By robin on Friday, 08 November 2013
Posted in Welcome!
Replies 17
Likes 0
Views 1.7K
Votes 0
hello everyone, we run a campsite in Wales and can only make a break for it through the winter months! Our daughter lives in Viseu mid Portugal so normally we take the ferry to Santander and drive straight through, but we have recently bought an old motorhome so we would like to drive around the coast from Santander down to Portugal wending our way over a week or so. We would appreciate any recommendations of stopovers as we are worried we will not find anything open? We do not speak Spanish! will we recognize the signs for Aires? any help or advice would be really appreciated. thanks
:welcome1: robin!

Its a great idea to do the roadtrip around the coast of Asturias and Galicia before you enter Portugal. As a subscriber you can look at the stopovers we have listed around there - there are quite a few!

Galicia

Asturias

Obviously your enjoyment may be a bit weather dependant (it's not 'Green Spain' for nothing!) but I doubt you'll have trouble finding Aires and wildcamping spots like those listed just make sure you fill up with water and empty waste at every opportunity .

We spent a while up there a couple of years ago (although in the spring) and it was lovely.

One particular place we'd recommend was here - Paradise!

Hopefully others will be along with some more suggestions :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
thank you for your help Neil
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Robin, :welcome4: I live in "Green Spain" I am about 1hr west of Santander depending on your time of arrival and how far you plan to drive after leaving the ferry port, there is an Area de Servicio about 1km from our village......and it costs "nothing" plus it is right on the A8/N634 if you need any more info let me know, having lived here for 10 years and I know most of the places worth visiting.
regards
Phil
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
hi John, thank you for your reply, its really appreciated, probably with the days drawing in so early we will only drive about an hour from Santander and we get in on the midday ferry so the Aire near you sounds perfect, would you mind giving me a few more details please, thank you very much Robin
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
sorry Phil I just realized I called you John !!! I must be tired
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Robin,
The Area de Servicio I mentioned is at El Peral it is just over the border in Asturias as you come to the end of the Autovia just continue up the hill through the roadworks section (yellow road markings) as you come over the top of the hill you are in El Peral so look to the left and you will see a Restaurante with a big car park pull in there and go onto the lower car park, the bays on the left are reserved for Autocaravanas, the service facilities are at the far end just look for the brick pillar with the tap.There is a cafeteria, and a restaurant that does menu del dia @ €11 including wine we often eat there and can recommend the food.

The GPS refs are N43deg 22´ 49.0" W004deg 33´ 16.8" at the moment it gets dark here about 6.30pm so depending on your actual TOA and being a motorhome you are usually amongst the first to unload so you could be clear of the docks in 30-45mins max the Autovia is just a few 100 metres from the exit so its a doddle from there on.That being the case you could possible make it to Cangas de Onis or further depending on how you feel and the weather of course B) .

In case you are not aware of it, as you come towards the end of the Autovia stick to the 80kph limit from where it is signed as you drop down the hill, it is the last chance for the Guardia Civil in Cantabria to lighten your wallet :woohoo: , they pull you in just before the Asturias border on the wide section of the bridge. The radar car is mostly parked behind the green and white triangular bin that is on the junction of the Autovia and the slip road for Potes but sometimes its before that, on the overhead bridge right at the top of the hill.

Have a good trip ATB
Phil
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
hi Phil,
Thank you so much for that info and just taking the time. Thanks for the tip about the radar too, we are totally clueless at the moment and will learn, but hopefully "not the hard way" definitely sticking to 80kph
all best wishes
Robin
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for posting the info to help robin Xeamus :thumbs:

Would it be OK to extract some of the given info to add to our stopover listings please?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil,
No problem at all
ATB
PHIL
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The Rias in the north west corner of Spain are amazing and there's a really nice aire in Arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmkJxbPYeU
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks Donna, I have ordered the Vicarius Aires book, and we will look out for Arcade
regards Robin
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Enjoy your trip :-)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
thank you
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Do you use Facebook? Lots more information about our travels on here :thumbs:
http://www.facebook.com/MontyTheMotorhome
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
hi Donna, yes I do use Facebook, will have a look at your page, maybe we will learn more tips? Monty is a great name by the way. We call ours Angel (most of the time)anyhow! BFN
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Nice Facebook page and YouTube videos just had a nosy nice to follow what others are doing with there motorhomes.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Do you use Facebook? Lots more information about our travels on here :thumbs:
http://www.facebook.com/MontyTheMotorhome

Hello Donna. Really enjoy your videos!