By bmh1946 on Friday, 31 August 2012
Posted in Beginners
Replies 11
Likes 0
Views 3.9K
Votes 0
Hello to anybody. I am new to this and to my vw lwb t5 camper. So have started off my asking for help. Can you advise me on a good drive away awning to buy? Our requirements being that it is suitable for 2 persons only and would be relatively easy to assemble and suitable for all the uses that you experienced people will know about and , hopefully, tell me about.
Thanks very much in anticipation
Hi there - have you been to any of the Motorhome shows where they have an assortment of driveaways. What suits one won't suit another.

Also outdoor leisure shops have a vast array of these ie towsure, riversway leisure but sometimes a walk around a local campsite can help. Someone has usually got just what you are looking for.

Hopes this helps

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks. I am planning to visit a show, but any tips on which type is useful or what material it is made of would be welcome, Regards
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I thought you might say that. We have an Omnistor awning & use the wind blockers but I like the look of the driveaways & the fact you can use it to store all the chairs/bikes/kitchen stuff. I'm a believer in that you get what you pay for. Sorry cant recommend any makes or models but hope someone can.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi there I have just purchased a movelite xl drive away awning by outdoor revolution. I am hoping it will be easy to erect but time will tell ha ha. They make it sound easy. Its light weight and just two flexible poles a fitted ground sheet and different options on how to fix to van so after next week i will be able to let you know. They do several different models depending on your van size of course. Good luck there so many out there to choose from.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:huh: Thanks for your comments, coincidentally I have been looking at the midi from the same range. I will let you know how I get on. Regards Brian
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi. After quite a bit of driving around and looking at various options, we have bought the Outdoor Revolution Carbon Pro Midi. It arrived this morning and we put it up on a breezy day in the garden. So far so good, it took about 30 minutes, which was not too bad for a first attempt by us both, but, I would not like to do it on my own. We hope to practice a few times in the garden so that we do not look complete pillocks on our first outing with it. It seems well made with a flexible frame but only time will tell how it works out. Regards Brian
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Brian like you I also was glad of some help in erecting the awning and also dismantling it. But on the plus side I think I may just be able to erect it on my own now that I have had an opportunity to sort out positioning and some sort of sequence . I did find tho that getting the poles out when dismantling it was not as easy as I expected. They seemed rather prone to coming apart when i didnt want them to so mabe I did not get that quite right but it was quite windy. I tried two ways of attaching to the van and to be honest neither was totally successful. When using the fiammma as the awning rail it made it creak quite a bit so I decided to use the three straps to thro over the top and peg down on the other side but they also were noisy in the wind but I was told by some one afterwards that twisting them would prob stop that. Regards Hilary
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Hilary, Progressing much along the same lines as you. I tried on a day that suddenly became windy and am now quite an expert at kite flying,and a large one at that. However,I will persevere. I have been told that the method of putting the tapes over the van can lead to chaffing of the paintwork so that may be something to look out for.A number of other people that I has spoken to never seem to attach the awnings to their vans anyway and leave them freestanding all the time, but that seems a waste of an awning as a tent would do that job.I will try fitting the Fiamma adapter and report back. Best wishes. Brian
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Brian Glad you got awning sorted one tip I can give get plenty of practice as you can bet that should you arrive on a windy camp site the "curtain twitchers" will be watching you !!enjoy your travels ttfn jr
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello , I,ve got two VW,s a T25 and a T4 coachbuilt ,most of the VW owners opt for one of these good choice of sizes and prices and if unsure of anything you can ring them for advice -
http://www.khyam.co.uk/products.asp?s=Campervan%20/%20Motorhome%20Awnings
Ignore this sorry but i,m too late .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
No problem hawkeye, useful link that may be of help to others :thumbs: .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post