By Hclrkhrry@aol.com on Monday, 22 October 2012
Posted in Beginners
Replies 17
Likes 0
Views 3.2K
Votes 0
One year motorhoming and blown up my engine on my new Toyota IQ. Also my Omistor awning destroyed as a gust of wind blew it over the top of the motorhome.

Never mind I still love motorhoming and you live and learn

I am a new member and an ex caravanner, but I prefer motorhoming

I own a 2011 Autotrail Cheiftain, I would love to hear from other Cheiftain owners on any interesting topics relating to this model

Harry Clarke
Well Harry, :welcome1:

Great that you still love motorhoming after that start!

So long as you learn from your experience . I'm sure you'll be able to offer lots of advice to other newcomers B)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

You certainly learn by experience, love to tell these problems I have had to other motorhomers, it appears we all have our moments from time to time, sometimes there is such a lot to remember when leaving on a touring trip such as removing the wheel clamp etc etc

I won't go into that at the moment

H
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

You certainly learn by experience, love to tell these problems I have had to other motorhomers, it appears we all have our moments from time to time, sometimes there is such a lot to remember when leaving on a touring trip such as removing the wheel clamp etc etc

I won't go into that at the moment

H

Hi Harry,we all have those moments,luckily i did a dummy run this year,a long weekend with the kids/grandchildren,forgot the remote for the tv.Didn,t matter as we watched the olympics using controls on the set itself.I made a checklist,surprising how long its getting:
1. FUEL
2. FRESH WATER CONTAINER CLEANED AND TOPPED UP
3. GAS BOTTLES FILLED AND CHECKED
4. PASSPORTS
5. FERRY REF NUMBER AND TIMES
6. MOTORHOME paperwork
7. EUROS
8. KETTLE PANS DISHES CUPS PLATES
9. BOTTLE OPENER
10. CAN OPENER
11. WASHING UP LIQUID
12. CHEMICAL TOILET FLUID
13. ELECTRIC CABLES CHECKED AND PACKED
14. WATER HOSE CHECKED AND PACKED
15. RADIO CHECKED
16. TV AND REMOTE
17. SAT SYSTEM AND REMOTE
18. MAST FOR TV AERIAL
19. LARGE SATELLITE DISH+LNB+CABLES+TRIPOD
20. OIL WATER AND FILTERS CHECKED
21. SPARE BULB/FUSE KIT
22. SPARE FUEL FILTER
23. REFLECTIVE JACKETS
24. GENERAL CONDITION OF WHEELS /TYRES/BRAKES
25. SAT-NAV WITH AIRES ADDED AS FAVOURITES
26. SPARE SAT-NAV
27. LARGE SCALE ATLAS OF FRANCE
28. LAPTOP
29. CYCLONE MEDIA PLAYER FOR FILMS
30. TABLES CHAIRS
31. B-B-Q
32. SECURITY LOCKS CHECKED
33. SOLAR PANEL CHARGING?
34. SUNGLASSES
35. READING GLASSES
36. FOOD & DRINKS
37. Folding trolly
BTW.
:welcome4:
Pete & Jan
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi mid4did,

Good list and I can see it growing!

You could add chargers for all gadgets - we forgot ours once and it was a pain. Bought a multi thing from a Chinese Bazaar which coped with most things though
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Oh and warning triangle(s) :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Very good list but we also carry

A saw
Long handled loppers

(We once got stuck between some trees & didn't have either - now that's another story.

Plus
Pet passport
Sufficient dog food - he's very particular (the dog)
Poo bags (the dog)
Advantix for duration of trip

Will no doubt think of other things - just have

Citronella candles

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Pete

Your list is as long as mine

A lot of the items I have purchased I have designated to the motorhome, in other words they never leave the motorhome, this way I have been able to remove them from the list

The main list is for the longer holidays, I have a shorter list for the 2/3 day trips

If we did not make a list then every time we went away we would have forgotten something

I think having a list like yours is good common sense and good planning

Kindest regards

H
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Chris

One of the things on my list is windbreaks and a small gate

I got the idea from someone on a trip to Cornwall, I put the windbreaks around the habitat door side of the motorhome like a small garden fence and in the line of windbreak I install a small gate on a fence post that knocks into the ground.

This allows my two little dogs to go out of the motorhome into the so called garden without being on a lead. I have affixed an awning rail across the bottom of the motorhome so that I can thread an apron/skirt across so that the dogs cannot escape under the motorhome

I suppose I am a sad case, but a happy sad case. When I was younger I used to think I was hard and tough, i was a bouncer and a rugby player, but now I have mellowed as I have got older, for the better I might add, and now iI would not hurt a fly, I am soft as putty

Kindest regards

H
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi H - that sounds like a very good idea indeed. We've got an awning skirt & a couple of windbreaks which we never seem to use - good idea about a little gate. We could tire our dog out throwing the ball out for him as not much room inside.

No dog lover could be called 'a sad case'. It amazes me how inventive some owners are. :thumbs:

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Chris

This is a pic of the windbreaks and gate I mentioned

Regards H
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Chris

Not sure how to attach the picture I promised, can anyone help

H
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
its in attachnemts add file,,Have to make that list bigger now,but i do keep 2 triangles permanently,no where else to put em,also citronella,Aldi,s get some nice large ones now and then. :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Harry,

Short tutorial on how to post a picture here - http://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk/forum/26-tutorials/360-how-to-post-a-photo-in-the-forums.html

Hope this helps :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Easiest for me is to write post then click in attachments box
It will ask 'take photo or video' or ' choose existing.'

Click on choose existing photo - select photo then add file then submit.

If this doesn't work get back to me & I will- just seen Neil has put link in how to do it - wish I was that quick.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
necessity is the mother of invention :-),perhaps you cold patent that idea.?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Good picture - have shown it to 'him to likes to drive and do nothing else' - will have a search for a lightweight gate. Any suggestions - much appreciated.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You could add
* Up to date EHIC
* Travel insurance docs (health - yours and MH's!)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post