By Tom1 on Saturday, 21 November 2015
Posted in Meets and Rallies
Replies 30
Likes 0
Views 5.7K
Votes 0
Hi all, as some know I have had the bright idea of organising some informal spots to meet up a few times a year, so those of us who want to can meet each other and be a bit nosey at each others vans!

Here is the provisional ideas for 2016, but they are by no means set in stone.

1. Saturday the 16th of January. Turfcutters arms in the New Forest (already confirmed as ok by the landlord)
2. Saturday the 2nd of April. Praa Sands, Cornwall.
3. Saturday the 14th of August, Inn on the beach, Hayling Island, Hants.
4. October half term The Victory at Mersea, Essex.

Also we are planning a visit to Warwick castle and a seperate trip to see the Severn Bore come in, possibly in April when the next 'high' wave is predicted, but don't know dates yet but will stay locally in one of the club motorhome pubs nearby, so will make these a meet up too.

I am also going to West Wales either Whitsun week or in August, so if anybody is thinking of doing the same, we could organise something that way too

What are the thoughts on this so far?
[strike] B) [/strike]
Praa Sands sounds good.
Very cold in Flaxpool at the mo'
BW
Max
Max
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Turfcutters, just up the road. Se you there Guys.
Drive safely
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Well done Tom, for going to this trouble. Thank you and Sue and I will certainly try to do what we can.
Take care
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Max, the Praa Sands one is over the easter holidays, I will hopefully be in Cornwall for 2 weeks, so may stay at Praa for a few nights, so it could develop into more than a 1 night thing if so desired. This year it was £5 for the night in the car park.
I will also be probably stopping in Exmouth en route for a night on the seafront too.

Mothy. I haven't ever actually been in the Turfcutters but heard only good things about it and my wife said she would like a walk in the forest.
See you there! :woohoo:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
All good is right.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
These meets sound great, will try to get to the Praa Sands meet if we can. Look forward for any info later.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I will obviously post nearer the time too but for Praa Sands in the meantime look at

http://www.cornwallbeachguide.co.uk/westcornwall/praa/praa.htm

3 of the car parks are owned by a lovely guy called Norman, he welcomes us to stay for as long as we want, in fact he said to me 'as long as you buy a ticket boy, I don't care what you do or how long you stay'!
A ticket was £5 a night this August and he does come round a few times a day to check.
There were even vans with awnings out.
No hook up or anything though, only a car park.
There is a beach bar and café and public loos, shop etc.
I park in the first car car park as you drive in because the view from the cliff top is nice. There is another spot the other end of the beach which is free, but you could only park 2 vans there, I assume it would be nice to park up near each other.

The 4th car park also allows overnight no problem but I cant remember the owners name, something like mother Maggie.
Also a touring park 2 miles up the road if you want some facilities.
So lots of choice within the village.

Here are a few pics of my last visit to give you an idea of the place
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Tom1 thanks for putting yourself out and getting things organised,Pra sands looks to be ok for us as well,says he with his elektroblock in for repair in germany,but fingers crossed we'll be good as new by then :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Severn Bore sounds awesome, always wanted to see it. Hopefully will be able to do that date.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I have never seen the Severn Bore either, however according to the tide heights for next year, the best bet for a good wave is either March/April time or November 2016.
So not sure as yet which time of year would suit best but we can sort something out to suit I'm sure.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Tom1, very good idea for a few of us meeting up, We should be up for the meet in January at the Turfcutters Arm's, hope it comes off. Also should be good for the Hayling Island meet.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Tom

Thanks for arranging this. Will check out dates and see what we can do.

Spinner :woohoo:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The first meet at The Turfcutters is all arranged with the Landlord, I have asked him to provide a red carpet and trumpets when each of us arrive and he agreed!
So we will see!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
WOW! That would be something. I am actually teetotal and don't really ever go to pubs but as a taxi driver in the area for 2 years I am well aware of reputations and comments about local hostelrys! It has a great reputation and is always busy at weekends. It is a beautiful part of the forest too, with 'Hatchetts Pond a 10 minute walk with parking, swans, ducks and the invariable ponies.
My wife is actually amazed that I would even suggest meeting 'people'!. :blink: t just isn't me usually,-------apparently.
Will see you there Tom and we can all make up our own minds and have a good chinwag.
Drive safely
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I'm always up for meeting people and as you will find out I can talk for England, However I don't drink much, I am equally happy having loads of drinks or just supping one all night, depending how I feel.
But my wife is teetotal too, which is handy for me and in fact one of the main reasons I ever spoke to her! Shh, don't tell her! B)

I have heard good reports about the food but the main reason I chose the turfcutters is purely because my wife said she wants a walk in the forest! We do also have 2 kids aged 6 and 8 but I am planning on dropping them off with the in laws on the way down! :lol:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:roll:

Hi Tom1,
I am sorry we cannot make the Turfcutters arms meet as the son is working over xmas, he is a racing commentator which is when we were going up to Leeds, he would like us to go and see them quess when? instead of Xmas.
Sorry again as it sounds a good place, see you at another meet.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:ohmy: Thanks terrible news Ozzy!
I'm sure we will manage without you, just!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Tom1,
We like your ideas :thumbs: hopefully we can join in sometime :woohoo:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
all are :welcome4:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
These sound good, We are working in the morning of the 16th but the New Forest is only an hour away for us so may come by in the afternoon depending on how long people will be there! great idea
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neg,
I haven't thought about it enough to think about exact times yet, but from my point of view on the 16th of Jan, I was thinking meet up more the afternoon/early evening in the Turfcutters, order a meal, have a few drinks and a chat and stay in the car park afterwards.
But others may just want to pop in for a drink and not eat or whatever suits them.
On the Sunday morning me and the family will prob have a walk in the forest for an hour or two, again if others fancy it maybe a few of us will have a walk, maybe not :roll: we will see!
That way people can come and go as they please and do what suits them.

Oh and does anybody have a large printer for the computer??
As Mr Neilmac is the founder and inspiration behind club motorhome, I was thinking we could get a big picture of him and pin it to the wall at the head of the table for all our meets in homage to him :side:

Is anybody else daft enough to agree with me?
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi all,
I know the Praa Sands meet in April was popular with a few, however my family are now talking about the idea of going to France for the 2 weeks of Easter, so we can drive South for a bit warmer weather, especially as Easter is early this year.

Long shot I know, would anyone fancy changing the location from Praa Sands to Western France, probably somewhere towards the La Rochelle area or a little bit north of there?
We would be getting an evening ferry on Thursday the 24th of March from Portsmouth and staying in aires and will probably pick one aire for 4 or 5 days on the coast in one spot.

We would definitely do Praa Sands on another date, if we were to re arrange it. Maybe to one of the May Bank holidays.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
.............Oh and does anybody have a large printer for the computer??
As Mr Neilmac is the founder and inspiration behind club motorhome, I was thinking we could get a big picture of him and pin it to the wall at the head of the table for all our meets in homage to him :side:

Is anybody else daft enough to agree with me?

Here you go Tom

And a clue as to where is might best be put

Great idea about the French alternative for a meet - hope the idea appeals to others :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Sorry guys I have had to postpone the Praa Sands meet from Easter because we have booked to go to France.
I am thinking of re organising for May, what are thoughts on this?

Obviously if any one wants to take up the Praa Sands on the original date feel free.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
More chance of better weather at Praa Sands in May Tom, so hopefully that will be a goer :lol:

Enjoy your French trip :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
One of the joys of a motorhome is the ability to be flexible so it looks like we'll be off to the forest meet.
Not sure about cornwall in may.That's a funny time for us,the grandkids will want to go camping again but we go down the road to Mill farm bridgwater.One of the most expensive times for us but we love it.Also hoping to be setting off for france afterwards.we'll see how things develop. :thumbs:
OK so whose got a dartboard? :whistle:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

I have a dartboard mid, and loads and loads of darts!!

Thanks for the support guys.
Who is up for meeting up in France??
We are going on Thursday the 24th March, on a night boat from Portsmouth and will be aiming for the west coast just North of La Rochelle. Staying in aires all the time.
If the weather is rubbish we may go to Montpellier but I doubt it because I'm too lazy to drive that far when we only have 2 weeks, but stranger things have happened!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Tom

We will be home for Easter, but will be thinking of you guys

Will catch up with you sometime and thanks for trying to get these Meets started

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Now I feel like a party pooper.
We've just gone and won through to our local skittles league front pin finals and as defending champions need to try to hang on to it.
Guess what the date is ?Saturday 16thJanuary
so sorry but we can t make it on that weekend :S
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:ohmy:
That's terrible Mid, you have let us all down, so upset!!

You are expected at one of the other meets now!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post