Friday, 18 May 2018
  18 Replies
  6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
I found out by chance that an emissions compliance certificate is required for diesels in France - a few Euros. I am trying to find out what other countries have similar rules. Germany seems to have a system but I cannot tell if it is a scam or not - they want 17 Euros for the same thing!
I am planning on going over in June and not returning until September, covering France, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Switzerland and Italy.
It seems to be impossible to find a centralised site with any coherent information on it.
If anyone knows of one, or has knowledge of the requirements in any of those countries, please let me know.

Cheers
Rate this post:
Votes
Undo
Hi Nick, the French sticker, Crit'Air is only required for entry to very few cities ie Paris so you don't necessarily need one. If you do the official info is here https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/certificats-qualite-lair-critair

I don't have the German disc details at hand but its a similar situation and only costs a few Euros.

Hopefully someone will be along with more info.

I'm not aware of discs required in the other countries.

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The French emission zones can be set up when and wherever it is felt necessary. You could be caught out driving through Lyons or Marseille if the pollution level has risen.
A lot of the sites I found were 2012/2014.
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I found the German emissions sticker very easy to obtain,I got mine through the Berlin Traffic dept on line for €6,the French,critair application is a whole different story,I gave up trying to downsize the upload of my Reg.document to the requirements of the site.Not sure if emissions sticker issued by one eu member country will be accepted in others,I've seen plenty German one in vehicles but few critair,did you manage to get one for your vehicle,Neil,I've heard you can get them direct from main vehicle dealers in France?
Votes
Undo
....did you manage to get one for your vehicle,Neil,I've heard you can get them direct from main vehicle dealers in France?

No, have yet to travel anywhere that one is required....

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
How would one know you are in an area where you might need one?

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/userhome/access-regulations-route-planner

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

It took me hours but I came across this site. It is potentially a minefield out there as even some stretches of autoroute require a sticker in some countries :-(

I am still trying to sort it out!
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
France: all vehicles require a Crit Air sticker, see our French pages. The Mont Blanc Tunnel is controlled manually at the toll point, Euro standard is estimated by proof of the age of the vehicle.

There is a draft national low emission zone framework in Belgium and a flemish LEZ framework.

Antwerp has implemented a low emission zone in 2017, Brussels will do so in February 2018 and Gent in January 2020.

Gent also has an Access Regulation.

I think that a lot of sites have not been updated recently.
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks.
Good job I don't usually use motorways, toll roads or go to cities when I'm in Europe and looking at the map that most of France is free from the restrictions with only 3 places implementing the stickers.

But my camper isn't London LEZ compliant, so it wouldn't be anywhere else I guess.

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I found the German emissions sticker very easy to obtain,I got mine through the Berlin Traffic dept on line for €6,the French,critair application is a whole different story,I gave up trying to downsize the upload of my Reg.document to the requirements of the site.Not sure if emissions sticker issued by one eu member country will be accepted in others,I've seen plenty German one in vehicles but few critair,did you manage to get one for your vehicle,Neil,I've heard you can get them direct from main vehicle dealers in France?

Do you happen to have a link for the Berlin Traffic site, please?

Cheers
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry nickd,I obtained my German emissions more than 12 months ago and can't find the link now,but if you google it I'm sure that it can still be found,as said by others emission zones are mainly in city centres and unless you are planning to drive into major centres,you shouldn't need to worry too much about sticker.I find it easier and less stressful to find park and ride and use that for most cities when I'm traveling in Europe.When these zones were first proposed in France and Germany last year,a lot of websites sprung up offering to supply stickers at vastly inflated prices,compared to obtaining the direct from national traffic authorities,even if you don't speak the language,many government sites in European countries have a translated option,and I find them easier and more efficient to deal with than uk gov.sites.usually new traffic laws in Europe are hyped up by many websites "to make a buck" French requirement for breathalysers a good example of this,we were told every motorist should carry one,but 4 years on still not a requirement in French law,just a recommendation
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index_engl.html

80 towns and cities now require the sticker in Germany. I have just applied for mine on line at: https://www.berlin.de/senuvk/umwelt/luftqualitaet/umweltzone/en/fahrzeug_plakette.shtml#fp3
Cost 6 Euros.

It seems to be spreading...

Thanks Eurosprinter
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That's the one,Nick,got mine through the post in abaout a week.I speak German,but the site also has English option,I even got an email from them asking for another scan of my V5,typical German efficiently!I'm over in France soon so I will ask in fiat dealership if they can supply crit-air tags and keep you posted.My vehicle is euro 6 engine,so shouldn't be a problem for a few years as most cities are trying to keep older deisol engines out of centres,but I fear we will soon have a windscreen full of stickers and toll tags,I already have 3toll tags and 1 emissions sticker,any more and I won't be able to see the road !
Votes
Undo
I fear we will soon have a windscreen full of stickers and toll tags,I already have 3toll tags and 1 emissions sticker,any more and I won't be able to see the road !

What, no CM disc eurosprinter? ;)

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Oops sorry Neil,I'll go strait to naughty step.ok for you Aclass owners,with your panoramic windscreens,us lower mortals have to make do with bog standard Ducato screen.when I'm near a printer next,I'll try and print one off,the squeeze it in between the dash-cam,satnav tolltags and e.stickers
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The correct term is library bus, not A class :p

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've often been tempted to buy one,Tom,based on DAF or ford chassis,trouble is I would have full time in it as my wife would divorce me the minute it arrived,they have a great spec for building a really good m.home
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
EUROSPRINTER
If you are having trouble uploading your reg document on the Crit' Air application form there is a free program available to download on line it is called PIXresizer
it is fairly easy to use & you have a choice of sizes to select from 75% 50% 33% 25% this is what I used I first scanned the reg document as a JPEG file and then loaded it into the PIXresizer selected 33% then clicked on save picture Job done ! The picture I have attached of the classes of permits available started out as 874 KB after resizing it is now 160 KB.
If you do get a Crit' Air sticker be very careful where & how you fix it to your windscreen it has to be on the lower RHS of the screen as viewed from the inside of the van (drivers side on a RH drive vehicle) placed anywhere else and you will be fined for "not having one" also take care fitting it as when you offer it up to the screen it is very very sticky and if you try to remove & refit it part of the sticker will stay on the screen with the word VOID on it and you will have to apply and pay for another one.

The Low Emission Zones appear to be breeding, and can change on almost a daily basis, the advise is to download an app for a smart phone and check on a daily basis the air pollution level of the area you are intending going to
Crit Air001 (842 x 1158).jpg
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for that,as I say I gave up last time and got German one,that program will save me trawling around Fiat dealers when I'm in France next month,I'm away at present but will give it a try when I return.thanks Paul
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection