By hintonbelle on Monday, 05 August 2013
Posted in Pets
Replies 6
Likes 0
Views 4.9K
Votes 0
Hi, I am very new to campervanning, having only just managed to persuade my husband to give it a go. I think he's hooked but the next challenge is taking our dog with us. We have a converted VW transporter and a drive-away awning. He (the dog) is a very strong-minded border terrier who usually sleeps in the kitchen. Any advice about how to prepare for taking him with us to campsites without becoming a nightmare for other folk would be really welcome. Thanks.
Sounds a bit like you need a dog training forum for the answer to your problems. Every dog is different and what works for one may not work for you. As you say a strong minded breed, but as our dog trainer used to say it is the owners he needed to train, the dogs are the easy bit. :roll: :roll:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I think you may just have to try it and see, it will be a new environment for all of you.

Our dog sleeps on the landing at home but has adapted to sleeping under the table in the motorhome very well. We keep him on a long (5mtr) lead when outside and this seems to work well.

He is a very sociable dog though.

TravelsRus has a border terrier so hopefully she'll be along to give you some tips
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for the encouragement. Trying somewhere small may have to be our next move, but it's good to be reassured that there isn't something obvious we're missing. Our's is very sociable too and I have been worrying that that might be a problem.
Karin
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I'm sure you will be fine. We are touring with our manic springers, currently in Austria and they manage just fine. Lindiwe likes to go under the table but for bedtime they both jump in our beds!!
Spoilt rotten of course.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi & :welcome3: - I'm no dog expert but Archie our Border Terrier will sleep anywhere in the motorhome & is a brilliant traveller. He settles down as soon as we set off & doesn't stir til 'we land' but he can be a terror with other dogs so we keep him on a short lead & to be honest he's got better with time & is getting used to the camping environment.

Chris
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thank you. I can see I am just going to have to go for it, and work towards the time when he's settled. I'll let you know how we get on!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post