By Trevor on Saturday, 22 November 2014
Posted in Off topic
Replies 6
Likes 0
Views 3.8K
Votes 0
I wonder if anyone has done research on the best user friendly GPS for Motorhomes. We bought a Garmen Nuvi for a car and it has given us no end of trouble getting us into tight spots. We didn't realise they made GPS specifically for Motorhomes.
So far we have survived, but it would be useful if we could avoid tight spots, and could easily find parking, aires, ACSI campings, etc. appropriate to motorhoming.
I couldn't find a category in the list for GPS ... Sorry if I missed.

Looking forward to feedback.

Thanks

Trev n Del
Hi Trevor
I don't know about GPS designated sat navs but we have a TOMTOM XL bought a few years ago that manages to find everywhere we want to go in UK, France, Spain, Belgium and others. Its possible to download POIs from the TOMTOM website FOC including Aires, Supermarkets and other useful points of interest. Also have ACSI, Caravan Club and CCC data. The satnav enables me to select gps coordinates, post code and addresses so directions are easy. I suspect the Garmin has the same facilities

Barry
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I tried the Snooper (MH specific) satnav ..... all it does is take you down the lorry routes. If you want to see rural & avoid commercial zones then my advice, don't use one. I use an ordinary Garmin, an occasional glance at the map & a bit of common sense ........ & in 10000's miles, I've only ever had to reverse twice, one because a road over the Pyrenees was a tad too narrow & once because of a very low bridge made for little people. Thing is, on both those occassions i was relying solely on the Snooper .......
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for the quick reply and advice. Sounds like I need a good set of maps to supplement the GPS.

Cheers

Trev n Del
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:unsure: Hi Trevor, I too have a snooper a 6400 which only lets me down if I forget to update the maps (twice a year). They are as good as the input. So for going from a-b they do tend to be commercial routes if you are of a size that requires that little extra height-width and weight. To enjoy touring put you thoughts onto paper then tap in where you want to go through on route to your 'b'. Way points. as for wanting to know where you can pull in, the snooper has the facility whereby you can just ask it for camper sites, aires, campsites, along with any charges that are applicable. After nearly 5 years I can honestly say I have only needed to reverse four recorded times.
Safe journeys.
Kontiki 645.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Trevor
I use Copilot on my mobile phone for the car and a 10" tablet for the motorhome. The copilot has an rv facility which shows turns that may cause problems. You can download the app and use it on multiple devices.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Trevor

We also use the Tom Tom 1xl sat nav which we have had about 8 years now, it was cheap as chips.

If you want an indication if the road ahead is getting to tight for your MH then just look out for wheelie bins or bus stops to reassure you.

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post