By Guest on Tuesday, 24 September 2013
Posted in Beginners
Replies 6
Likes 0
Views 2.3K
Votes 0
Hi, Not got my motorhome yet but confused already!
Where I plan to store my motorhome tells me that I must disconnect my battery when in storage, so how does my alarm and tracker work? Or does he just mean my leisure battery.If so do I have to undo the connections each time I return it or can a switch be fitted to isolate it. Should I remove the leisure battery to my home for trickle charging over winter?
Enough for now I think, I look forward to your answers and suggestions.
Hi reggie and :welcome2:

I don't use such a storage facility so can't tell you for sure whether its standard practice but I would ask them why you have to disconnect in view of your alarm and tracker concerns.

You can get isolator switches that fit to the negative terminals that just turn them off instead of physically undoing the terminals.

Hopefully someone familiar with storage facilities will be along with some suggestions for you .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Never heard of that before about the battery...
I would check with your insurance first just to make sure no issues... Guess that without a battery connected it will be harder for anyone to take..HOWEVER, Thats going to be a real pain to keep doing depending on the make and model of the van..
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks to you both, I am going to see the storage people next week and get some clarification and then talk to my insurance company as well.
Thanks again, will update once I know more.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
difficult one to answer as so many factors come into it , If you disconnect your vehicle battery your alarm and any ancillaries will be off but how long are you planning on leaving it for without use , how good is the security of the storage yard ?
I have had vans in storage and on my drive (latter is easier all round ) main battery if left without charging but running security system will last about 2 months usually ,leisure battery depends on amperage rating but around same , when mine is left it is topped up by solar panel but again depends if its kept indoors ( with no sun/no charge) when on drive I usually check the charge once a month with a voltmeter .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
To answer your question about isolator switches; if you do decide on disconnecting the batter(y(ies) there are isolator switches which can be fitted to the battery to make electrical disconnection simple and easy
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sorry for the long delay in responding but happy to say problem is resolved.
For many reasons but battery disconnection being one of them I changed storage places and can now leave batteries connected, which is a great.
Thanks for all the responses.
Going to look into solar panel charging in due course but for now if unused for three weeks we take it for a good hours run at least just to top everything back up and to give the engine etc a warm up.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post