By Trevor on Wednesday, 19 March 2014
Posted in Beginners
Replies 2
Likes 0
Views 2.2K
Votes 0
Hi All

We are hoping to begin our European journey in May this year by motorhome, but are concerned about 1.personal travel insurance and 2. VISAs.

1. When we use our credit card to purchase air tickets from Australia, it covers us for 6 months free travel insurance. We can't extend this, should we decide to stay longer. Does anyone know of a company that allows Australians in Europe to purchase travel insurance on the go? One of us is 66, and neither has pre-existing medical problems, plus we are both fit and healthy.

2. The Schengen Agreement only allows Australians (and some others) to travel in Schengen countries for 90 days in 180. As we will be travelling in excess of 90 days in Europe, we will need to apply for VISAs. But, we have no particular schedule, and I believe VISAs are only valid for 90 days, so we will need to apply for VISAs on the go. Can anyone tell us how this can be done, please?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Cheers

Adele and Trev
Hi Trevor

I can't help you on your first query, other than to suggest finding out what you can via google. A friend recently suggested 'Insure and Go' as a good company for older people/long stays, and also 'Staysure' get recommended in the same context, so they might be a good start point. My guess is that there could be problems over any 'repatriation' part of the insurance with an Australian address; is there anywhere/one in UK you can use as your 'home address' if this is a problem?

As far as Visas are concerned, I don't know, but am surprised if it's 90 days total rather than 90 days per country? In any case, if you do need Visas, I think this would be reasonably straightforward - I believe you could get them in the embassy of one country before you visit the next one, or in some cases those countries those many have consulates outside the capital which would be more convenient.

What I do know is that Turkey requires a visa for EU citizens, which is purchased at the border/point of entry - frankly, unless your name comes up on an Interpol list it's more a tourist tax than anything. But apparently they are planning o go over to an 'e-visa system, which is what applies in the US now. If countries have e-visas that would make life easier.

I don't think there's any alternative other than a country-by-country check, if necessary contacting their embassies (in Aus should do?) before you go. But do have a close look at he Schengen agreement before you do in case my thoughts on 'time-per-country' are correct, otherwise you could be spending time you don't need to.

Good luck with all the planning :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thank you. That is good information.

We discovered that we can extend the free travel insurance we get when we purchase our air tickets using credit card. That makes life much easier.

The concensus seems to be to contact the embassy/ies before leaving Australia. I had heard about e-visas from someone who went to USA .... pity it isn't yet available in Europe!
The Schengen Agreement is 90 days in 180 days for the total area, not per country, unfortunately.

We are very much looking forward to our travels, and are grateful for this website and its forums!

Cheers

Trevor and Adele
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post