By Carol Naylor on Thursday, 26 September 2013
Posted in Beginners
Replies 12
Likes 0
Views 1.8K
Votes 0
Can anyone who tows a Smart car let us have their advice please. Having just returned from Spain with our little dog and discovering we cannot take him onto buses we are thinking of buying a Smart car and towing for future trips. A little worried though as our motorhome is 7 metres long already and is it difficult on some roads in Europe?
Hello and :welcome1: Carol.Not sure if your email as a username is intentional but usually we have a forum name on here,Sorry I don,t have a dog,we got too upset when ours passed away after 15 years don,t want too go down that road again.I don,t tow either but have as an ex hgv driver.I,m sure those that do tow and have dogs will offer advice soon.Good luck , Pete
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi, no it was not intentional to use my email address and I have asked for it to be changed. Thank you.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
.....A little worried though as our motorhome is 7 metres long already and is it difficult on some roads in Europe?

Hi Carol and :welcome2:

Our own motorhome is six and a half metres and we've towed a motorcycle on a trailer through Spain with no issues. We now a-frame a Suzuki Jimny and don't expect any size (length) related problems.

The vehicle being towed (either on a trailer or a-frame) is normally narrower than the motorhome so will basically go through anywhere the motorhome will . Any manouevering issues can be overcome by uncoupling if necessary (with and a-frame anyway)

Were there any specific conditions that you were referring to?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Just a few points which may seem common sense to some but leaves us a bit confused.

Firstly, do we have to use the motorhome reg plate on the towed car?

When towing, do the brake lights have to work from the motorhome?

Would the motorhome insurance have to be increased to cover the car?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Carol,

It sounds as though you are planning to tow with an a-frame rather than a trailer?

In which case there is much to learn

Firstly, statement as issued by the Department of Transport

When an “A” frame is attached to a vehicle (e.g. a motor car) and towed by a motor vehicle (e.g. motorhome) we believe the “A” frame and car become a single unit and as such are classified in legislation as a trailer. As a consequence the car and A-frame are required to meet the technical requirements for trailers when used on the road in Great Britain.

So, yes you need the motorhome numberplate on the back, lights must be operated from the motorhome as must the brakes regardless of the 750kg weight rules (because the Smart is fitted with brakes they must work when its a trailer)

You should be aware that towing a car with another motor vehicle (motorhome)in Spain is illegal - categorically and without doubt or the slightest grey areas!

Many, many motorhomes a-frame cars through Spain and very, very few get stopped but if you do, your only hope is that you can explain as nicely as possible that in the country of registration (UK) the towed car is a trailer when its on a special frame as in an a-frame and trailers are legal to tow in Spain.

Lots of 'knowlegeable' folks will tell you that a-frames are illegal in Spain so the decision to use one is yours.

We are be a-framing and understand the risks and are prepared to accept them - time will tell if we are being foolish

The worst case scenario is that we may get stopped, if so we may be required to uncouple and travel separately and we may get a fine - or we may not.

Insurance? Make sure that your motorhome cover includes towing and that you Smart insurance covers being towed.

The company we got to supply our a-frame was TOWtal and there's lots of info on their website.

Hope this helps
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
hi all we go to spain every winter & from what we believe to be correct you can not tow a car unless its on a trailer a frames are illegal in spain a couple of years ago in vinaros north of valencia the police were pulling up m/h,s towing with a frames & giving them fines & people on the campsite their wives were driving their cars back to the frence border but i could stand corrected though. will
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Well, after all that and having just sold up in Spain because of all the beaurocracy and rising taxes, I think we will stick to the good old "push bikes" ! The dog will have to either run at the side of us or get used to travelling in a shopping bsket on the handle bars. Thank you anyway.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
hi carol . snap we had the same in france thats why we sold . will
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi we spend every winter in Spain and last year decided to purchase a smart car to take with us so after much research we purchased a trailer.I have read many arguments on other forums about A frames and the legalities of using them in Europe and from choice we would love to tow with one as it is far easier and less hassle when on site but until 2014 nobody knows whether it will be legal or not to use one and talking to friends in France,Spain and Germany who live there in all three it is illegal to tow a car with wheels in contact with the ground whether you get stopped is luck so my best advice is if you can manage this winter without then do and by next winter it should all be clear. We sail today for Spain with the smart and trailer (our first time towing abroad) so will keep you posted tc
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We have just returned from France, Spain and Portugal towing a smart with an A Frame. No problems.
I have a 7 metre Swift and no problems as the car follows campers wheel track.
Legal in Spain? Went through Spanish road check for weight etc and got waved through.
Watch out for local Spanish police, when they need cash you will get a cash fine for anything...
The car must meet British trailer regs. Powered brakes, Triangles, lights and reg number of camper.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi well have got to our first full week in Spain with our 7.1 mt motor home towing the smart on a smart trailer and did not know we had it on the back there are far more police on the roads than we remember from April when we were last here but no problems at all in fact we even had a few smiles we have used the car for shopping and a visit to the market and cannot believe the difference it makes we don't use it every day as we like to walk and my husband does like to cycle but i think smartasse will be with us again next year as it all fits on our pitch with plenty of room for my cooking tent and our chairs and table so no problems at all so far tc
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
That's good to know. Where are you staying?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post