Saturday, 21 September 2013
  6 Replies
  2.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi Folks,

My wife and I are keen campers but we're looking to upgrade to a motorhome for European adventure lasting about a year.

We've started doing some research into the type of 'van we'd like and have identified a few "essentials" however we don't really know much about motorhomes!

One area we're struggling with is quality!

Is there a hierarchy of manufacturers / brands eg who are the Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, Ford, Lada etc etc?

We've been told that different manufacturers use the same component suppliers is this correct and if so but do these suppliers supply different grades of components?

Do you always get what you pay for eg if considering 2 motorhomes with similar condition, mileages, configurations (berths) but with a price differential of 10% (£3000) will the more expensive one be better quality? (Now I've re-read this I get the feeling it's an incredibly stupid question)

Thanks

Henry
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks to everyone who has replied, maybe I should have given a bit more detail in my original post.....

We are looking to buy early next year (January) with the intention of frequent weekend and a couple of week / fortnight long trips in the UK to iron out any wrinkles and get familiar with the 'van then in autumn 2014 travel round Europe for about a year.

Intention is to have a relaxing holiday, improve our language skills, meet people & learn more about the culture of the various areas we visit.

Based on the way we live when we camp We think we'll probably settle in an area (based in a small town (15-20k population)) for 7-14 days and travel around by push bike or public transport, with the occasional stay in or near a city or remote (isolated) location for 1-3 days.

So far....
We NEED 1 double bed but because we DEFINITELY don't want to make the bed every night we've being looking at 4 & 6 berths
afull size shower,
a reasonable sized lounge,
decent storage is obviously a pre-requisite so a rear bed with a garage underneath sound ideal but....we don't want to be looking at the bed all day if the weather is wet and we can't get out.

We've seen a Autosleeper Wilton which has nearly everything we want (we think we're agile enough to use the over cab bed and the romantic in me particularly liked the U lounge with 3 big windows - I immediately had a vision of being parked in NW Scotland surrounded by panoramic views of hills and lochs) and is in the right (£30k ish) price range but it only has 2 travelling seats. I'm concerned that this will affect re-sale value and limit the market if we want to sell it. We have 2 grandchildren so it would also prevent us taking them away in the 'van.

Finally we live in Aberdeen (Scotland) so purchase / viewing options are a bit limited.

Europe = France, Spain, Portugal, Andorra (for cheap diesel :) ) Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Belgium & The Netherlands possibly some of the mid European countries too.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection