By Alderney Bob on Monday, 21 November 2011
Posted in Beginners
Replies 4
Likes 0
Views 2.6K
Votes 0
Hi
My wife and I are new to motorhoming and have just acquired a Fiat Ducato in which we intend to travel through Europe with our two dogs. We should like to wild camp as much as possible and so will not be near any electricity supplies for some time. Has anybody got any recommendations regarding what type of generator may be suitable for our trip?

Thanks

Bob
Hi Bob,

With all due respect I would suggest a "quiet" one!

Seriously though, we use Aires and wildcamp for maybe 6 months out of a year so very rarely use hookup, and we survive very well on a solar panel and 2x100 amp leisure batteries. This means we park nice and unobtrusively.

In our experience there is nothing more likely to wind up nearby motorhomers than starting up a generator for the evening. Of course, many do but I think you have to be of a type to not consider others to run one in these situations.

If by wildcamping you mean real wilcamping well away from others then obviously the above doesn't apply.

Just my opinion and I'm certain others wuld disagree.

And a warm welcome by the way
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks Neil,

Yes by wild camping I mean well away from other campers. However there will be occasions when we will be with other motor home owners. Can you tell me a bit more about the solar panels you use?

Thanks

Bob

Bob
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Bob,

We just have 1 panel, not sure of its wattage as it was on the van when we bought it. I think it measures about 5ft x 2ft (ish) lays flat on the roof, doesn't tilt or track the sun or anything.

When we bought the van it had a single 85ah battery and the best hing we did was to throw that away and replace it with 2 x 100s as it really did struggle and let us down a few times.

I've hard wired a 300W inverter into the van and this setup allows us to run 1 or 2 laptops (plugged in) as often as we need (a DVD a night, processing photos etc), enough lighting, water pump and so on...

Half decent daylight is all thats needed to top back up. We've been on the road for the past 3 weeks and only hooked up a couple of times. Yesterday and today has been overcast and mostly raining and we haven't driven anywhere but we have still watched a film and there's still plenty of power left.

I know the battery gauge will be back to the top by mid/late morning tomorrow.

Several of our European neighbours have been running their generators tonight - its personal choice. A few months ago we were parked next to a Swedish guy who actually ran his engine all evening while he watched his TV..... when we could smell his diesel fumes we moved.

Anyway I hope this helps, generators are not necessarily the answer IMHO
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks so much Neil. All information taken on board and really appreciate your time and help. Have a good trip.

Regards

Bob
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post