Sunday, 25 November 2018
  3 Replies
  3.8K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We have been on Sardinia over 7 weeks now, so I thought I would share some thoughts and feelings, pros and cons ......
Pros ...
Incredible beaches, colour and clarity of sea, still warm enough to swim (ok, for a part Labrador Brighton Belle , around 20 degrees in oct down to 18 now)
Great walks
Quite good for birds and wildlife
Empty roads
Easy to find somewhere to park up for the night, even right on the beach
The Sardinians are LOVELY

The cons ....
The roads are full of potholes, even the major roads
Most access to the beaches is rough tracks and some are badly rutted
Narrow roads and crazy Sardinian drivers that straddle the middle line (but no aggression there and they are very forgiving of jolly foreigner being too hesitant or getting it wrong)
Most campsites and Sostas (Aires) are shut in November so a bit of planning needed
Availability of supermarkets not great
Eating out a bit disappointing and expensive
We miss the tapas and the endless eating and drinking options of Spain......
Photos to follow .....

« Vive La France, le paradis du camping-car! »

Rate this post:
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the report.
I have never been that far down, one day......

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Glad you're enjoying the island,the "season" ends in early September,with many hotels,shops,bars and cafes close and things go back to normal for the locals.There are many pros and cons to this,unemployent rises dramatically,several members in our family have to start queing in the early hours to 'sign on' but many of the beautiful places we like to visit are accessable again,I raely visit in the summer due to the crowds but love the peace and traquility of the Autumn and Spring when I can bike or hike without seeing a soul.Supermarkets in the north are mostly for tourists and most people head for the malls around Oristano for shopping.Roads are like many in Italy badly kept and inhabited by lunitics! the Italian drivers treat every bend as a challenge,road signs as an inconvience and most other road users as invisable all without malice!When I'm over there I try never to let any of my family drive me even to the bar in the evenings!
5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Eurosprinter, lucky you having family here! We have found th Sardinians the most welcoming of anywhere we have been in Europe. We would love a recommendation for a restaurant, from a local ..... too late for the mountains of the centre now as we have just arrived in the south, but if your family can recommend somewhere in Cagliari that has local cuisine and doesn’t cater to tourists (not crazy prices) we will be well chuffed. It would be nice to have at least one memorable food experience before we leave Sardinia! Any help greatly appreciated :)

« Vive La France, le paradis du camping-car! »

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection