By DeltaD on Sunday, 01 December 2013
Posted in Welcome!
Replies 14
Likes 0
Views 1.8K
Votes 0
We need to purchase a couple of bicycles for use when touring with the MH.
Any recommendations, and prices likely to have to pay for them please!
I guess they will need to be fairly lightweight. Unlike the last bike I owned many years ago, a Phillips Kingfisher, which weighed a ton!
Good morning DeltaD, we bought a couple of bikes to carry around a few years ago and just went for superstore type ones, mountain bike style and under £100 each.

If they are to go in a garage then 'posher' ones may be lighter/last longer etc but if they go on a rack - its a hostile environment with all sorts of road muck getting chucked up over them, and they more pinchable.

We used a Fiamma bike cover but after a while it was a grubby job to fit it and lately we don't bother with it.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I have just bought a couple of bikes to go on the back of the motorhome. I have to confess I have cheated though and bought folding electric ones and found them to be a great purchase. We use them for just nipping the shops at home aswell so were a great buy and no parking issues.The bikes fold up and fit in the motorhome easily but I do use the rack on the back mostly. Bought a cover from Taylor made which is very good quality reasonable price to.
The bikes weigh 19.5kg each without the battery and 23kg with it,the rack can take upto 60kg so I am well under. I do remove the battery to load them makes life a bit easier.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Good afternoon. Seems like the way to go. We saw some in Carrefour last year but at that time we were not interested in the things. A quick browse today and there are only children's bikes available (Christmas time) hope to get some when restocking takes place. Thanks again!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
They sound like great fun. But think I need the exercise at the moment. Putting on too much weight recently. Thanks for the info.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Bought a couple of reasonably priced mountain bikes from Decathalon in Limoges this afternoon, along with a can of CS gas from another sport shop in the same area. Well we are going to Spain. Hope we only have to use the former down there!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Enjoy your mountain biking :woohoo:

The CS gas may give you piece of mind but I very much doubt you'll need it
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I think you are 100% correct but, having spent the last two winters down there in villas and noticed all the properties, no matter how good a location, are all double and treble locked. The last place we rented had two lockable gates to the garage alone. Just working on the sods law principle, if you don't have it you will need it and if you do you won't!

As to enjoying the mountain biking,....will let you know! :0)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Decided to forget the CS, caused a furore elsewhere. Taking a bat instead the vicar said it was ok so long as we fed it every day ;0)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Decided to forget the CS, caused a furore elsewhere. Taking a bat instead the vicar said it was ok so long as we fed it every day ;0)

So it did! :laugh:

We've met lots of folks over the years who have all sorts of 'protection'. One retired police inspector in France proudly (but discreetly) showed a pistol he carried with a supply of rubber bullets - reckoned he'd used it too! He also kept a CS gas cannister just inside the hab door.

Spain nothing like as bad as the rumours that are spread about.

Vigilance is all that's required, just like anywhere else really :thumbs: .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Went on the bike for the first time today, it's true what they say, you never forget how to ride one.
Sadly though all those years ago I used to ride from Sheffield to Clumber park and back, this time I just managed the half mile to the village. I have found, even with the comfy gel seat cover, they aren't!

Dispensed with the gas for the Spanish trip though, been told there is little crime down there toward motorhomes these days.!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Went for the first ride on the new bike today, its right what they say though, you never forget how to ride one. I used to cycle from Sheffield to Clumber park and back all those years ago. This time I managed the half mile to the village. Found it all a bit uncomfortable, even with the soft gel seat covers but it is good fun.

Won't be taking the gas to Spain however, as been informed that it is illegal down there plus, crime toward motorhomes is, I'm told, almost non existent. Good to hear!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I bought a "Muddy Fox" mtn bike in Argos sale last year and have used it on rear carrier up to a month ago - in garage now for winter , no problems with it (other than my arthritis) I think it was around £90 .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Just getting ready to put ours on the back for the trip to Spain. They might stay there if this gout doesn't get better. Good luck with the arthritis!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Bought a couple of reasonably priced mountain bikes from Decathalon in Limoges this afternoon, along with a can of CS gas from another sport shop in the same area. Well we are going to Spain. Hope we only have to use the former down there!

Several friends of ours have been down to Spain in their motorhomes but only one of them had a problem in that they got broken into whilst asleep and a handbag with purse was taken .
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post