By systemadmin on Tuesday, 22 October 2013
Posted in Beginners
Replies 11
Likes 0
Views 1.6K
Votes 0
It's hi from Norm's & Barbara,
We have not got our motorhome yet as we are looking for help in this department ...we know what we would like and we know there are some out there which close to our criteria :-)

Firstly, we do have a budget, so its got to be secound hand ...so chassis is one with single rear axle with tandem wheels :thumbs: ...so to pull the beasty, we would like 2.8tdi if poss, though most are Ford with 2.4td :huh:

On with the layout ...ok, we need a large garage area to fit a chopper or a small quad, but it would be awesome if it could fit a trike :woohoo: would prefer two side doors for access and small access from inside :silly: ...so the rear bed would be permanent at the rear and hopfully transverse :P the front bed above the cab (captain seats would be awesome too :lol: )and the other double bed can be anywhere as that would only be used occasionally ...my lady Barbara would greatly appreciate at least one draw to keep cutlery in :whistle:

Just one more thing to add, we hate the smell of smoking :evil: so this is the big one ...one that has belong to none smoking dudes :thumbs:

That's it really ...the ones we have see so far are: Caravan International, Roller Team and Rimor of which don't all have tandem wheel axle

So to our future comrades :woohoo: can you help us find something close as you will have a wealth of experience knowledge

Regards

Norm's & Barbara
I think you'll struggle to find a motorhome with a garage that will take the weight of chopper/quad. They fit inside but many are limited to a max. of 150kgs loading - a combination of construction and the effect of the loaded weight levering on the rear axle.

Best suggestion is to go to a couple of dealers and have a good look at the layouts and vans for real. Buy slowly.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Have to agree with that :thumbs:

Payload, and more importantly, rear axle load will be your limit. Realistically I think you'll need a trailer for a chopper, trike or quad.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I was looking at pulling my trike behind my motorhome. I have been to a few rally's now and noticed that these are becoming very popular. The price isn't to bad either about £280 and very easy to store if storing a trailer is a problem
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi philh24,

That is one neat trailer mann ...don't suppose you have any more pic's of it with Trike mounted???

The thought of having a trailler has been thought of, though my reservation's were the security of the trike and trailer!!!

We like other's visited the Motorhome and caravan show ...we met some awesome folks of which some were biker's who had chopper's and trikes and mentioned the theft rate!!!

It's a pain in the butt when you have to go to extreme measures to protect what you've work hard to enjoy.

Whilst on holiday in France this year we saw a motorhome that had a chopper in the rear, but did not see internal layout, I helped the guy get it out on the ramp ...but as he did not speak a word of English and my French is as bad, there was a learning barrier ...this had twin wheels on rear axle!!! Yes we did write the name of camper on paper, but true to form, I lost it ...yes, what a Muppet!!!

So to all, thanks for your replies, its appreciated ...just one one thing for the administrators, can I put my email address on one of these if Philh24 has got more pic's???

Regards Norm's & Barbara
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
...just one one thing for the administrators, can I put my email address on one of these if Philh24 has got more pic's???

I wouldn't put your email address on here.... unless you like spam :thumbs:

But you can communicate directly with each other via your profiles or Philh24 can post any additional pics on here.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Not sure if your allowed to put links to a very well known auction site on here but if you search for Trike Transporter.
The above model is listed on there with lots of pictures and the spec for it. My friend uses his to pull a 1500 goldwing and that's a heavy beast.
Anyway time to pack the motorhome off to Mary Port in the morning for a long weekend hope it stays fine.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Yep, links to Ebay etc are fine :thumbs:

The only links that are not allowed are competitor websites (forums, stopovers etc) and of course traders' own sites

Just as an aside - does a trike have to have working brakes when its a 'trailer'? I imagine that it does....
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You got me there Neil I don't really no. My mates is just as the picture and the trike alone I think weighs about 450kg. There are lots using these at the rally's, the guy selling them sells loads in fact there's a 3 week lead in time.
Most trikes on trailers don't seem to have the braked trailers either so perhaps they are lighter than the minimum requirement for brakes.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You only have to have a working braking system in the trike and trailer weigh above 750kg,so with the dolly you would be well under that.
Looking like this is the way I will go.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You only have to have a working braking system in the trike and trailer weigh above 750kg,so with the dolly you would be well under that.
Looking like this is the way I will go.

I think that a trike on a trailer with a combined weight of less than 750kg will be fine with no brakes. The problem is that when the trike becomes the trailer as with the dolly setup, then because the 'trailer' is fitted with brakes, they have to work to an defined standard.

I may be wrong but I'd advise you make absolutely sure before parting with your cash
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We've just gone through this with our set-up. Just getting a new MH and wanted to pull my Trike, either with a dolly, tow bar wheel lift or trailer behind it and spoke to a lot of people about the issue. The law is such a grey area but the bottom line is if you tow a Trike, or any other vehicle with either the back wheels or all wheels on the ground they have to be braked. It doesn't mater what the weight is and the only exception is for vehicle recovery or emergency services. Even spoke to the RAC and someone told me that even for recovery services they could fall foul of the law when they have to recover a vehicle because the driver falls ill. In this case they cannot use the towing dolly in the van because the vehicle is mechanically sound but instead have to call a tow truck. In the end after a lot of head scratching we decided on an independent braked trailer.
Cheers Daze
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post