By Grouty on Tuesday, 26 June 2012
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 2.2K
Votes 0
Morning All.
Can anyone give me any advice/info about breakdown cover abroad please.
I've just called the AA for a quote as a current member and cant believe
the cost. Am I being naive or does 70 odd quid for a 10 day cover seem a
little extreme. Any suggestions please or am I just out of touch?
Thanks.
Hi Grouty,

That does sound quite expensive for 10 days, I think we pay that for RAC European Cover which is for 365 days as an addon to our insurance through Comfort/Aviva.

I think that's about what it costs with ADAC for a year too, although I know one of our members has had a bad experience with them.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Grouty,

I think that's about what it costs with ADAC for a year too, although I know one of our members has had a bad experience with them.

That'll be Rita and I Neil.

Unfortunately, the matter is still not resolved, even though the breakdown happened on 12th April. ADAC have at last admitted (verbally) that the French ADAC agent gave the French Depannage (recovery) agent, the wrong information re the dimensions of our MH. However, it is looking extremely unlikely that they'll refund the full €500 that we had to shell out for recovery. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Grouty, try Britannia Rescue through the CSMA, if a current or previous occupation qualifies. It is 12 months cover including EU, and up to 7.5 tonnes for MHs.

Good luck,

Jock & Rita.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I know Jock and Rita had poor service from both the French recovery and the German HQ earlier in the year on-route to Denia It seems like ADAC have dragged their feet in refunding the full recovery cost.

Our son and his family are ADAC members and whilst they were over in the UK on holiday they were unfortunate to have a rear tyre puncture on the M5 motorway.His car carries no spare but does have run flat tyres. He limped along for a while as instructed by the onboard computer but when he stopped and looked the tyre was shredding. No fun with three young ones in the rear seats.
ADAC recorded all the details, informed the AA who attended with a low loader and recovered him to a nearby tyre centre. He did of course pay for a new tyre but unlike France no payment for the AA was asked for. He was well pleased with the AA Ist class service.
like us an ADAC plus member which costs 79.50 euro which covers myself and the wife for any vehicle we are driving. Works out about £62.00
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
AA is included with safeguard insurance all over europe as long as you want
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
AA is included with safeguard insurance all over europe as long as you want

Surely Safeguard must use partners in France to handle their breakdowns and recovery, so that puts you back in the same pot with the other recovery/Insurance groups and you run the same risks as Jock and Rita?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We have safeguard insurance for our motorhome and though never had to use it in France or Spain, we did however need it in Eire when our vehicle battery gave up the ghost. The call out and service was briliant.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I have just taken out annual breakdown cover for the whole of Europe for my van for £89.04 with Green Flag ( direct not via Caravan Club). Called EuroPlus. Now believe it or not it INCLUDES our Peugeot 207 for Recovery Plus!

They are ( were?) offering one third discount on their top level covers.

I used to be an Insurance Claims Manager and I can see no catch other than they hope you' ll stay with them next year....but I'll worry about that in 12 months time

Arthur
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post