By bucksfizz on Sunday, 19 July 2015
Posted in Beginners
Replies 3
Likes 0
Views 2.3K
Votes 0
Hello, my wife and I are about to purchase our first motorhome. We have had trailer tents and a caravan back when the children were young. Now we are 'mature' in years we both want to do a lot more self-sufficient travelling and having some adventures ! Does anyone have ay general tips for what to look for in a used motorhome ?

Thanks in anticipation

Paul
hi bucksfizz Paul and a big :welcome1: to the club.Everyone has to start somewhere and hopfully make a wise choice in their first Motorhome.I would say have a good look around all the motorhome dealers in your neighbourhood and get a feel for what you want.Dampness is one the biggest worries for a motorhomer so make sure to check for this and ask as many questions on the history,if buying 2nd hand of course you can usually smell a musky smell inside which is a givaway,in my opinion.Then you come to layouts,do you want to convert the table/seats every night to a bed or have a fixed bed?if so in the corner,sometimes called a french bed above the cab or across the back above a garage?So many combinations so have fun looking to get a feel of what you want or need before laying out your hard earned cash,above all Enjoy your new hobby. :thumbs: B)
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi bucksfizz and :welcome4:

As you have camped before you will have an idea about what you do and don't need or desire.

As for us we had only two main requirements a 'proper' bathroom and a bed that was made up when we needed it. As we were on a fairly strict budget our choices were narrowed down.

We ended up with a 3 berth, A class which suited us well. Had we not been found by a rather large dog we would probably still have it. Nevertheless we had 5 great years with it and are now trying very hard to love our updated version with more storage (as required by our rather large dog!).

We do a lot of continental touring and prefer to stopover, rather than camp. Enjoying the freedom of not booking just turning up means our van is mainly set up for battery use rather than EHU.

Enjoy your search and thinking about how you might use the van and look and loads.

Have fun - Caromac
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Bucksfizz and welcome

I agree with everything that has been said. For us it was definitely a made up bed. We use our MH throughout the year , especially abroad, where the temperature drops below minus for weeks, therefore a heated double floor is essential with both tanks between the floors to avoid freezing of tanks and pipes.

Hope this helps

Spinner :welcome2:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post