By nastro on Sunday, 15 December 2013
Posted in Beginners
Replies 5
Likes 0
Views 2.4K
Votes 0
I have been reading some stuff on satellite/sky systems for the van but being a newbie I am not sure which system or set up to go for. Would greatly appreciate a pointer or two from anyone who can help.Not sure how it works regarding payment on viewing or if you pay an annual fee up front. Looking for a system strong enough for UK and most of Western Europe...Thanx
I have been reading some stuff on satellite/sky systems for the van but being a newbie I am not sure which system or set up to go for. Would greatly appreciate a pointer or two from anyone who can help.Not sure how it works regarding payment on viewing or if you pay an annual fee up front. Looking for a system strong enough for UK and most of Western Europe...Thanx

Your domestic sky box, along with all the channels you subscribe to are available for most places, though a fairly large dish is required for Spain.
You can pay a lot for a system which locates the correct satellite automatically but lots of people locate it themselves, but it can be a bit ' the third star to the right and carry on till morning', locating it that way but once used to it, you will be fine! Good luck with your choice!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi DeltaD
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Do I understand then that I take my sky box from home whilst away and set that up with a portable dish then ?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello. Yes, that's all you have to do! You can buy a portable dish and a cheap satellite finder. Alternatively you can use a compass to find the satellite, I used that method when I was boating. Must have looked a bit strange using a hand bearing compass on a mooring when you think about it, but the method does work.
I think the cheap sat finder is the better method though!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Cheers...thanx for your time
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello,
I dont use sky at home,too tight,just freeview and freesat.For the motorhome I,ve got a freesat box from B&Q made by Ross.The dish already on the top works for uk and france but for spain I use a tripod and large dish 1 metre.A handy link to get directions dishpointeruse your postcode/coordinates and usually astra 28.2E.Good luck in finding what you,re looking for.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post