhome behind their stall where they can cook, use the toilet and keep warm too.

Pat
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have also seen mobilty scooters on racks outside fitted to a towbar, i know inside is better but with a good cover, outside might work too.
But with newer motorhomes make sure they are approved for a towbar before buying.
Some are not even allowed a towbar!

My wife likes her craft fares too but I try to avoid them where possible.

I can't really comment on airports I have only flown a couple of times and the furthest I have been is Majorca! :o

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Tom. I don't want to tow anything after years of driving artics and want to store my scooter indoors. If you are on facebook, search for Hand Made by 'US' You will see my wife and daughters bead trees etc. May go to Rye soon and have a look at motorhomes at some time.

Pat
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yes but you never know what the future will bring so personally I would never buy a motorhome that couldn't have a towbar.
Just in case!

But then I tow a boat and have made a rack to fit my towball for my kayak, so for me a towbar is vital.

I will look later.

Tom

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Have a look at Frankia motorhomes Pat as most of these have a rear garage door as well as side ones.

:D

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Spinner.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hello Pat,I retired 5 years ago having driven class 1 on international work for 44 years,couldn't get life on the road out of my system,so bought a motorhome, I'm on my 3rd van now so the advise from others about looking around as many dealers at as many layouts and models is good.I bought a 66 plate van last year with 700 miles on the clock,someone bought new and didn't like it,you can imagine how much money he lost on it!Having said I've changed and added things to it so it suits my needs,but I'm sure if you do a tour of dealers and show you will find something that meets your needs,and all motorhome of got the big advantage of NO tacho!good luck with your search and future travels.Paul
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Paul,

I know what you mean, it's hard when you give up the driving, been in my blood for years too. I'm 60 and medically retired so a few years left in me. My wife has not seen much of the UK so when we do buy a motorhome we'll keep to the UK first despite Calais been just 37 miles from us. It's going to be fun.

Pat
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Patgale

add my input into the very interesting and excellent advices above.

My wife and I are avid travellers and spent many years in planes, trains and cars travelling around the world. Like you, got fed up with hassle at airports, trying to find hotels and, when there, "stck" in one place for better or worse. in addition, I being English and my wife french and spent our married life living in UK and France, we realised that we had hardly seen any of either country or much else of continetal Europe. two years ago, after 3 years of extensive research, we bouoght a mobile home and have not loked back since.

Freedom to go where you xant, when you want and with your own home on wheels with you is fantastic.

before we purchase our camper van 2 years ago, we spent 3 years researching on internet, looking at forums (and finally joining this one which is the only one we found that is good), spending days eaxh at many exhibitions, visiting dozens of dealerships in France and Belgium, hiring one for a week AND knocking on doors of parked camper vans and spending hours discussing their experinces etc. like the internet, information overload and much that conflicted. we also spent many an evening over a bottle of wine listing and then re-listing our must/nice to/must not haves. once you get to that agreed list, then go back to dealerships/exhibitions and try and find a model that fits as close as possible.

an additiopnal consideration is that, at hte exhibitipons, the dealers offer special deals including packs added free of charge. we got tv, sattelite, solar panel,second battery and a lot more included in our model free of charge. also negotiate other extras; they need to sell the stock!

as we are retired, we had the time to do all of the above and it was much more fun than it sounds. net result is that the camper van was 90% exactly what we wanted. we did over 20,000 kms in first 11 months and then it was victim of homejacking!

OK, 3 months later adter insurance settled, went out and bought second one that is 95% exactly what we wanted and, to date, done over 20,000kms!

compared to decades of tradtional travelling, thos 40,000kms represent some of te best, varied, interesting holidays we have ever had. freedom to go slowly, be diverted to see sights off the beaten track, meet a mcyh broader range of people and also belonging to a camping car fraternity; paerk next door to each other or just pass in street and always open and friendly.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi,

Very interesting to read of your experiences. I guess after years of travelling over seas, queuing at airports, having two weeks in the sun you get to the stage where you want a slower life and take to the road with all your motorhome. All the security threats these days puts many of us off using airports. My wife and I are doing a two week Baltic cruise in September a first for us, we've tried many holidays. My wife has not seen much of the UK, I was lucky, at 21 I was a coach driver and was paid to see all the sights. After we have done the cruise, we'll seriously start looking to purchase a motorhome. I agree with you, this group is very good and friendly. I'm not experienced with the motorhome thing but looking on here there's so much good advise from experienced motorhomers and they help the first timers. When I lived in New Zealand, I wanted to buy a boat, I lived close to Picton (Top of the South Island) I first completed a skippers course then a VHF course. I then spent many weekends at the boat ramp watching boaters launch their boats, some were very good, some were bad ie:- 4x4, trailer and boat submerged, expensive. When I did buy a boat, it was daunting but wanted to explore the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. We loved it, we slept on the boat and had so much fun. We will do the same when we purchase our motorhome, we will take our time. I will not be embarrassed to ask any questions in this group, we know we will get the best advise.

Pat
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi and welcome.
When you have a vehicle in mind if you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection