By ianoffor on Friday, 27 September 2013
Posted in Beginners
Replies 4
Likes 0
Views 2.1K
Votes 0
Anne & I are new to the motorhome experience and are planning a 6 month tour of the UK & Europe. We live in Australia but want to buy an older van in the UK for this trip then our son will look after it in the UK until our next trip. We've identified a 1989 Laika Laserhome 57S with a Talbot Express 1500D 2.5 diesel engine. Does anyone have any experience of this type of van or advice as to what to look out for. Its done 79625 miles and recently had new cam & pump belts as well as idlers. All auxiliary belts and CV Gaiters also changed.
Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
There aren't many Laikas in the UK, but I did know someine who had one which he liked very much. I think they are regarded as a pretty good van. As far as the habitation equipment is concerned it's only a lot of parts, so as easy as any other to fix if needed. I believe that the Talbot base is perfectly good, so it depends on the particular vehicle. I believe that it is getting difficult to find some parts, but no doubt if you do need any and are prepared to wait you will get the parts. But I only know what I've read.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for that info. greatly appreciated.
Any recommendations in regard to which are the best older motorhomes to go for?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I'm not sure what I'd recommend on an older motorhome, so much depends on the individual example itself. I would be inclined to look at one's that were maybe late 1990s, as you would

a) probably find any spares for the vehicle were easier to obtain - once you get to 20 years old spares can be difficult - the only exception being perhaps with Mercedes, of which there are so many of their vans worlswide that spares are still reasonably readily obtainable. The other 20+ year old base vehicle I might look for would be a VW, but there are not too many about

b) you are more likely to find a diesel - which are generally more economical

c) everyone seems to swear by Hymer - which would be available across a wide range of ages, and can be found on Mercedes base vehicles

If you go to about 2000, you would get a common-rail diesel engine, which are generally more economical and quieter than the older diesel engines

[As I have written this, I have just recalled that an acquaintance has a Hymer, on a Fiat base, I believe, a few years old which he uses very little and says he is thinking about selling. Mind you, he has said this before and not sold it. I'm pretty sure it is left-hand drive, which would be no harm if you're going to tour Europe as well as UK. I don't know a lot about it, but will make some enquiries if you wish? When are you planning to come over for your trip?]
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks hblewett (sorry don't have your name). This really is helpful. We'll be arriving in the UK early May, but can buy beforehand as one of our sons still lives in the UK and has a sort of hanger that we can store the van in. We may well then keep it there for future trips. We're planning quite a long trip distance as well as time wise so reliability and comfort are our main concerns, but unfortunately have a fairly limited budget. We've identified a couple of Mercedes, but the majority of vans seem to be Talbot/Peugot. We also homed in on a couple of Hymers, but unfortunately they went. Interestingly they some seem to be without ovens and we do need one as Anne has food allergies which means we have to cook a lot for ourselves.
If your friend is really considering selling we'd love to hear about it and get the details.
Thanks again for your advice.
Kindest Regards, Ian & Anne
If your friend
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·